Massage: pre-marathon or post-marathon? (Read 4351 times)

How were your long runs? If you weren't too sore after them and don't plan on pushing too hard during the marathon, I don't even think you'd need a massage. I need one of these Jeanie Rub Massagers. What I did after my first marathon (what I remember) -Showered -Iced back, knees and ankles -Put on topical pain reliever (CVS ben gay) -laid in bed -Ate some chicken noodle soup -Ate some salty chips -drank 4 Modelos (which bought out the sireninas Cool )

Vim

A Saucy Wench

I don't even think you'd need a massage.
      What does NEED have to do with it? Massage goooooooooooood

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How were your long runs? If you weren't too sore after them and don't plan on pushing too hard during the marathon, I don't even think you'd need a massage. I need one of these Jeanie Rub Massagers. What I did after my first marathon (what I remember) -Showered -Iced back, knees and ankles -Put on topical pain reliever (CVS ben gay) -laid in bed -Ate some chicken noodle soup -Ate some salty chips -drank 4 Modelos (which bought out the sireninas Cool )
        Ahhh...that reminds me...I do have this that I can bring along for use immediately after the race. Mine is about the same, only it has handles on the sides, rather than one stalk type handle: And there will be beer, of course...the race is in Milwaukee. Milwaukee Ale House is providing free beer at the finish for racers. Big grin I really haven't been too sore after my long runs...sure, achey the night of, but no pain whatsoever by the next day, just general tiredness.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, any excuse for a massage, right? Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

I would agree massages are good.

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I would agree massages are good.
              Massages + Beer = Better

~ Sarah Kay

Gig

Oh. You wanted advice. Bummer. I thought you were offering. Tongue I was going to opt for both. I agree that a beer massage would be nice. Perhaps sticky, but what isn't these days.

A Saucy Wench

Massages + Beer = Better
                  Eh...not so much. At least not beer after massage. I had wine after a massage and was drunk as a skunk on 1 glass and it lasted for HOURS. In which case, massage gooood for making me a very cheap date.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Eh...not so much. At least not beer after massage. I had wine after a massage and was drunk as a skunk on 1 glass and it lasted for HOURS. In which case, massage gooood for making me a very cheap date.
                    Damn, I'm a lightweight, anyhow. I'm 2 beer Zoomy.

~ Sarah Kay

Top 'O the World!

Kirsten! Why are you NOT at my house right now! <tapping>> I, being a SPORTS MASSAGE THERAPIST would take reeeal good care o' you chickie! & Nooo, I do NOT mean to hurt you (I wasn't trained for that - exactly) There are benefits to both options (besides relaxation) a good quality sports massage is what you'd be looking for at this point - for the muscle flushing, stretching, ROM attention, BUT, do not get any kind of deep tissue work w/in a week - 10 days of your race - deep tissue work changes the dynamics of the muscle tissue too much to fully repair in that time frame...Before - you're helping prep the muscles for the work they're gonna do...As for after - if you have a light to med sports massage to flush the mucles, etc..you will definitely speed up the healing process.. I would either opt for splitting it into two 30 min sessions (if allowed) or go ahead w/2 full hour sessions ps: if your massage hurts & it shouldn't, be sure to tell your therapist immediately!!</tapping>
                      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

I'd listen to the advice of the actual massage therapists that have responded over me, but... This is your first marathon. Try not to do things before race day that you haven't tested out during your long runs. There will be plenty of curve balls thrown at you on race day that you can't control, so keep the things that you can control constant at least for your first marathon or two. I highly recommend getting regular massages throughout the season, but since you haven't been I think that you are best off just using it to aid your recovery and then maybe planning on getting one ahead of time for marathon #2.

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'd listen to the advice of the actual massage therapists that have responded over me, but... This is your first marathon. Try not to do things before race day that you haven't tested out during your long runs. There will be plenty of curve balls thrown at you on race day that you can't control, so keep the things that you can control constant at least for your first marathon or two. I highly recommend getting regular massages throughout the season, but since you haven't been I think that you are best off just using it to aid your recovery and then maybe planning on getting one ahead of time for marathon #2.
                          I think this sums up what I am thinking on things, too. And I would LOVE to get regular massages...but $$. DH needs to go back to school and become trained to do it for free (or, in exchange for, ahem, "other" things...heh). Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

Top 'O the World!

cheapest way to afford massage on an ongoing basis is to have one off site of the spa/clinic - in other words, either you go to their house or they come to yours - "outcalls" also, although you'd be gambling w/quality, you can look for a massage school that offers student clinics for the newly trained to get hands on practice...I do evals for free massage....
                            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group