Older Runners Have Lower Mortality (Read 666 times)

What is the optimal weekly running mileage for maximal longevity? Big grin http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/1598.html
    OLDER RUNNERS APPEAR TO POSTPONE DISABILITY, HAVE LOWER MORTALITY Gabe Mirkin, M.D. A study from Stanford University in the Archives of Internal Medicine shows that older people who run and participate in other aerobic activities are less likely to die than people who do not run. Non-runners were more than three times more likely to die than runners, but that is not the exciting news. The more important finding is that older men and women who exercise regularly are far less likely to suffer any form of disability than people who do not exercise. How long you live is not as important as the quality of your life while you are alive. Most Americans over 70 cannot run or even walk fast. Most Americans over 70 can't lift a 25 pound weight over their heads. Most Americans over 70 cannot do common household tasks that require strength, such as fixing a stuck door, removing leaves or snow from their driveways or lifting heavy objects. Regular runners over 70 could do all of these tasks and much more. The researchers studied 370 member of a runners club for people aged 50 years and older, and 249 community members who did not belong to the running club. They were between 50 and 72 years of age at the start of the 13-year study. The runners had far lower death rates, which was expected, and far less disability, such as osteoarthritis, which is impressive. At the 13-year follow up, the average age of the running club group was 70.9 years and the average age of the community controls was 73.6 years. The running club members had far fewer medical problems than the non-club members, and the non runners were in such poor health by comparison that they appeared to be living in a different community. In addition, the rate of progression to various levels of disability was much slower among runner's club members than the control group. The authors concluded that "with healthy lifestyles, disability can be postponed until a few years before death, when it develops at an increasing rate." Postponed development of disability in elderly runners - A 13-year longitudinal study. Archives of Internal Medicine, 2002, Vol 162, Iss 20, pp 2285-2294. BWE Wang, DR Ramey, JD Schettler, HB Hubert, JF Fries. Wang BWE, Univ Tennessee, Ctr Hlth Sci, Dept Med, 956 Court Ave, Room G326, Memphis,TN 38163 USA

Hey, nice marmot!

My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

milkbaby

I don't think they need to qualify most Americans over 70 for some of those things... Probably most Americans can't run or lift a 25 pound weight over their head, PERIOD. One problem with the study is the possibility of self-segregation into the running versus non-running population. Maybe people who are healthier are more likely to be in a running club, so it's not necessarily the running that makes them healthy but it's because they are healthy that they can run. It's probably not that simple but a mixture of both (healthy people like to run AND running helps make you healthier).
        "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
          I have to agree with you on this one milkbaby sometimes I am surprise at the conclusion of some studies when they do not make clear all the other attendant factors that might affect the results.
            The only place that there's a judgement call there is the line 'The authors concluded that "with healthy lifestyles, disability can be postponed until a few years before death, when it develops at an increasing rate." ' The rest of it is the results. You can argue causation vs. correlation until you're blue in the face, but it doesn't matter in the end, the regular runners were doing better. There may be a higher rate of 'healthy' behavior in the group that's running, or at least a lower rate of grossly 'unhealthy' behavior, but the factor that they looked at was physical activity, namely running. There was some pretty weird stuff on the dr.mirkin site btw.