Curious as to how the Garmin Ant+ works (Read 86 times)

ckerr1999

More of a curiosity question. When I complete my runs. I stick my Ant+ USB stick into my computer and my Garmin automatically transfers all my run data to Garmin Connect. Then after I unplug my USB stick. I then proceed to upload my run data to a couple of other different sites. However given my USB stick is unplug, it is not transferring the data directly from my watch. I am assuming it is accessing a directory somewhere on my computer and retrieving the data from there???? And if so what directory??? Thanks

an amazing likeness

You're correct -- the workout data is pulled from the device by the ANT agent and stored on your computer. There will be a directory (folder) in the appdata corresponding to your device's ID and the data is there.

Garmin tech support has a nice summary page (link) with the specific folder locations for the various common Windows/Mac versions.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

You're correct -- the workout data is pulled from the device by the ANT agent and stored on your computer. There will be a directory (folder) in the appdata corresponding to your device's ID and the data is there.

Garmin tech support has a nice summary page (link) with the specific folder locations for the various common Windows/Mac versions.

Thankyou.

steph  

ckerr1999

Thank you. I am finding my transfers are taking long now, I guess because I have so 5 months of data in the watch. Shoud I be deleting all my run data from my watch. Or just delete the data from the directory on my computer, and will this speed up the data transfer.

an amazing likeness

Purely anecdotal, but generally it does seem that purging old workout data from the GPS device has an impact on import time -- the ANT agent appears to spend less time working through all the workouts stored on the device in order to pull new workouts into the PC. Talking to the GPS device is slow compared to working with the files already on the PC.

I use the history purge to clear old workout data from the device every couple weeks.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

ckerr1999

Thanks. Deleted all my previous activities from my Garmin, and the ANT transfer is much faster. However is it recommended going into the Garmin directory on my computer and deleting all the activities. I also use the sporttrack software and find the transfer is taking much longer as time goes on as the number of activities in the directory increases. Thanks