December swimming (Read 982 times)

TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

Trying to stir things up a bit here. I haven't run this week. No injuries, just free lunches and lots of snow. Oh well. Nov/Dec are my slacker months. Long swim today. 1.2 miles or 2100 yds straight. 44 minutes (36:40 pace). Whine of the day. My 44 min time is a close estimate because as of today, 5 out of 5 clocks at my pool are BROKEN! 4 portable poolside clocks and a 3 foot diameter wall clock. Sheesh. I use a pool clock to count laps. So I took one of the portables, and as I walked out of the pool I told the pool director I was taking it home to fix it. He said....ok. Anybody else swimming. Winter is swim season! Craig

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

Mishka-old log

I'll be swimming soon. Your clock situation is about as ridiculous as my pool situation. I have a Bally's membership, but I'm afraid of what nasty micro-organisms live in the cloudy water. The other options are a few local schools that charge on a per-swim basis and are not open when shcool is not open. Can't wait to get going though. Once you get over the initial hump, swimming is a great x-training exercise.
      TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

Mishka, Usually that cloudiness is a result of the maintenance types goofing up on the unused Cl vs the Cl that has been used up. It doesn't mean the water is "dirty". It also doesn't mean it's not dirty. But generally the only thing that can live in pool water is humans. CRaig

Mishka-old log

Sometimes it's not just the live stuff. From my log entry on 2/25:
          I also had a rather unpleasant surprise on the 500 pull set at the end. A stray, presumably female, hair found a temporary home on my face at about 250. Having paddles strapped to my hand made it impossible to pinch the hair and set it free. And no contortion of my face, or expolsive exhalation did anything to jar it loose, so I finished the last 250 of the interval with my new friend. Disgusting.
          Granted, that could happen anywhere. But during that time, I was swimming more and more and I started getting a rash on my arms. I quit swimming there and the rash subsequently went away. The correlation freaks me out too much to give it another chance.

go Care Bear go!

Craig... 5 out of 5??? Roll eyes That is just wack! What is it, a dead battery or something?!! Too funny that he didn't seem too concerned you were taking it with you. Hope it's an easy fix. Mishka...glad you are headed to the pool. Don't worry too much about the water. I do get concerned in pools with too many people and/or a ton of kids. Hope you find a good place you are comfortable with. I swam last night, just 1500. My gym's pool is pretty nice and hardly ever busy, so I usually get a lane to myself. I did a ladder workout... 100,200,300,400,500 with 15-30 sec rest between sets. Winter IS swim season! Smile
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I hate indoor swimming. How do you keep sane?
              Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

It looks like Trent's on another forum binge again... I'm a land lubber but like to dip my toes in the water. My body's too beat up from the running. What's a good way to ease into swimming, other than the obvious need of finding a pool. I can only swim enough to save my sorry behind if someone tossed me into the deep end... Blush
                Mishka-old log

Structure. Time flies when you have a workout planned. And swimming, like runnning, has a zen-like quality to it once you develop some proficiency at it. That in itself makes it enjoyable to be in the water.
                  spacityrunner

It looks like Trent's on another forum binge again... I'm a land lubber but like to dip my toes in the water. My body's too beat up from the running. What's a good way to ease into swimming, other than the obvious need of finding a pool. I can only swim enough to save my sorry behind if someone tossed me into the deep end... Blush
                    That is exactly where I was in August when an injury took me out of the running game and my sports doc told me to go find something else to do until I healed (I was crying in his office, kinda freaked him out Big grin) I found a pool and hired a swim coach to teach me how to swim. I bought a book of 6 one hour lessons, asked him to break it into 1/2 hour sessions...and then kept every appointment with him. And, learned how to swim. I then had to find another pool cause this one was dirty (but convienent). I am now on the lookout..but I can swim. Not like the ProfromDover, but I can swim. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.....and should be in another pool by the 1st of the year...... And, I am no longer crying in the sports doc's office....but I can't wait to get back to running..... But, now I get to buy all kinds of neat swimming gear...to add to my running gear....do I see a bike in my future???? Shocked

Trails Rock!

Mishka-old log

What's a good way to ease into swimming, other than the obvious need of finding a pool.
                      #1 - Learn stroke efficiency. Seriously, swimming can become as easy as a slow run once you iron out the wrinkles in your form. Usually though, even if runners have access to a pool, they don't have access to a coach or someone to give them some pointers on their form. #2 - Short intervals with frequent breaks. If all you can do is get to the other side, do that. Recover, and do it again until you've hit 20-30 minutes in the water. Your swimming stamina will improve somewhat automatically. Keep it very easy and keep the recoveries short (15-20 seconds), as you recover quicker in the water.

go Care Bear go!

You know I wonder this myself sometimes! I can not for the life of me go more than about 2 miles on a treadmill, but I can go back and forth in a pool with no problems for a very long time. On the other hand, after years and years of pool swimming, I am certainly challenged in open water. When I can't see all the parameters and there are no lanes... no that is freak out time for me! I got better with it this summer, but I have a ways to go til it is a comfortable experience for me!
                        TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

Yea! We woke up Cross Training!!!! A swim buddy really helps with swimming. Another ex-CR'er, Waterlily, swims with me. We are very close in speed, but being the jerk I am, I put my man muscles to work in the final length, regardless of distance, and edge her at the wall. Evil grin Oh yea, I should tell her I am here. Getting started is mostly a mental thing. In 2003 I could not swim. Not even one length. My running partner told me that the pool director could get me started. I've never taken a formal lesson. His first words to me were, "You have to put your head in the water." I was a panic breather. I tried to breath out AND in during the breathe part. Learning to breathe came first. After that, the pull buoy was my biggest help and crutch. Good luck with new pools Mishka and Liz. Yes a bike! And Carrie, you should practice sighting in the pool. Getting the process of breathing/looking down to a smooth routine really helps. Wetsuit out there? Next we talk bikes! Criag

Head Procrastinator

Keep bugging me Cigrra, I want to get back in the pool. And I have two nice ones to choose from too. What always turned me off was the heavy chlorine in my lungs feeling about indoor swimming. Well, I haven't looked at them but I think they look nice online. https://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/parks/WhereToGo/recreation/NC_aqua_ctr.html http://www.longbeachny.org/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={999307C3-1FED-4F63-8021-3652C9C44642}
                            ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                              Get your NY tush in the pool, hally! Evil grin I love the smell of chlorine in the morning...

Head Procrastinator

I know HOW to swim, I was on swim team all through elementary and junior high school. Dragged out of bed at 0'dark thirty to swim miles before school.Backstroke was my strong stroke but I could do an IM and we did freestyle for all those practices in the morning. Hence the hatred of the chlorine smell. Dead
                                ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats