How to Find My Next "Gear"? (Read 690 times)

Have kind of an odd question, maybe, regarding running faster. I'll try to explain, and hope you guys have some suggestions. I've been progressively racing/running faster, but lately, I feel like I'm at the top of my speed range. I've been doing like a 6:20 pace on my hard days, and it seems like I can't run a little faster than that. Like, when I was running 7:00 on my hard days a little while ago, I felt like I could maybe run my last half mile with a little kick, and maybe hit 6:45. Or I could do repeats, and maybe go at 6:30. But as I've gotten faster for my comfortable speed, my top speed just doesn't seem to be moving much. It seems like if I can go and run a 6:25 mile three times, then I should be able to go do a quarter mile at the track at like a 6:00 pace. But when I go to the track and run, I'm just barely faster than when I'm running trails. I know I can run faster, as last year we did some sprint races, and I can run 100m in like 12 seconds, so physically I can go faster, but there seems to be a break between my sprinting speed and my running speed. Does that make any sense at all? It is almost like my form is different between my sprinting and distance running. Could that be possible? Is there a way to bridge that? Is it just mental? Heh. Anyway, I am getting close to the point where I'm going to need to adjust my form or something if I'm going to keep improving. Anyone have some suggestions? I'm thinking of adding some really short intervals, like 100-200m, and see if that helps, and maybe doing some hill repeats. Other drills or workouts that might be beneficial?
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

First thing that jumps out is this: August: 52.2 Mi July: 76.2 Mi June: 72.1 Mi May: 58.9 Mi April: 29.0 Mi Run more miles. A lot more miles. Like 150+ a month. Or even 200 a month. Most of your miles should be run at a consistent easier pace. Once you are doing that you should be able to dip into a few faster workouts. That is step 1...

Why is it sideways?

...there seems to be a break between my sprinting speed and my running speed.... I'm thinking of adding some really short intervals, like 100-200m, and see if that helps, and maybe doing some hill repeats. Other drills or workouts that might be beneficial?
        All good ideas. Trent is also right. I think that one of the things that separates the best runners from the rest is that they have a variety of paces at their disposal. This variety comes basically from practice running different paces (simple to understand--hard to achieve). So, running short intervals (and eventually, longer intervals) at the paces you want to feel comfortable at makes good sense. You can build that bridge you are talking about by focusing specifically on the intermediate speeds once or twice a week and by adding strides after your easy runs a couple of times a week. One thing I'll add is that you'll be better off focusing on running the pace you want in a relaxed way instead of making specific adjustments to your form. The form will come with the strength (see Trent's point) to run fast comfortably. It's useless and sometimes counter-productive to work on form without having the foundation of strength that is necessary to run fast in a relaxed fashion.
          Good points. Bottom line though.. why are you worried about your top speed? It sounds like you are doing well to get your quicker days down around 6:30. I tell my kids, the ones that have a kick at the end are not always the fastest kids... just the best conditioned kids. I don't think many olympic 100m guys would go very fast at the end of a 10k race. Doing strides at 100m to 200m a few times a week is good. concentrate on keeping the upper body completely relaxed... shoulders down and cheeks bouncing. (face cheeks) When are you going to start running w/ Llama & Xhoosier & the Dave's gang? We (not Llama) are running this sat from Stranahan at 6:45 for an hour and then picking up a second group at Stranahan at 7:45. FYI
          Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD
            One thing I do notice and was reminded of today while our team was doing form work. A lot of people run w/ their arm locked at a 90 degree angle... on the back swing it needs to open up slightly w/ relaxed hands. A good drill to help with what I believe you are talking about is a 100m stride that spends about 30m at top speed. Start at 70% and gradually increase to 100% carried through a 30m zone and then decelerate down to 70 % Two tricks are to have a gradual increase/decrease and keeping form (would help you w/ bridging). Referred to as "gaits" at our school because the fast zone was between 2 gaits on the stadium fence. When you are doing a 400m and workouts you are somewhere between 70 and 100%.
            Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD
              Thanks for the tips Cougar, I'll try a couple of those the next time I make it to the track for an intense day. I'm not terribly concerned with the speed, I was just wondering if it was common, or there is something breaking down in my form as I transition. I'm not really planning on changing my training drastically to deal with it, but might try a few of the mentioned drills/workouts to help me with my form. I think when I run close to my fastest right now, I tend to get a little sloppy and/or tense. As far as running with some of the others, I haven't really run with any groups too often. At the start of the season, I felt I couldn't really keep up with a group, as I was not in running shape, so I got in the habit of running alone. Where do those groups you mention post their run schedule(s)? I know there is a group that runs at Sidecut on Thursdays, but I have other commitments that night for a couple more months yet. So to sum up this thread, don't worry too much about the speed, it will come with the conditioning, but I can do some strides/pickups/hills to help with my form and speed transitions if it fits into my schedule.
                Have you seen this site? http://www.davesrunning.com/forums/index.php A good group of local runners at all levels. My thought on running with other runners ....it makes you better.