new runner - days off? (Read 956 times)

redleaf

I'm not sure if I ought to be posting this here or maybe in the cross-training section? Well here goes anyway. I am a really new runner. I am currently in week two of a 13 week learn to run programme. I used to play hockey but I have messed up my wrists and so need to take some time off. Running seemed like something I could do without hurting my wrists! I have a lot of weight to lose as well but doc has given the okay for me to do whatever I want. The learn to run program has me running 3 or 4 days a week. But I want to do more. Someone suggested swimming and I'll check out the local pools. Running, swimming. That leaves biking I guess - or would cycling be using my legs too much? Or does it use different enough muscles? Someone also suggested not neglecting weight training. Should I do leg weights on off days? It seems like my legs would be tired on the run days then. Any and all advice greatly appreciated. Thanks RL Big grin

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

To run more than 3 or 4 days is an excellent way for a new runner to injure themselves. Take it easy, go slowly, let your muscles, tendons, and bones have time to catch up. I'm sure others will have more details. Also, you can use the search engine to look at past discussions of new runners and some great advice given to them. The best advice I read was : take it easy, go slow and then slow down some more. Have fun and run for the long haul. Big grin

Basically, all good options. If you are going to weight train, I recommend sticking to total body workouts rather than leg only workouts. You'll get more bang for your workout buck. Do exercises such as squats, deadlifts, lunges, pullups, and pushups. Combine to create compound movements that work a lot of different areas of your body at once, and add in some twists and turns as you go to mess with your balance and call your stabilising muscles into play. Good workout, that... As for biking or swimming, both are great cross training activities. I don't recommend doing anything but easy workouts until you have a good base level of fitness, but otherwise they are well worth mixing in on your rest days.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

xor

You don't say much about what's up with your wrists, but be careful with the lifting.

redleaf

Thanks everyone! mebeingme - you're right, there's loads of great info here! I'm really glad my uncle told me about the site when I told him I just started running. About the wrists - seems that carrying around a goalie stick for 3 or 5 games a week for a couple of years, as well as just general genetics I suppose, can lead to significant median neuropathy in your wrists. Another way of saying bad carpal tunnel really. For me it means that I cannot do a lot of sustained gripping without losing feeling in my fingers. Now, if I remember correctly, with most weights you don't really want to be gripping too hard anyway, more directing the bars. I'm also pretty sure that push ups and pull ups are out of the question! Big grin Of course, I could be wrong... I'll be seeing the surgeon at the end of August and so will have a better handle on what I can and cannot do but in the meantime I've been given the okay by my doc to try whatever I like based on the promise that I stop as soon as the numbness flares up.

HF #4362

Trying to do too much too soon is THE biggest killer of newbies. As mebeingme pointed out, your muscles and connective tissues take time to adapt to the stresses of running and pushing them too far will get you an unplanned break from running. If you have the energy, any non running activity will be fine for cross training on your non running days. Stick to your learn to run program like glue until you have the experience to know how much you can do without risk of injury. You also need to realize that cutting calories is a much more effective weight loss tool than trying to burn them off with exercise. Running at a beginners mileage will contribute little to weight loss. You may even find yourself gaining weight since running tends to stimulate the appetite Run for fitness, eat less to lose weight. Tom
              zzz

swimming definitely swimming!!!
                redleaf

Thanks! Figbash: I really am approaching running not to "lose weight" but to "be healthier". I'm working on "eating better" to lose weight. It really is amazing how much I used to eat without paying any attention. Right now I'm writing it all down (well, I'm a bit of a geek so entering it into a spreadsheet actually) and just doing that is enough to change how I eat!

HF #4362

AroundTheHorn

Interesting. For the last month I've been running 2 a days with a 4 miler in the mornign and 2-4 miler at night. Am I setting my self up for disaster? Who knows? However, it feels great in the mean time.
                    Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.
                    Scout7

Interesting. For the last month I've been running 2 a days with a 4 miler in the mornign and 2-4 miler at night. Am I setting my self up for disaster? Who knows? However, it feels great in the mean time.
                      Depends. If you can handle it, then I wouldn't worry about it. There is no actual rules here. The 10% "rule" is a rule of thumb only. There are people who can't even do 10%, and there are people who can handle jumps of 20% or more without injury. The best advice is to listen to your body. If you start to feel lethargic, or you have recurring pains, then examine what you're doing, and adjust as necessary.
                      redleaf

Every day? I think that would kill me at this point - but I've been running for all of 2 weeks! (plus 3 weeks earlier this year)

HF #4362

AroundTheHorn

I wasn't implying you should do this, just commenting on someone's post. You should definitely go easy in the beginning and work your way up from there.
                          Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.
                          Pammie

I think stick with what you are doing for now you don't want to do too much too soon. Then if you find you want to stick with running you can build it up over time but gradually. I've been running consistently since 2003 but its only this year i've been running everyday