More Science of Sport discussion on barefoot running (Read 2796 times)

Feeling the growl again

I should probably start a review thread on this but since this is where it started...

I've been wearing the Merrell Tough Gloves to work now for about 5 weeks.  In addition I wear them a lot around the house, if I am doing stuff that will not ruin them.

In terms of the actual shoe and its manufacture, no complaints.  I'm sure a diehard minimalist would not like the hardness of the sole, but that was never my concern...it's nice to be able to walk to the mailbox and not get a bone bruise...it's definitely a shoe and not a slipper/watershoe.  However, it has the zero lift of a minimal shoe.

The reason I went with these was out of desperation to try something new to address 7+ months of PF, which thick, rigid dress shoes seemed to aggravate.  I have learned the following in the past 5 weeks:

a)  The hypothesis that thick, rigid dress shoes were aggravating my PF was correct

b)  The hyopthesis that a thinner, lower, more flexible shoe would help was correct

c)  Worn-out running shoes exacerbate the PF but, strangely, newer trainers do not (when just wearing them around)

d)  Running continues to exacerbate the PF, especially fast running or running in minimal shoes

So...the Tough Gloves (worn for leisure or walking) have really helped and sometimes the PF regresses to the point that I go a day or two without noticing it....but minimalism is not a cure-all, running in minimal shoes inevitably leads to a flare-up worse than running in trainers.  I am hopeful that if I continue like this it will eventually clear up completely.  I've ran 28 miles in the past two days...a couple months ago that would mean I would barely be able to walk when I woke up this morning.  Instead, my heel was just a tad sore.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Half Fanatic #846

Glad to hear that you are improving!

It was a slow process for me as far as getting rid of my chronic PF.  Out of desperation, I starting off wearing minimal shoes to work every day - Nike Free 5.0, then 3.0, then minimal shoes with "zero heel lift" over the course of 18 months (plus I ran in the Nikes).  I also started wearing cheap (WalMart) flip-flops a lot.  It's good to hear you can tell a positive difference in just 5 weeks.  I also did some completely barefoot running starting with only a quarter mile at a time, got to where I really enjoyed it, and 18 months later was doing 12-13 milers barefooted.

I think it will take you several months to do it, but in my experience, the more minimal I went - the more I seemed to strengthen the muscles in my feet and legs that were able to naturally compensate for my weaknesses such as PF & 2 related bone spurs, one low arch & one very high arch, one foot over an inch shorter than the other due to hammer toes on that foot, and an extremely tight right achilles tendon. I don't think I left anything out Smile - yes, my feet look like they belong to 2 different people! Really tho, they look normal except to a podiatrist! (I stretch for the tight tendon).

You are right - I have a pair of Merrell True Gloves (same sole I think) and I don't like the hard sole because I can't feel the ground - I do like the zero heel lift and the rest of the shoe.

For whatever reasons, your a), b), and c) conclusions were my experience as well.  As far as d) goes, I used progressively more minimal footwear at work and for casual use but continued to run in my cushioned neutral running shoes for awhile until my feet got stronger and I realized that my shoes had cushioning that I didn't need.  So my gradual "transition" was from cushioned neutral trainers and chronic PF  to  minimal running and no PF.  There is definitely a place for running shoes for me (Saucony racing flats) and I'm guessing currently my shoes/barefoot ratio is about 20%/80%.

Good Luck! 

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Turbolegs

I should probably start a review thread on this but since this is where it started...

I've been wearing the Merrell Tough Gloves to work now for about 5 weeks.  In addition I wear them a lot around the house, if I am doing stuff that will not ruin them.

In terms of the actual shoe and its manufacture, no complaints.  I'm sure a diehard minimalist would not like the hardness of the sole, but that was never my concern...it's nice to be able to walk to the mailbox and not get a bone bruise...it's definitely a shoe and not a slipper/watershoe.  However, it has the zero lift of a minimal shoe.

The reason I went with these was out of desperation to try something new to address 7+ months of PF, which thick, rigid dress shoes seemed to aggravate.  I have learned the following in the past 5 weeks:

a)  The hypothesis that thick, rigid dress shoes were aggravating my PF was correct

b)  The hyopthesis that a thinner, lower, more flexible shoe would help was correct

c)  Worn-out running shoes exacerbate the PF but, strangely, newer trainers do not (when just wearing them around)

d)  Running continues to exacerbate the PF, especially fast running or running in minimal shoes

So...the Tough Gloves (worn for leisure or walking) have really helped and sometimes the PF regresses to the point that I go a day or two without noticing it....but minimalism is not a cure-all, running in minimal shoes inevitably leads to a flare-up worse than running in trainers.  I am hopeful that if I continue like this it will eventually clear up completely.  I've ran 28 miles in the past two days...a couple months ago that would mean I would barely be able to walk when I woke up this morning.  Instead, my heel was just a tad sore.

Spaniel - Have you used VFFs? How does the Merrell gloves compare to the VFFs? I use VFFs once in a while, but i am beginning to wonder if it might be a bit too minimalist for me. I dont have PF.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel - Have you used VFFs? How does the Merrell gloves compare to the VFFs? I use VFFs once in a while, but i am beginning to wonder if it might be a bit too minimalist for me. I dont have PF.

Well the soles on the Merrells say Vibrams, but further than that I cannot comment.  Other than doing a significant amount of training in flats so I can wear them for even marathons, I'm not a minimalist runner.  I'm a "no more than I really need" runner, which means I use light trainers for most running.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Marylander

I'm not Spaniel but I've got Merrell Tough Gloves and VFF KSOs. The Merrells have a thicker sole than the KSOs but apparently some of the VFFs have thicker soles too (e.g., trek model). I don't have to pay as much attention running in the Tough Gloves on gravel as I would running in the KSOs (and less attention running in the KSOs than I have to in walmart or sports authority water shoes - oops, I see you're in singapore so won't get those references, these are cheap water shoes with neoprene bottoms).

I got the KSOs to have something minimal for road runs that wouldn't allow my feet to slide around on downhills. That's the advantage I see in the toe shoe design. I find the Tough Gloves more comfortable than the VFFs since my toes are free inside the Tough Gloves. I actually got the Tough Gloves for office wear.

Turbolegs

Spaniel / Krikroy - Thanks for both your replies. I initially got on VFFs to change my strike pattern from heel to midfoot (for a couple of reasons, 1. I had just read Born to Run and 2. I have a few unwanted pounds that could potentially stress my weight-bearing joints out a bit). Since then, i have revised my opinion to looking at VFFs as just another type of training, like a tempo or a easy run .. with the specific objective of strengthening the calf muscles, the achilles tendon and promote a more efficient foot strike.

The reason for my question was that, day before yesterday, i ran in my Bikila's (which i think cant hold a candle to good old KSOs) and had a hot spot form under the ball of my right foot about 10kms into the run. I was toying with the idea of racing an upcoming half marathon (Sep 4th) in my VFFs but this hot spot issue has thrown a spanner in the works. Which is why my original question was whether the VFFs are a little "too minimalist" for me.

From what i have read from your replies, i think the Tough Glove might be a reasonable alternative. I run mostly on Asphalt.

Feeling the growl again

The reason for my question was that, day before yesterday, i ran in my Bikila's (which i think cant hold a candle to good old KSOs) and had a hot spot form under the ball of my right foot about 10kms into the run. I was toying with the idea of racing an upcoming half marathon (Sep 4th) in my VFFs but this hot spot issue has thrown a spanner in the works. Which is why my original question was whether the VFFs are a little "too minimalist" for me.

FWIW this could be due to the fit of the shoe and have nothing at all to do with how minimal it is.  In March my sub-1:12 HM attempt was shot by a new pair of flats which felt fine, but created a warm spot on my heel by 3 miles in and by 8 miles I was hobbled with the largest blister I've ever had.

Fastforward a month, I decided to try them again on a tempo run figuring it was probably due to how I laced them.  This time I laced them carefully...and had a hot spot at 3 miles again and a blister by the time I limped home in 6.  All of my other flats are fine.

Turbolegs

Spaniel, Thanks for the tip. I will give it another shot and try to change the fit (i use toe socks with the Bikilas, will lose them and see how it pans out).

Pipe Dreams 62

Spamalot
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I have always suspected, strongly, that if you already run with good form and land with your foot under your center of mass, that doing lots of miles barefoot will have no benefit and will instead likely result in increased muscle fatigue which will eventually result in greater impact forces being absorbed by the joints and greater risk of injury.)

Since this ancient thread got resurrected for no good reason, let me just say once again +1 to this

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.