Good Road Cycling Training Programs??? (Read 1876 times)

Wally & Leela

One of my goals for the new year is to try my hand at road cycling. Does anyone know any good web sites for good beginner programs?

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop. --Confucius

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Hi, how's it goin'? Big grin did

Wally & Leela

It's goin' I am looking for a program for cycling that is kind of like a Hal Higdon program is for running... Like Monday: bike "X" miles Tuesday: bike "X" miles... do you know of any like that?

The voice of mile 18

what's your end goal? do a century? a time trial? just all around health and well being?

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Wally & Leela

Just health and well being right now...but we'll see how much I like it. I was thinking of riding a marathon course as a short term goal.

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

For 26 miles, you won't need much fitness. Really. You could probably go out and do that right now, although your butt would burn with hatred for about a week after. Here's the info our coach provides to all our riders - we take people who don't even own a bike, and have them riding a full century in Death Valley within 6 months. This is from a man who has plaid bike shorts, so he's clearly worth listening to. Seriously, he's one of the coolest people I know, and a damn fine coach. He's very much about riding because you love riding, not to make yourself into some sort of cycling monster. The biggest part of getting started is toughening up your butt. There's no magic here - a padded saddle won't help (it may make it worse), though real bike shorts will. Start off with shorter, hour-long or so rides, a few times a week, and within a couple of weeks you'll get through the keister soreness. As for riding fitness, it builds up surprisingly quickly - a decent road bike is very efficient, so going long distances becomes more an issue of pace control and remembering to eat and drink enough. If you ride for 3-5 hours a week to start, you'll be able to do 30 miles in no time. did

Wally & Leela

Looks like a logical plan to me. next step....uh....first step GET A BIKE! Tongue

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Here's the info our coach provides to all our riders - we take people who don't even own a bike, and have them riding a full century in Death Valley within 6 months. This is from a man who has plaid bike shorts, so he's clearly worth listening to. Seriously, he's one of the coolest people I know, and a damn fine coach. He's very much about riding because you love riding, not to make yourself into some sort of cycling monster.
                  I'm resurrecting this rather than starting a new thread. Sorry for the Hijack. I just started using a bike to commute to work, searched and found this thread. The link to the document no longer works, could you repost? I want to start using biking as my cross train, commuting 4.8 miles each way to work with some hills (that will need to be walked). I'm not commuting every day, yet, thinking I need to build this in so as to not screw my HM training. Ideally, I'd like to build up to some good bike mileage. Maybe do a century or a tri one day, but probably not even looking to race for at least a few years and use this to help keep running fresh. I run 5 days a week, and would love to have a longer "commute" ride on at least one rest day, if not two. Any advice? I rode 1 day this week, and am thinking I'll do 1 or 2 next week, then add one day every 2 weeks or so thereafter until I get to 5. Thanks! Chris

Chris
                  PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

jules2

First challenge build up until you don't have to get off on the hills! Cycling isn't all that stressful I think you will run out of time before you wear yourself out. I think one hours running has got to equal 3/4 hours cycling. I'd suggest you spend several months building a base and getting use to cycling before you do anything fancy.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

The voice of mile 18

how about 1-2 commutes during the week and a long ride on the weekend and slowly build up the distance of the long ride every week till you reach the desired distance (or over distance) the commutes can be more quality rides w/ some intervals or hills

Another more specific question (sorry if I hijacked this)---- I just ran a half marathon and am now focusing on a duathlon at the end of September, 5k run, 32k bike, 5k run. Most of the summer I've been trying to ride two days per week. General example of what I've been trying for; Sun ride 30 Mon easy 5 run Tues hockey (can't ride or run this day because if I do I suck at hockey) Wed hilly 6 run Thurs ride 43 commute round trip Fri easy 5 run Sat longer 10 run How do I change up my schedule to be more duathlon specific?

The voice of mile 18

How do I change up my schedule to be more duathlon specific?
                          maybe add some BRICKS (Bike Run ICK!) a bike ride followed immediately by a run get you used to running after cycling (not as easy as it sounds)

jules2

maybe add some BRICKS (Bike Run ICK!) a bike ride followed immediately by a run get you used to running after cycling (not as easy as it sounds)
                            With you all the way its like an alien has taken over your legs.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

pitrunner

Does anyone else find that when doing a brick, you come out for the run almost sprinting without realizing it? That's been the toughest part for me to get used to. I look down at my watch and see that I'm running an 8mm (10ish is my avg) but I still feel like I'm going slow!