"Goliath" is DEAD!!!" (Read 1073 times)

Great job! I know exactly what you mean about those unattainable distances. Even after a marathon there are some distances that just seem like I will never get there. Good for you for making The Voices shut up and doing it anyway. Congrats on the weight loss as well. This, too, is a thing I am very familiar with. And I think that for 'people like us' (who are changing our whole lives with every step we take) the mileage means that much more because this is something we thought we could never do. Congrats again!
    "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

2008 Philly Trifecta

Great job! Congrats on the weight loss as well. This, too, is a thing I am very familiar with. And I think that for 'people like us' (who are changing our whole lives with every step we take) the mileage means that much more because this is something we thought we could never do. Congrats again!
      Whoa...CallieB! just saw your profile pic. Bravo to YOU!!! Thanks everyone for the imput and encouragement. It really means alot. I have many of you who post regularly to thank for the accomplishments thus far. Each of you have helped me to see that anyone can run!!! I believe our bodies (and life) is God's gift to us...what we do with it is our gift to God... Big grin I'm 7 weeks out from the half. Thanks for the advice all who have been here. I'll continued to build up and schedule a 14 miler in 4 weeks, 12 miler on week 5, 10k on week 6...than the half will be attainable ***check out the details on my last run in the newest blog post below... Muchos gracias! Wink Dave

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
      2008 Philly Trifecta:
      10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
      Philly Distance Run HM-9/21
      Philly Marathon-11/23
      "A goal not written down is only a dream...!"

Imminent Catastrophe

A dissenting opinion here... You don't absolutely have to run the distance in training, unless you really need to for your own confidence. There's no physical reason to do so. You're 7 weeks out and you've run 10. You're there. A 12-mile training run is all you need, if you must run 14, take it easy and slow. This is like saying you have to run 27 miles in training for a marathon. No, you don't. Not exactly the same thing, but the same principle applies. IMHO a good solid 12-mile training run is better than an exhausting 14-mile test of survival.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Congratulations on the accomplishment of 10 miles and the weight loss! Smile

Michelle

Next goal is "Onederland"
            Big grin I like that. And you will get there; you already know the way. Just like your 10 mile run--one foot in front of the other. Great Job! And I agree with the perfesser, you are ready for the half even without running that far beforehand.
              Congrats Dave!! You rock!!
                Congratulations! On the 10 miles and the weight loss! Big grin Big grin Big grin

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

You'll ruin your knees!

Nice job, Dave! It's a great feeling to stand over the slain giant with your fists clenched, isn't it? Keep up the good work. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)