What is the single greatest factor on your running quality? (Read 1325 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mine is definitely sleep. Haven't slept well the last few nights (numerous factors, including &*^%^#%$#% cats) and today's run was just yucko. Felt stiff, no energy. Only was out for 45 minutes, but it felt like hours. Sucked, because the weather was actually quite nice, too (not a cloud in the sky, no wind, 35ยบ) and I really could have enjoyed a leisurely run on a pretty morning. Whenever I don't sleep well I have miserable runs. Always. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Running alternate days. When I ran daily, my enthusiasm would flag until my day off - Sunday. On Monday I'd be raring to go again. Big grin But on Saturday I was feeling mightly low. Dead Running on alternate days restores my soul, so I'm enthusiastic for each run. On my off days I cross-train and find myself anticipating and planning the next day's run. Terry New here.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi, Terry, and welcome! I really don't like running more than 2 consecutive days, either. After my HM on Sunday I will be only running 3 days/week and cross-training 2-3 days, too. I love running, but our weather really has me itching for some warm, dry, INDOOR workouts! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

Races. I need them. I crave them. They give my creation life. Ok, maybe not that far. But, let's just say I ran a marathon the other weekend, had to do a 2 mile test this past Saturday, and I signed up for a 10 mile race this Sunday. But I did take today off. So that's something.
            What I eat. If I haven't had enough to drink or eaten enough before my afternoon run, I'm draggin...
            "The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost
              What I eat.
              Yeah, me too. Except for me, if I ate less, I'd probably run better.
              My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
              Wingz

Professional Noob

Hydration status and what my music's doing... Cool

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, me too. Except for me, if I ate less, I'd probably run better.
                  Ha, I hear that! I'm one of those freaks who started running to LOSE weight, then ended up GAINING (and, no, it ain't just muscle, 'cause my pants are tighter), but now I run just because I like it. I'd still like those last 15#s to get off my arse, though. Tongue I think it's interesting how we all have different things that we find are the #1 factor to negatively (or positively) affect our running. Eryn and I were discussing this...sleep or lack thereof doesn't seem to be much of a factor for her, but for me it's HUGE. k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What is the single greatest factor on your running quality?
                    Whether I am wearing shoes.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*smacks Trent uspide the noggin'* Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Did I do any damage...? Wink *sprints away*

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I run much faster when I am chasing down Zoom-Zoom after she smacks my noggin.
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*laces up spikes to stamp on Trent's feet* Oh, wait...I could use that against Jake, too!

~ Sarah Kay

What a good question. I'm always amazed at how much fun I'm having. Even on the days when I'm supposed to be pushing hard to shave some more seconds off of my times -you would not believe how much I've already shaved- I get a jolt, a surge, a shock of bliss right about a mile from the finish. B oing! How I get that jolt is by running in what I call steady mode, staying balanced whether I am just slogging around the section by the baseball fields or sprinting up Cat Hill to Fred's statute. I think it is the eveness of the effort that just bubbles over into joy at the end. Joe(Voted Best Ten Minute Miler by himself)Nation
                              I don't run fast, I run steady.