Lasik anyone? (Read 699 times)

For those of you hoping to see better at night...some people have problems with "halos" or "starbursts" around lights at night. When I got my procedure done (back in 2001, with a re-do 3 months later to get perfection), I chose to do the more expensive procedure (at the time), that corrected over a larger portion of your eye. This was supposed to help prevent the halos, and I had no problems after the first couple of weeks (once my eyes were well on their way to healing). It may be completely different technology by now, though. I was 29 when I had the procedure, and was told at the time that I would most likely need reading glasses when I reached my 40's. I have a few years to go, so I'll have to wait and see if/when that happens. Lorrie
    spacityrunner

Disclaimer: All of this is my opinion and my opinion only...there is no science in this reply Big grin I had lasik ten years ago...yep. Ten. It was and is still the best thing I could of done. I also had the monovision and I still don't need reading glasses (I am 52 y.o.) but, and here is the catch, I might someday, even with the monovision. It has been a wonderful experience for me, but I did suffer from halos for many years. Not so much now. That was not so horrible, different, but not horrible. It was great for me, but it is surgery on your eyes and there are risks involved and you must be willing to accept the risks. Now is not the time to bargain shop. When I had it done it was fairly new, very expensive ($5000 for each eye but got a discount for doing both at the same time) and still very controversial (there were no lasik factorys) and only a handful of eye docs were even qualified to do it so it make the picking easier. There is no right or wrong answer. If you want it, do the research, do your homework, and then you decided if the benefits outweigh the risks. For me they did. I don't care how much I had to pay for it, I love the FREEDOM!!! Smile MTA: correct pricing for 1997...my memory sucks! Spend it now, you won't even remember it ten years from now Big grin

Trails Rock!

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Some people also get "floaters" in the eyes too. I have them, but they don't really bother me - most of the time I forget about them. Floaters look like little black specs in your vision that float around.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I forget about everything - I also have dry eyes...but no biggie. I just take a drop in the a.m. and p.m. (non-prescription) per directions from my eye doc.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Timbodeener

I can say that with my surgery almost 2 months ago now...I never had any issues at all with halos or dry eyes. Night vision sucks because of the monovision but I know that will go away when I get the enhancement done. All in all, I belive it's a very safe procedure although there are always risks.
              I'd forgotten this too, but, I also have dry eyes as a result of LASIK. Usually just basic eye drops when I wake up and before going to bed keeps this under control. My husband, who had LASIK done about 6 months before I did, has had severe dry eyes ever since. He has to put drops in his eyes several times a day, and sometimes has to switch to thicker drops to get relief. He also puts an eye gel in his eyes every night. All of this is OTC stuff. Of course, he could probably go to the doctor and get something that would be more effective. But, he doesn't "do" the doctor thing well. I don't know that there is any way to predict the severity of the dry eyes before having the procedure done. Lorrie
                Lorrie, Did your husband wear contacts before the surgery ? If so, did they dry out easily? Mine do, on occassion... But, that might not be a factor with dry eyes after surgery.. I need to consult with a doctor... I personally would be really bothered by putting in drops and ointment throughout the day. Also, the halo thing kind of freaks me out too.

- Anya

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I'd forgotten this too, but, I also have dry eyes as a result of LASIK. Usually just basic eye drops when I wake up and before going to bed keeps this under control. My husband, who had LASIK done about 6 months before I did, has had severe dry eyes ever since. He has to put drops in his eyes several times a day, and sometimes has to switch to thicker drops to get relief. He also puts an eye gel in his eyes every night. All of this is OTC stuff. Of course, he could probably go to the doctor and get something that would be more effective. But, he doesn't "do" the doctor thing well. I don't know that there is any way to predict the severity of the dry eyes before having the procedure done. Lorrie
                  I'm similar in that I use a lighter drop in the a.m. and a more concentrated drop in the p.m. My eye doc actually recommended what I use (he even gave me sample bottles) and both are OTC. Every so often, I'll put a drop in midday, if needed. I tried contacts many years ago when I was in middle school, but was prescribed the hard contacts (do they even make those anymore) and it was a disaster - I had a hard time wearing them and ended up with eye infections and my vision problems DOUBLED during the year I had contacts. My eye doc immediately got me back into glasses. Still, the dry eyes and floaters and even the enhancement I had to have are so worth it.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Lorrie, Did your husband wear contacts before the surgery ? If so, did they dry out easily? Mine do, on occassion... But, that might not be a factor with dry eyes after surgery.. I need to consult with a doctor... I personally would be really bothered by putting in drops and ointment throughout the day. Also, the halo thing kind of freaks me out too.
                    Yes, my husband wore contacts for years. He even had the extended wear disposable contacts (the ones you can leave in overnight for several days, then throw them out after a week...two weeks... I don't remember exactly). I asked him, and he remembers having to use rewetting drops when he woke up in the morning, and occasionally at other times, but not nearly to the extent that he does now. I'd definitely talk over your concerns with your doctor. As I mentioned, my husband has not done that, and there may be some better options for dry eyes if that becomes an issue. I'm not sure if the halos are still a frequent problem with the new technologies being used currently. I didn't have problems after the first couple of weeks with the newer, more expensive (at the time) procedure, and you'd think things would have only improved over the last several years. As others have mentioned, you are the only one that can make the decision as to what is right for you. But for me, the benefits of being able to see without glasses or contacts (after 15+ years of them) have been well worth it. Also, just as a heads up since you wear contacts... you will most likely have to go without your contacts and wear glasses for some period of time (I don't recall how long it was for me) before having LASIK. Again, this is if things haven't changed over the past few years. The reason for this, if I recall correctly, is that even soft contacts will have some effect on the shape of your cornea. So, you have to give your eyes some time to go back to their "natural" shape before having the surgery. Lorrie
                      Thanks Lorrie!

- Anya