Can you do this? (Read 1672 times)

Half Fanatic #846

She's obviously sitting on the floor - the photo is upside down. 

And the two gals in black and green are trying to stand on their heads. Smile

(Good pic, Mikey!)

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

heather85

I can't do anything.  I can't even touch my toes.  I need a loofa on a stick to wash my back.  I was telling my dad at his doctor's office that I can't touch my toes, and a 70 year old woman near us, said, "Even I can do that and I'm 70." and she did it.   I'm 26.

I just started doing group bootcamp classes.  I haven't done anything but run in years.  In two of the three instructors I've seen, they've made a point to say how muscular I was or how strong I am - and I am handling more weights than people who have been in for years, and of course beating all the gym bunnies in the running section just for experience.  Then we get to the flexibility segment at the cool down and the morbidly obese brand new to exercise girl is stretching further with less difficulty than me.  I barely look like I'm moving.  I know I should work on it but I really do hate it.  I managed yoga for the duration of my pregnancy and never once liked it. I'm so bad at it too - that never stopped me with running, but it's fun.

(Warmed up, I THINK I remember touching my toes barely in sitting position with only one leg out because the instructor said it would make it easier.  I can't do it now though so maybe I'm misremembering.)

vegefrog

I can't do anything.  I can't even touch my toes.  

My husband is bowlegged and was a state champ in cross country. He can't "do anything" either, LOL, when it comes to stretching. Some people just aren't as flexible. If it doesn't affect your running or other activites, who cares!

I do love to laugh at my husband though (not laughing at you) because he just looks so ridiculous reaching for those toes...Wink

He loves to tell the story about how in grade school he won the President's challenge in every event, except the V-sit reach, ha, for which he was in the bottom 10%!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is it sideways?

I'm very inflexible, always have been. I think that some people just have shorter hamstrings. 

I couldn't sit indian style in the first grade.

A Saucy Wench

I'm very inflexible, always have been. I think that some people just have shorter hamstrings. 

I couldn't sit indian style in the first grade.

Yep.  Both my kids have trouble with crisscrossapplesauce (which is apparently the politically correct term now ) and so did dh   no hip flexibility.  In college dh was into martial arts and despite much effort never got past 90 degrees in a straddle sit. 

I have some hip flexibility   but never ever had hamstring flexibility.  I remember HATING the stretch shown in the first post when I was in kindergarten.  ALWAYS put a weird pain in my back and neck.  DD is the same way.  Unfortunately for her because she loves ballet, but already in 2nd grade she is waaaaay too unflexible

With a lot lot lot lot lot of work in HS I almost got to the point where i could do a full split one direction but never the other, but i was seriously working on it daily for long periods of time.  HOURS  I would watch tv in a supported split.  Never did make a straddle split. 

On the other hand, there is a guy at my gym in his 40's who can easily do a split still.  Doesnt look like the type of guy who would be flexible either, but his dad says he just always was.  One of those first basemen who did a split to cut a short hop.

But I can still do full bridge so that is something.   I always wish I had a photo of me in bridge when I was 9 months preggo.   And I used to have hyper flexible shoulders before the car accident.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Wing

Joggaholic

I can't do any of those, but I do have opposable thumbs.

Thumbs

alrighty, I admit I just tried to twist my thumbs into that position.

I will make sure I use the PC applesauce version!  I used to be able to do the splits as a kid and even as a teenager I could lay with my (Face) cheek on the ground with my legs like that, so I assume my muscles/tendons have the ability to stretch that far.  I'm "only" 35, but I'm proud to say I'm about an inch or two more flexible as I can now touch my toes and am almost straight legged when I do it.  You guys inspired me (although not to twist my thumbs upside down, do the splits while standing, or do a somersault). 

Yep.  Both my kids have trouble with crisscrossapplesauce (which is apparently the politically correct term now )

You're probably tongue-in-cheek and know this, but for those who might not ... it's "criss-cross, applesauce, put your spoons in the bowl!"  Not a PC thing, just easier for kindergartners to visualize and respond to.  My kid learned it in about a week of K, whereas he never seemed to get the meaning of "sit down and STFU already!"

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau