body fat calipers?? (Read 646 times)

Can anyone recommend a good pair of calipers for measuring your own body fat? Nothing too expensive, just basic, pinch-an-inch calipers. Thanks!
    derek

I ordered these yestetday and I should have them tomorrow: Accu-Measure 3000 From the limited research I did, this seems to the best ones to get if you're going to measure yourself. There are others, but they seem better suited for cases where someone else would take your measurements.

Derek

I second that. And from what I've read, they are much more accurate than the scales that say measure body fat %. - R
          I ordered these yestetday and I should have them tomorrow: Accu-Measure 3000 From the limited research I did, this seems to the best ones to get if you're going to measure yourself. There are others, but they seem better suited for cases where someone else would take your measurements.
          Thanks! Would you mind letting me know how they are once you receive them?
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I should probably have a set...but I think I don't want to know. My BF scale makes me sad enough, as is... Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

derek

I got the calipers yesterday and I did some measurements this morning. I used the instructions that came with the calipers which involve just ONE skin fold measurement. I also used the following website which has various other formulas based on various numbers of measurements: http://www.linear-software.com/online.html I only did the Jackson/Pollock 3 and 4 caliper methods. I also have a Tanita body fat scale. Here are the results I got: Tanita: 18% Accu-Measure One Caliper: 23.2% Jackson/Pollack 3 Caliper: 16.6% Jackson/Pollcak 4 Caliper: 19.2% The average is 19.3% I've read that the scale and the caliper methods are all based on statistical models so you never know how accurate they are for your particular body and they should really only be used for tracking trends. The only way to get a true body fat percentage is by water immersion. The calipers themselves are made of plastic, but they seem sturdy enough. There is an indicator so you can tell when you've applied to the correct pressure.

Derek

Thanks Derek. When I had mine done by a personal trainer last time she used the 3 fold measurement. It seems like one isn't quite enough depending on your body type.- The average is a good way to go. Anyways, you are making great progress! Thanks for the info, I'm going to order a pair now Smile
                JakeKnight

Has anybody actually done the water test? If so - where'd you get it done? Can any sports doc do it? Was it expensive? Anybody compared the water test results to any of the above devices? Just curious. I'm wondering just how inaccurate these things are. It would be nice to know body fat %, since the scale is generally useless (I've lost 2 inches around my waist and gained a couple pounds in recent months ...). I like the idea of the body fat scale, because I'm lazy. And don't like being pinched.
                  they should really only be used for tracking trends.
                  I'd guess that's just about right.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

derek

I've never had the water immersion, but these people seem to have locations and mobile units in several states: http://www.getdunked.com/home/default.asp http://www.getdunked.com/pages/default.asp?page_id=LMFXV19533 The link above has some sample pricing. They do VO2Max and BMR testing too. It's a pity they aren't in TX as I might be tempted to spend $50 to measure my body fat accurately.

Derek

vicentefrijole

Has anybody actually done the water test?
                      I don't know anything about these tests, but has anyone ever heard of using electric current to measure body fat? I had mine measured as a "healthy-volunteer" for a medical study (they also did cardiac stress testing with EKG, an echocardiagram, blood tests, etc.. pretty cool stuff!). They simple put an electrode on one finger and one on my toe (maybe a 3rd on my other foot? I can't remember now) and a little device measured my %fat instantaneously. I would think they would use the most accurate method possible for their study (though perhaps they just wanted to compare my number relative to others in the study?). Anyways, this method has got to be cheaper and more easily available than water immersion. Maybe ask you doctor if it's available at your clinic?
                      derek

I don't know anything about these tests, but has anyone ever heard of using electric current to measure body fat? I had mine measured as a "healthy-volunteer" for a medical study (they also did cardiac stress testing with EKG, an echocardiagram, blood tests, etc.. pretty cool stuff!). They simple put an electrode on one finger and one on my toe (maybe a 3rd on my other foot? I can't remember now) and a little device measured my %fat instantaneously. I would think they would use the most accurate method possible for their study (though perhaps they just wanted to compare my number relative to others in the study?). Anyways, this method has got to be cheaper and more easily available than water immersion. Maybe ask you doctor if it's available at your clinic?
                        Well, that's actually how the body fat scales work. When you step on a scale, they run a very low current through your feet and measure the resistance. They are not necessarily more accurate as they depend on statistical models to determine your body fat percentage. It also varies with other factors, e.g, how hydrated you are at the time you take your measurement. Take a look at http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/bodyfatscales.html scroll down to the "How Body Fat Scales Work And Why It's Important" section

Derek

Prophet!

my wife is the most accurate body fat measuring instrument in the world... Tongue , a few months ago she pinched my butt and said...'you're fat' and today its 'you're not so fat anymore' ... now i just need to calibrate that to report as a percentage - its all scientific Cool