Need a recommendation (Read 138 times)

Kifly178

All these metrics are just suggestions/averages or "standards" as you say. Ex. Some folks run at 170spm and do fine, some @ 180 and get injured.

IMHO these #'s can vary somewhat from person to person depending on body makeup & composition. What works for you may not work for me.

I had an extensive gait analysis done by my PT because of an injury (paid by insurance). They couldn't tell me for sure if any of the things they found actually caused my injury, or if fixing/changing any of them would prevent the same injury from happening again. I took the info they gave me and made my "best guess" changes based on what I know about my running form.

I'm not saying a G/A is a waste, in fact I would get one if I was you, but just trying to change every metric that seems off won't guarantee future injuries. As an example, they told me I supinate with my left foot & over-pronate with my right. Sounds like a definite recipe for stability shoes, right? I tried a pair and my knees, ankles & feet were jacked up for weeks, plus I had numerous blisters. I went back to my regular neutral shoe and within a week I was running pain free.

I battle injuries constantly, it can be frustrating. Maybe it's just because I'm older --who knows. I didn't  start running till I was your age, been at it for 12yrs. Good luck in the injury battle.

Lot of great info...Thx for the reply! Your right about everyone being different and injuries can really be frustrating. I had a similar experience with stability vs neutral shoes also. Seems my body prefers neutral shoes with custom insoles vs stability even though I have slight pronation also. Ill continue to experiment. Thx again!

2018 Scheduled Races "so far"

(4M) 2.4 NYC  /  (4M) 2.24 NYC / (5K) 3.4 NYC / (Half) 3.18 NYC / (4M) 4.8 NYC / (10K) 4.29 NYC / (5M) 6.3 NYC / (4M) 6.24 NYC / (7M) 7.5 NYC / 

Kifly178

A visit to a PT may be of more use than a gait analysis.

That may be the answer and I didn't think of that...Thx!

(4M) 2.4 NYC  /  (4M) 2.24 NYC / (5K) 3.4 NYC / (Half) 3.18 NYC / (4M) 4.8 NYC / (10K) 4.29 NYC / (5M) 6.3 NYC / (4M) 6.24 NYC / (7M) 7.5 NYC / 

Kifly178

runlikeagirI

Was it fleet feet that recommended the customized insoles? That's part of their sales pitch, I'd say the number of people who actually need them is miniscule and you can probably ditch them.

I normally get pain on the outside of my knee running down the outer part of my calf when I do longer runs (10+) . I have custom insoles that were recommended by a local shoe store. My Lumo run device findings are as follows....

*Cadence is 170 should 180

*Bounce is 4.10in should be 3.30in. Not too far off

*Braking is 1.04 ft/s I surpassed the standard 1.31ft/s

*Drop is 9 deg. I surpassed the standard 12 deg

*Rotation is 16deg should be 15deg. Not too far off

Kifly178

Was it fleet feet that recommended the customized insoles? That's part of their sales pitch, I'd say the number of people who actually need them is miniscule and you can probably ditch them.

I actually have 2 sets....One from my chiropractor and one from Road Runner Sports. I usually wear the Chiro ones daily and the RRS's when running.