How do you stop getting bored? (Read 272 times)

Tiger Rag

Hi, newbie here!

I've been running since July 2011. The original plan was just one race... Some 30-40 races later, I'm still running. But I'm starting to get bored. How do people stop getting bored on their runs? I've recently taken up parkrun in an attempt to do something different. (My local one is trail and I don't get a chance to do trail elsewhere, really)

Part of the problem was joining a club in 2013 who decided that running was more important than other things and expected me to give up other hobbies and race on those nights instead. I got fed up and then left. I'm now at another club. But due to injuries, haven't been for about a year now.

Unfortunately, after doing the London Marathon last year, I kind of lost interest. I then got injured, (it turns out I have flat feet) I then entered a few half marathons, including one in Malta and due to having asthma, it made me rather ill. (I can't cope with the heat)

Thanks Smile

There are many ways to change things up to make your runs more exciting if your running is in a lull.   Run in different locations, with different people, without people, with music, listen to books on tape, run on a treadmill, run up and down hills, run at different times of day, run at different paces (i.e. fartlek).  Always carry a pair of running shoes and clothes in your car so when the mood strikes you will be ready to run.  Any sport can be boring if you continue to do it the same way all of the time.   And now for one last thought - what is wrong with boring?  Sometimes you can embrace the boring.  For many running is a time to meditate and clear their head so the boring can actually be good! 

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

I deal with boredom by making running useful, saving gas, and socializing.  I had one run that checked all boxes:

First to Radio Shack to check pricing on something.

Then to Walmart to get some dental floss.

Then to a construction site to satisfy my curiosity.

Then a young friend flagged me down.  She wanted a hug.

All in six miles.

Running is a good way to explore the area.  Even lightly populated rural areas have a lot of roads and trails within 5 or 10 miles.  And that's without driving to get there.

Also what runsinskirts said about boring.  Just cruise along and let yourself zone out (while watching for traffic).  It's meditation and aerobic basebuilding at the same time.

Orville

After developing chronic arthritis in my knee, I cannot really run anymore. Loved everything about running-races, the suffering, the

suffering, the challenges. Tell you what, next time you start feeling bored, think about those who cant anymore and would love to be in your shoes. Try running trails and enjoy that environment. Sorry for the tough love but I envy you.

Hoban-Jay

If running were boring to me, I'd find something else to do.  What's the point if you're not interested in it and enjoying it?

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

I try to get injured often enough that it's exciting to start over at least once a year.

Runner with a riding problem.

Tiger Rag

Thanks guys.

I tend to get injured most years. I think I've had 2 years where I've not fallen over, including this year where I somehow headbutted the pavement...

I don't drive; but am tempted, now that it's lighter, to get the ferry across the water and do some running over there.

jeffdonahue

I listen to audio books on longer runs.

kittenkatkk

English Villain

I deal with boredom by making running useful, saving gas, and socializing.  I had one run that checked all boxes:

First to Radio Shack to check pricing on something.

Then to Walmart to get some dental floss.

Then to a construction site to satisfy my curiosity.

Then a young friend flagged me down.  She wanted a hug.

All in six miles.

Running is a good way to explore the area.  Even lightly populated rural areas have a lot of roads and trails within 5 or 10 miles.  And that's without driving to get there.

Also what runsinskirts said about boring.  Just cruise along and let yourself zone out (while watching for traffic).  It's meditation and aerobic basebuilding at the same time.

I really am trying to work out if this is a serious post or not.

BeeRunB

Think interesting things.

Adam Gentile

I don't get how people just run and do nothing else, yes that would be extremely boring. First that's incredibly damaging to the body if you only run.  I do crossfit, ride my skateboard, play basketball and also run.

I really am trying to work out if this is a serious post or not.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

, ride my skateboard- Do you skate a 1/2 pipe cuz?

Dream Maker

Think interesting things.

^^^This.

If you're bored, then you're boring.

The irony and agony are killing me - woah
                            I'm not sick, but I'm not wellllllll

BeeRunB

First that's incredibly damaging to the body if you only run.  

Not necessarily. Depends on how much one runs--the total training load--and whether or not it's exceeding what one can handle. Plenty of runners who mainly just run, and know how to not overdo it, do fine for decades, and even a lifetime of running. I know plenty of runners over sixty and seventy years old, who don't cross train, that have been running for decades and are doing just fine. They look strong and have healthy knees and bones. With any kind of training, it all comes down to the training load (which includes hormonal stress form good ol' life as well) as the determination of whether or not you'll stay healthy.

Hoban-Jay

^^^This.

If you're bored, then you're boring.

The irony and agony are killing me - woah
                                I'm not sick, but I'm not wellllllll

I agree 100%!!!