Arbor Day "Race" Report (Read 501 times)

A Saucy Wench

First of all...ok, now I know why people dont count some races in their PR group. The start was in a park on a path..kind of. Then a guy walked out into the path and said "I am the start line" (no marker or anything so no measurement.) The spot was picked mostly because the built in barbecue by the pavilion made a nice stand for the clock. Then a woman said "bang" We all looked at her in confusion. She said "that was the starting gun...GO" I wasnt racing today, a friend of mine wanted to restart running by running the 10K so I agreed to run with her at her pace. It was a 5K/10K and very very informal. At the one major intersection the volunteer stopped the runners to let the cars through. ANyway, it was a beautiful day and I am glad I wasnt trying to PR on the 5K (my original plan). They only had walking category on the 5K and so my friend and I were dead last in the race...good stuff!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

"bang" "that was the starting gun...GO"
      ROFLMAO!! Not even ready, set, go? Sheesh, even in kindergarten we knew enough to do that! Shocked

Another Passion

They did have a finish line then or... are you still running? Big grin

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

A Saucy Wench

The finish was just as hilarious. The finish clock was still sitting on the edge of the barbecue, kind of at an angle and lots of people were milling around in the path. Not really sure where the "line" was. There was a 20 foot stretch where people were clapping for people finishing...so somewhere in there. On the one hand...I felt funny being dead last...I expected there to be some walkers or woggers in a community run, but they all did the 5K apparently. We were in at just under an 11 mm pace. I am pretty sure I have run slower than that in a race at some point. It was only a couple minutes off the 10K i did a couple years ago. I just looked it up, we were actually faster than the 10K I did 2 summers ago and we were mid pack that race.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Prince of Fatness

There was someone standing in the street down a ways yelling "STOP" to all of the runners. At least that's my guess. Seriously though I only had the opportunity to pace someone once, and had a great time doing it. Glad you did too, Ennay.

Not at it at all. 

OMG!! This is so funny!! Big grin Big grin Love it!!