Help Me Decide - Mountain Bike or Road Bike? (Read 376 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Okay...going to pick up that yellow cross bike tomorrow!

Like I say, I've factored in the cost of some "accessories" - in quotes because I know some of these aren't really an option, so I'm going to pick them up tomorrow.  I've got about $300 to spend, and I'd like to go ahead and get as much gear as I can, starting with the most important items.  Does this order of importance look about right?

1. Helmet

2. Mirror

3. Lights (for being seen)

4. Padded shorts

5. Shoes with clips (it already has the clipless pedals installed, though I could ask them to put flat ones on)

6. Maintenance/first aid kit (to keep on the bike)

7. Light (for seeing in the dark - #7 because I don't plan on doing this much at first).

8. Jersey

9. Pretty pink tassles for the end of the handlebars

Missing anything, or does something need to be bumped up the list?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

1. Helmet

2. Mirror

3. Lights (for being seen)

4. Padded shorts

5. Shoes with clips (it already has the clipless pedals installed, though I could ask them to put flat ones on)

6. Maintenance/first aid kit (to keep on the bike)

7. Light (for seeing in the dark - #7 because I don't plan on doing this much at first).

8. Jersey

9. Pretty pink tassles for the end of the handlebars

Missing anything, or does something need to be bumped up the list?

Mirror should be between the Jersey and the Pink tassles

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'd bump the mirror down.  I mean, they're useful, but it's hard to see much with them…and you're still going to want to crank your head around to really see what's coming and how close.  To be honest, you'll have the best idea what's coming from behind by sound (one of the best reasons to not ride with headphones -- your ears are your first notification of traffic approaching from behind).

You're likely going to want padded shorts if you're going more than a few miles, too.  We don't wear 'em for looks.  Amazing how seams that you'd not notice while walking around or even running suddenly become very noticeable by about 10 miles in.

Don't forget a seat-bag and an inflator and C02 cannisters + spare inner tubes.  Patch kits are good, too, though I know few people who patch mid-ride.  Though you could use a jersey pocket to carry these things, too.

I'm a huge fan of clipless pedals, but they're not a necessity.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

1. Helmet

2. Tail Light and Front be seen light

3. Seat Bag...A place to carry spare tube, tire lever, multi tool. What's a first aid kit?

4. Water Bottle...and cage if you don't have one.

Shoes...As far as cleated shoes go...This is just an opinion but I'll bet I'm not that far off the mark. The lion share of recreational cyclist that own cleated shoes and pedals aren't even using them.

Most people do not know how to pedal correctly.

If you are riding for recreation and fitness purposes, save yourself a few dollars and go with the platforms like I show below. Those little pins will grab your shoe and do 90% of what cleats will do. Plus you can hop on your bike anytime you want. Run to the store without looking like a tool wondering the aisle in cycling cleats.

Shorts, Jersey...If you feel you need them. You're ass will adjust...if it's hot and humid a good chamios or new fangled pad will help stave off chaffing. The longer your saddle time becomes the more important the shorts. If you are riding with others you may want them to blend in.

Shoes, Shorts and Jersey can eat up your $300 pretty quick. You get what you pay for with these items. A $30 pair of shorts will be coming apart before you know it.

kcam

I'd prioritize a spare tube, patch kit, pump and basic toolkit and a way to carry it ahead of anything but the helmet.

Slo

I'd prioritize a spare tube, patch kit, pump and basic toolkit and a way to carry it ahead of anything but the helmet.

+1

I have it listed number 3 but agree whole heartedly.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Thanks, guys and gals.  I may forgo the mirror, though if memory serves, they're not terribly expensive, and if so, I feel like I might as well.

Zoomie, yeah, that's a good point about something to inflate a tire with.  I'd already figured on the spare tube (included in the "maintenance kit"), but I guess I'm not going to just blow that sucker up with my mouth and fantastic lung capacity, am I?

Slo_Hand, good catch...I didn't notice the lack of water bottle/cage.  I'll definitely have them stick one of those on there (pretty sure DW has an extra bottle around I can use).

I'll think about forgoing the cleats...truth be told, it's just that I'd like to go ahead and get that portion of the learning curve out of the way now, instead of disrupting the development of my form later on by starting on platforms, then going to clipless.  Am I way off base in thinking that?  Also, I don't own a torque wrench, and so having them put the platforms on now would involve another trip to see the shop (which is in the next town over) when I want the clipless ones put on.

Anything particular, besides fit, that I should look for in a helmet?

And, when I was in there last, I noticed they had the padded shorts that were tights, and some that looked more like black cargo pants.  What do I need to know about that decision?  Is this one area where I'll need to plant my flag on either the "spandex freak" or "baggy-clothes-wearing MTB'er" side of the fence?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Slo

Baggy shorts are mountain bike shorts.

Spandex are roadie shorts.

Obviously the spandex shorts create less drag and for those long hauls, less friction areas that may create chaffing.

A good pair of Baggy shorts will also shed water and keep your backside dryer longer. So if you decide to become a true blue commuter where the days climate doesn't deter your commute you'll eventually want some water shedding clothing.

Enjoy the bike. Keep things simple and don't over think shit. You'll discover what you need soon enough.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anything particular, besides fit, that I should look for in a helmet?

Like running shoes, fit is the #1 thing.  You'll pay more for reduced weight and more ventilation, but ultimately they all have to pass the same safety standards.

I've had a few helmets over the years.  Some fit better than others.  Lazers and Catlike seem to fit my head best.  YMMV.  I had one helmet…a Bell, maybe (?) that gave me headaches.  It pressed-in on my forehead funny.  Try a few on in your price range and grab the one that feels best.

~ Sarah Kay

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Okay, the bike is in the garage!  I'm very excited.

Good experience going to pick it up...the tech selling it was there, so we got to meet him and talk about the bike a little.  Not much new information, but a good conversation.  He sure is proud of it (he put it together as a custom build, not sure if I mentioned that).

I decided to go ahead and get the clip-in shoes (is that the right term?), but they didn't have any of the mountain bike ones in my size (I think they'll be better if I decide to do any CX races), so we placed an order after checking the size with a pair of road bike shoes.  They did have a helmet that fit, but it was black with kind of a green "crackle" pattern on it...none of us felt it would do at all to wear that on my bright yellow, pink, and blue bike, so we ordered a neon blue one in my size, and the sales manager let me borrow one of his personal helmets (a "Rudy Project" helmet, which retails for $249!) until it gets in.  They were flat out of padded shorts of any kind in my size, but they said they had more on the way, so I'll go back for those later.  I didn't ask when they'd be in, so if it's a long time coming, I may just break down and order some online.

They also suggested something I'd been thinking about, but didn't want to offend by mentioning: I think blue tape would look better on the bars than the pink.  You know, to match the saddle (the tech said he'd specifically chosen the pink so it would clash).  So, they took it in the back and taped it for me, and put the platform pedals back on so I didn't have to wait for my shoes to come in to ride.  It looks even nicer now, IMO...we were losing the light when we got back home, but I'll take some pics sometime over the next few days and post them here.

I did put as many lights on it as I could when I got home (I picked up a "Thunderbolt" tail light at the store), and took it for a quick spin around the block (it's a rural subdivision with very little traffic).  It wasn't some huge revelatory experience - "running sucks, THIS is how I want to exercise from now on!!" - but it was fun, and I look forward to going out with DW on a few rides, and maybe even riding it to school in the morning every once in awhile!

Almost as soon as I got there, the enthusiastic sales guy from before started talking about a cross race they're having tomorrow, at 2:00.  Which interests me, because after all the talk and looking at a few videos, I'm very anxious to see.  They encouraged me to bring the bike and race it.  They were very insistent that this is something I should do.  I laughingly declined...it just doesn't seem like a good idea to jump into a race less than 24 hours after buying my first bike, you know?   I told them they remind me of my LRS...I've learned over the years that if they alert me to a race that's happening, and they depict it as something fun and easy that I'll love...well, they may be right about the first and last things, but not the middle one!  First time this happened, it was a turkey trot that ended up being my first trail run...an eight-mile trail run over a few relatively technical spots.  Second time was a 25K up and down a mountain, or what passes for a mountain in Arkansas.

So...my first cyclocross race the day after buying my first real bike, having only ridden it for about ten minutes before the start?  No thanks!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So...my first cyclocross race the day after buying my first real bike, having only ridden it for about ten minutes before the start?  No thanks!

You should go heckle -- best. spectator sport. ever.  I suggest Cards Against Humanity for inspiration!

I think you're really going to enjoy the 2nd sport.  It's nice to have a bike for cross-training or simply for another outlet for self-loathing.  Cyclocross is perfect for that!

Can't wait to see photos of the new beast!

~ Sarah Kay

running > all else

Congrats on your new bike! I'm excited for you.

I love to ride, have a road bike.

Enjoy! Smile

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

You should go heckle -- best. spectator sport. ever.  I suggest Cards Against Humanity for inspiration!

I think you're really going to enjoy the 2nd sport.  It's nice to have a bike for cross-training or simply for another outlet for self-loathing.  Cyclocross is perfect for that!

Can't wait to see photos of the new beast!

Really enjoyed watching the race!  I probably could have survived if I'd participated, but I don't think I would have enjoyed myself very much, especially since I'm still - after my whopping 10 mins. on the bike - learning my way around it, mainly figuring out how to get it into the gear I want without clicking around and staring down at the derailleurs while I do it.

Didn't do much heckling or cheering...it was a pretty small affair and there weren't that many spectators doing either (except for the people they were there to see).  Even at large sporting events, I'm not that vocal.  Plus, it was a lot more of a family environment than I gather is the norm for these things - indeed, two of the cyclists were from the same family, one a twenty-something-year-old whose dad told me was ranked something like 10th in the state for his age group in road racing, and the other a little girl, looked to be about 10, just giving it all she had on a really nice-looking Denali cross bike.  Her first race ever, awwww!  She would have totally smoked me.  They had another, even younger one that was going to participate in the 30-minute race (!?!), which I wasn't able to stay for.

Gotta go...I'll try to post some pics of both my bike and the race a little later.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...two of the cyclists were from the same family, one a twenty-something-year-old whose dad told me was ranked something like 10th in the state for his age group in road racing, and the other a little girl, looked to be about 10, just giving it all she had on a really nice-looking Denali cross bike.  Her first race ever, awwww!  She would have totally smoked me. 

NEVER underestimate the kids!!!  We have several <14 year olds in this area who compete in the regular C races…and smoke at least a third of the field.  I used to stay ahead of a few of these kids…that was like 2 seasons ago.  They are getting older and faster.  I am getting older and…ugh.

~ Sarah Kay

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

NEVER underestimate the kids!!!  We have several <14 year olds in this area who compete in the regular C races…and smoke at least a third of the field.  I used to stay ahead of a few of these kids…that was like 2 seasons ago.  They are getting older and faster.  I am getting older and…ugh.

Lol, yeah, those young sprouts have two huge advantages: very low weight and seemingly limitless energy!  Same thing that helps them when they start running races!