Ellipticals (Read 183 times)

Any of you who use an elliptical at home, would you mind sharing the brand and the pros and cons?  I'd like to find a good used one, but know next to nothing about them.  Am thinking about letting local health clubs know I would be interested in purchasing one that's met it's maximum health club life.  There's a Horizon RE 7.6 for sale in my area for $125.  Don't know anything about the brand.

Thanks ~~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Side Note?

Is it just me or do elliptical motion feel totally irregular?

I've adjusted all the options when I tried it out...

Is it that hard to create an elliptical or other machine that does the same thing but actually recreates your real running motion?

300m- 37 sec.

SMART Approach

Nothing really recreates running motion unless you are on pool running or on a zero gravity treadmill. If cross training, I feel the stepper, StairMaster or whatever brand gives you most bang for the buck. I am not a fan of ellipticals unless I just want to move my body to help with recovery. I rarely get my HR over 110 even if going crazy on the machine or putting tension so high my quads fatigue out. The only thing worse is recumbent bike. On a stepper, you are fighting against gravity and this makes such a huge difference for maintaining fitness or improving fitness or getting HR up to similar to running. I would consider it the ideal cross training if one cannot run or wants to mix in other forms of aerobic exercise. At my gym, rarely do people use steppers. You know why??.....they are too much work.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I like the Cybex Arc Trainer at my gym very much. It can morph between a stepping motion and a cross country skiing motion with varied resistance.

They are, however, hideously expensive new.

Giants Fan

We got a Proform used and its been awesome.  Has enough variety of pre-made workouts and is challenging to me. Its a longer model since it's older but I really do like it.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

kcam

You're gonna laugh but how bout one of these bad boys:

I had a used gym machine (a Precor) and it worked great and had every feature including hills and a built-in fan but it was frickin big and heavy and I don't use them very often being in CA (we can run outside all year as long as the ground isn't on fire).  I sold it on Craigslist and then bought an old school Nordictrac machine, also from CL.  The old wooden ones from back in the day.  It was $30, was basically brand new and looks like a nice piece of furniture. II's light and takes up very little space and requires no power.  Great machine for when I need to crosstrain.  It's not elliptical but, IMHO, as good as an elliptical trainer.  Wouldn't buy another bulky plastic/metal one with the totally useless features again.

viduka

spam
                Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yes, I have a Bluefin Fitness CURV 3.0 at home and it does the job even if it’s not quite gym standard. I’m not sure if you can purchase them in the US, but it’s self powered which I like. I personally find ellipticals the best alternative to running when injured and have no problem getting HR up (just increase the resistance level).

Tchuck  - We only have 2 stairmasters at my gym compared to about 20 ellipticals! I use and like them also, but hate the rowing machine or stationary bike!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)