Bone spurs (Read 537 times)

Giants Fan

So, after two years of frustrating heel pain I feel like I finally have an answer...bone spur. Apparently the bone spur has many characteristics of a bone that has a stress fracture??? Good news was my PF looked good, so that diagnosis one doctor gave me was completely wrong. The doctor told me I have two choices, have an insert specially made to try and take at least 50% of the load off my bone spur and the only other option is surgery. Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem? What worked??? I would really like to stay away from surgery for the obvious reasons....just welcome to any advice. Thanks!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Well I have had PF for about a year, and an x-ray showed a 2mm heel spur on my right heel. I saw a sports orthodist last wednesday, and I am taking 500 mg of naproxen 2x per day. I am having custom orthotics made on Tuesday, and I start physical therapy next week. He wants me to have PT 2-3 days a week for at least 4 weeks. I go back to him in a month. Right now I can't run. I have ran twice in the last month, and the next morning I couldn't get around at all. Oh, I am also wearing a night splint. I am road biking and pathetically attempting to swim several times per week. I also strength train and use the elliptical and take spin and Pilates classes to stay fit. Good luck with your heel spur, and hopefully we will both be better soon. j dotten
        the celloid form of Silica works to help break down the spur
          Twenty years ago I broke my ankle quite badly, needed 9 screws and a steel plate to put it back together. Anyway I developed a bone spur in my heel. I got a sharp pain while walking (Similar to a pinched nerve) at least once every 1 minute. When I went back to the surgeon, he had me walk around the office so that he could see. Naturally, 5 minutes of walking didn't provide any jolt of pain (Isn't that always the way)?. Anyway he said that bone spurs will eventualy gravitate towards a bone and adhere to it. He said come back in a couple of weeks if it didn't get better. I was pissed, thinking I can't go through this jolting pain for a couple of weeks. Well a couple of days later the pain stopped. I guess he was correct.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Interesting... I think I might have bone spurs on both of my heels. I've never had any pain from them, though. They're just ugly.