2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Nevermind. I'm not going to derail this thread.  If someone wants to discuss with someone who lives in Minneapolis, start a thread or DM me.

dps is right.  The nuances in the case would take hundreds of pages to unpack.  Regardless of the trial, it is weird that Floyd is being deified given his background.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Nevermind. I'm not going to derail this thread.  If someone wants to discuss with someone who lives in Minneapolis, start a thread or DM me.

The fact that Biden and other public figures gave their support to Floyd before the verdict will surely mean a retrial?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Regardless of the trial, it is weird that Floyd is being deified given his background.

Welcome to the United States!

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Andres1045

Regardless of the trial, it is weird that Floyd is being deified given his background.

I hate getting suckered in to this stuff, and in particular, on this thread...but this really does illustrate a huge part of the problem--the idea that we should be judging George Floyd, not the police officer. The reality is, regardless of what wrong a person may have done, whether actual or not, if the person is a black man in the US, they're much more likely to be mistreated by the police. The odds are significantly higher for them compared to others. And the mistreatment leads to death much more often than with other groups. George Floyd's death, likely because of the egregious action on the part of the police, did an incredible job bringing attention to this fact. There is no reason to wait around for a police officer to strangle a saint to death over the course of 10 minutes to bring awareness to this issue. In other police brutality cases, there is often a plausible argument that could be made (not saying I would), that the officer was just acting in the heat of the moment. Really hard to make that argument when it took 10 minutes and quite a few people were pointing out the he was dying.

As for the actual verdict of the case, I honestly didn't follow it all that much. But I did read key parts of the jury charge, and have an idea of what the evidence was. I suspect that this would have been a slam dunk case for the prosecution even if the entire thing (from the day it happened until today) received zero coverage. And in general, you'll rarely, if ever, see me rooting for any government to convict any person. That's not what I'm doing here.

Finally, I agree with DW. Before jumping to conclusions about whether the punishment fits the crime, wait for him to be sentenced.

------

So...Boston? I signed up too! Hope we all get in. Will be great to meet up there either the night before or after.

Upcoming races: Boston

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

The jury was sequestered. They would have no way of hearing it. Also this happens all the time. It is not good, but happens all the time. They can appeal based on it, but no judge is going to bite. They are going to appeal 30 things as happens in any murder trial conviction. I interact with the system all the time. This is very common in high profile trials with politician of both parties.

The fact that Biden and other public figures gave their support to Floyd before the verdict will surely mean a retrial?

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

darkwave

Mother of Cats

The jury was sequestered. They would have no way of hearing it. Also this happens all the time. It is not good, but happens all the time. They can appeal based on it, but no judge is going to bite. They are going to appeal 30 things as happens in any murder trial conviction. I interact with the system all the time. This is very common in high profile trials with politician of both parties.

I'm being pedantic (like always) but the Chauvin jury wasn't sequestered until deliberations started.  Until then, they were allowed to go home at night, but asked not to access media coverage. 

Sequestering a jury for an entire trial is very expensive, and can be very hard on a jury.  It's essentially imprisonment, but in a nice hotel room.   No communicating with anyone except with the supervision of the court.  You're in a hopefully decent hotel room, but no TV, no radio, no phone (and you don't get to bring a cell phone or computer with you).

And yeah, appeals will go on and on and on.  In the US you can appeal a conviction/sentence directly.  And then you can petition for a writ of habeas corpus which is US legalese for "the trial that convicted me was unconstitutional in some way."

Here's an example: early in my career, I worked on a death penalty case in Houston.   The crime occurred in 1980, and he was convicted in 1981 (I was 7 at the time).   In 2004 - 23 years later - we won a writ of habeas from the Fifth Circuit Court of appeals granting us a new trial.

That trial happened in 2006.  He was convicted AGAIN, and the appeals process started again.  He eventually died in prison in 2016.  So yeah, 35 years of appeals.

And FWIW, I believe with all my heart he was innocent of the charges.  He was mentally challenged, and saw the police as his friends.  So he confessed to the facts of the crime as the police believed them to be at the time to please his friends.  Of course, later analysis of the crime scene demonstrated that the crime did NOT occur the way he confessed to.  But... there are people who believe that if you confess to a crime, you must be guilty.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

If RLK is running Boston then RLK needs to get her rear back on this thread.

She has mentioned on Strava she is a "runner first" on a few runs. I don't think she will come back. Just like Kev4x400 or whatever Dan's name was. I remember reading Kev's race report when he qualified and the sense of accomplishment he had. I remember watching Dan go for it a bunch of times then just toss in the town until he hits the next age bracket. Sucks for him the times just got faster. Even I struggle to be around this forum now. I enjoyed the years I've been here, and I really liked being part of the conversation. I just understand how it's easy to move on. Heck maybe Ace will drop back in and we can get the WHOLE band back together.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT! When did the Marathon training thread turn into a politics/law discussion?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

done.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

done.

Thank you RP!

Boston this fall:  Looks like a good sized crew from here will be going. When will you find out for sure who gets in? A couple of local runners I follow on strava (including the one whose easy pace is only 20-25 sec/mile slower than their marathon pace ) are signed up. They usually run Hartford in the fall but will be doing Boston which is 2 days later (unless they do an insane double of 2 marathons in 3 days!).

2:52:16 (2018)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks darkwave, for your expertise. The media and dems behaved terribly as usual and put the whole trial in jeopardy. The jury did what they had to do to protect themselves.

Anyway, back to marathon training this morning and lurking for morsels of wisdom from the marathon experts

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CalBears

Thank you RP!

Boston this fall:  Looks like a good sized crew from here will be going. When will you find out for sure who gets in? A couple of local runners I follow on strava (including the one whose easy pace is only 20-25 sec/mile slower than their marathon pace ) are signed up. They usually run Hartford in the fall but will be doing Boston which is 2 days later (unless they do an insane double of 2 marathons in 3 days!).

I would guess we should know who gets in next week. Also, I know two people, previous participants of this forum who will definitely get into Boston and they both running Chicago on October 10th and then fly to Boston for October 11th race Smile. I would face a similar choice if I not selected money back last year for Chicago, when the race was cancelled. The good thing about this for me (as I am trying to always find something good in anything, right JMac? Smile ) is that I will probably beat both of those, any other day faster than me runners, in Boston and then will give them a hard time about that after the race 

I would guess we should know who gets in next week. Also, I know two people, previous participants of this forum who will definitely get into Boston and they both running Chicago on October 10th and then fly to Boston for October 11th race Smile. I would face a similar choice if I not selected money back last year for Chicago, when the race was cancelled. The good thing about this for me (as I am trying to always find something good in anything, right JMac? Smile ) is that I will probably beat both of those, any other day faster than me runners, in Boston and then will give them a hard time about that after the race 

Then I guess the truly insane person could run Hartford on Saturday, Chicago on Sunday, and Boston on Monday. Probably too complicated just for the travel aspect. But maybe some person will do this... Boston + London is a more reasonable double. Still amazing how Patrick did that with both around 2:38.

So you were registered for Chicago last year Cal? I thought you despised that race!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Then I guess the truly insane person could run Hartford on Saturday, Chicago on Sunday, and Boston on Monday. Probably too complicated just for the travel aspect. But maybe some person will do this...

How do you pull off bib pick-up for all three?  Will Chicago mail a bib or let someone pick-up on your behalf?

I guess you could:

Friday:

1) grab bib for Hartford

Saturday:

2) run Hartford

3) drive to Boston expo, grab bib for Boston

4) drive to Logan, fly to Chicago (ideally Midway)

5) meet friend who has grabbed Chicago bib for you (or maybe the Chicago expo stays open late?)

Sunday:

6) run Chicago

7) fly back to Boston

Monday:

8) run Boston

9) self-medicate heavily.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

How do you pull off bib pick-up for all three?  Will Chicago mail a bib or let someone pick-up on your behalf?

I guess you could:

Friday:

1) grab bib for Hartford

Saturday:

2) run Hartford

3) drive to Boston expo, grab bib for Boston

4) drive to Logan, fly to Chicago (ideally Midway)

5) meet friend who has grabbed Chicago bib for you (or maybe the Chicago expo stays open late?)

Sunday:

6) run Chicago

7) fly back to Boston

Monday:

8) run Boston

9) self-medicate heavily.

Good point on the bib pick-up. For Hartford you can pay a bit extra when you register to have it mailed to you about 3-4 weeks ahead of the race. But as far as I know that isn't offered with the big marathons.

DW, your detailed plans suggest you may be thinking to try this triple 

CalBears

So you were registered for Chicago last year Cal? I thought you despised that race!

Yes, I didn't like my only experience running the course in 2013 (the second half of it mostly - but I still ran 2:53 despite of that). I absolutely loved the logistics of the race - for such a huge race the IN part especially was absolutely fantastic, the OUT part was a little longer but I was walking with Patrick and Dan the whole way and it was very joyful despite the distance.

We lived in Chicago suburbs for 4 years, we have friends there, my family likes Chicago a lot, my 15 yo daughter asks me several times a year when I am going to run Chicago again Smile. So, I gave up to the pressure, but covid intervened. Plus, I have to run some other than CIM races too, just to prove again and again to those foreigners from a big island that I can run any course fast doesn't matter what. So, maybe next year for Chicago, though I still didn't run New York, but I am not sure at this point how to get in.