The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That word "suffered" slays me.  Americans are such wusses.

I think this really diminishes the mental toll this is having on folks, especially more extroverted folks. It's easy when you'r older or an introvert, like many runners on this board, to just diminish this as people people "wusses". I know you clarified this with a later post, but I think it's sometimes hard for people to appreciate what it's like for especially extroverted younger folks to be told to stay home for an entire year.

People complaining about wearing masks? Yeah those people are wusses. Get over it.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

And they aren't having to endure blackout restrictions like they had in London during WWII, either.

How do you think it would have gone over back then if someone said "I'm leaving my lights on at my house because I'm not living my life in fear and I'll accept what god has in store for me"? I suspect the neighbors wouldn't put up with that.

We have essentially the same thing now, we can't unnecessarily put our neighbors at risk.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

How do you think it would have gone over back then if someone said "I'm leaving my lights on at my house because I'm not living my life in fear and I'll accept what god has in store for me"? I suspect the neighbors wouldn't put up with that.

We have essentially the same thing now, we can't unnecessarily put our neighbors at risk.

I guess a bomb is a lot more tangible than a virus.

Half Crazy K 2.0

That word "suffered" slays me.  Americans are such wusses.

The neighborhood watch group is something. The suffering was already used at 4th of July to justify an illegal fireworks display, which came after several weeks of OMG, who is shooting off fireworks, this is illegal, why isn't anything done, etc. Pretty sure if you make up a fun activity in place of the normal trick or treating, most kids will be fine with it.

robin from maine

My mother lived in England in 1939. They had blackouts, and wardens to enforce them, as well as rationing (coupons to allow you to have sugar, or meat, or an egg). They didn't know how it would turn ot or when it would end. I think that the extroverts, and probably a lot of introverts, flew fighter planes, drove ambulances, or worked on squads to dismantle fallen bombs or dig people out of rubble.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I think this really diminishes the mental toll this is having on folks, especially more extroverted folks. It's easy when you'r older or an introvert, like many runners on this board, to just diminish this as people people "wusses". I know you clarified this with a later post, but I think it's sometimes hard for people to appreciate what it's like for especially extroverted younger folks to be told to stay home for an entire year.

People complaining about wearing masks? Yeah those people are wusses. Get over it.

Lockdowns are easier if you live in a nice comfortable house with a garden and financially secure with no job threat and are able to work from home.

Otoh, someone living in a high rise block of flats in a shitty area with low income and worry of job loss, looking after frustrated kids and not being able to mix with another household. Well that’s not quite so easy.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

My mother lived in England in 1939. They had blackouts, and wardens to enforce them, as well as rationing (coupons to allow you to have sugar, or meat, or an egg). They didn't know how it would turn ot or when it would end. I think that the extroverts, and probably a lot of introverts, flew fighter planes, drove ambulances, or worked on squads to dismantle fallen bombs or dig people out of rubble.

But there were conscientious objectors. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Well if world leaders and Donald Trump had done more to prevent the spread of COVID 19 we wouldn’t have to keep having lockdowns. Christmas tree lightings haven’t been canceled because we can wear masks everywhere now to prevent the spread of COVID 19. New Years parties won’t be canceled or outlawed either. Very few people will remain locked down and most of them are probably like my friend who was in panic mode for March - May and is now not too worried about going to public places except his office because working from home is nicer than commuting 45 minutes. Shitty living and job loss isn’t as bad as being forced to stay home another 6 months to prevent the spread. Society ‘needs’ this holiday family mass gathering to prevent more problems. Without leaving home to see people we haven’t for a few months people might go insane. Screw Covid. Our sanity and mental health is more important.

Lockdowns are easier if you live in a nice comfortable house with a garden and financially secure with no job threat and are able to work from home.

Otoh, someone living in a high rise block of flats in a shitty area with low income and worry of job loss, looking after frustrated kids and not being able to mix with another household. Well that’s not quite so easy.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Well if world leaders and Donald Trump had done more to prevent the spread of COVID 19 we wouldn’t have to keep having lockdowns. Christmas tree lightings haven’t been canceled because we can wear masks everywhere now to prevent the spread of COVID 19. New Years parties won’t be canceled or outlawed either. Very few people will remain locked down and most of them are probably like my friend who was in panic mode for March - May and is now not too worried about going to public places except his office because working from home is nicer than commuting 45 minutes. Shitty living and job loss isn’t as bad as being forced to stay home another 6 months to prevent the spread. Society ‘needs’ this holiday family mass gathering to prevent more problems. Without leaving home to see people we haven’t for a few months people might go insane. Screw Covid. Our sanity and mental health is more important.

I think liquor store guy has told his followers to put you on ignore. 

My point was that lockdown is a lot harder for the less privileged folk...and domestic abuse has rocketed.  But of course it was much harder for everyone in WWII. 

Running Problem

Problem Child

My point was that lockdown is a lot harder for the less privileged folk...and domestic abuse has rocketed.  But of course it was much harder for everyone in WWII. 

I know it’s a lot harder for them. In my area it seems like the less privileged have less options to work from home as well. A few New Year’s Eve fireworks displays are being canceled. I don’t know how we can have those events when covid 19 is still going on though. No vaccine in sight. It hasn’t stopped spreading. 224,000 dead and rising, but people have to go see grandma cuz she might die from old age this year. This is nothing like World War Two. This isn’t even 9/11. I’m just hoping Joe Biden wins the election so we finally get a grip on Covid 19 and people take it seriously again after the holidays when we have the 1 year anniversary. Maybe then we can start thinking about what we can do to stop the spread because whatever we have done to this point hasn’t worked. National lockdown is my vote.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

kcam

I hate this thread because it makes RA just like LR.  Pretty soon we'll all hate each other.  But, before I go over to my running log, this is the thread I open first.  Go figure.

'Liquor store guy' has him on lockdown because we (well, me) can't really figure out what he's even saying.  It'd be better if he just dropped the sarcasm from this posts and tried the straight-up approach.  He's really bad at sarcasm, or at least that's about all I can figure out from his posts.  Is he for lockdowns, is he for mask-wearing, is he for hand-washing, is he for dogs or is he for cats?  I can't tell what in thee hell position he's advocating for on anything.  JeezusHKrist just say what you think and quite trying to be so cute with your writing, man.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I never said I was being sarcastic. I guess saying I’m for a national lockdown is confusing and hard to understand to you. It’s really confusing TO ME when people in this thread have said we need to distance and wait for a vaccine then want to question others for wearing gloves in public or say ‘well the kids need it’ and justify going to see people they haven’t been associating with just because it’s a holiday weekend. Commonly holiday weekends have caused an increase in COVID 19 cases so maybe I’m wrong in thinking people want COVID 19 to go away. Maybe I’m wrong thinking the people who said we can’t do anything until a vaccine is available are hypocrites. I’m not sure how much more of a ‘straight up approach’ you want if you read the words I type as meaning anything other than their literal meaning.

I hate this thread because it makes RA just like LR.  Pretty soon we'll all hate each other.  But, before I go over to my running log, this is the thread I open first.  Go figure.

'Liquor store guy' has him on lockdown because we (well, me) can't really figure out what he's even saying.  It'd be better if he just dropped the sarcasm from this posts and tried the straight-up approach.  He's really bad at sarcasm, or at least that's about all I can figure out from his posts.  Is he for lockdowns, is he for mask-wearing, is he for hand-washing, is he for dogs or is he for cats?  I can't tell what in thee hell position he's advocating for on anything.  JeezusHKrist just say what you think and quite trying to be so cute with your writing, man.

VDOT 53.37 

rlopez

I guess I am 'liquor store guy'. Ok then.

I hold no power nor influence over anybody here. No 'followers'. Shit, I didn't even post at all for a few years. When I came back, a few people thought it was someone trolling my ghost and posing as me. Ha. This place used to be a lot more active than it is now... which makes sense in 2020 given that message boards are a very 1990s and 2000s approach to group interaction. But it was REALLY active and usually we were nice to each other, but sometimes we were not. And sometimes we "discussed" stuff, and sometimes we just got pissy with each other. As is the way on message boards.

What's weird now is that a few folks HAVE BEEN actively trying to screw with the people who hold actual power. And not in a cutesy, subversive, kinda humorous way. Just outright being jerks.

Anyway, I've stopped interacting with a couple of you partly because of that and partly because there's no point. Nothing comes of the discussion and it isn't even fun to riff on yall for it. It's just exhausting. It's too hard to figure out what you are talking about, and it always feels like yall laying a trap. Step on your own rakes, IDGAF. 

My guess is that others have come to similar conclusions. "Don't feed the trolls" always works. Sometimes I do it anyway, for fun, but saying nothing always works.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Whaddya mean, 'no followers'?  WE ARE YOUR CULT!

#artbydmcbride

Whaddya mean, 'no followers'?  WE ARE YOUR CULT!

Shhh, the first rule of Liquor Store Guy Cult is to not talk about the Liquor Store Guy Cult  

Runners run