Arthritis Question (Read 486 times)

Well just back from the orthopedic doc, was informed I have arthritis in the left knee. I have been training for a 10k and have upped my mileages a bit. Ran 6.5 mile two weeks ago, woke up Saturday AM, left knee swollen, sore. Laid off running for 2 weeks, ran 4 miles at lunch yesterday.....major pain and stiffness. Doc recommends no more running. I will bag the 5K I have scheduled for Saturday, knee is still too swollen and Im not doing the steroid shot in the knee. Still have my sights set on the 10K on the 19th, because if I have to stop running that would be a great send off. Looking for thoughts from anybody else dealing with this. Doc told me today that more likely than not, I will be looking at a knee replacement in 15 years or so. This sucks..... Angry
    I run because I don't want to give up beer!
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What stage is the arthritis?

SMART Approach

Did he discuss joint fluid therapy with you? You are the perfect candidate. My buddy who is 38 has arthritis and got the injections and continues to run (not saying you should but.....). Here is a link to one of the leaders in JFT market and purest (no side effects). BTW, major league pitcher Randy Johnson uses Supartz and says it saved his career. www.managekneepain.com

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Ok seriously - dont laugh, but I did this for my mom after reading it a couple of times in the paper. My mom was too lazy to follow through with it and see if it works, but other people swear by it. Soak a bowl full of raisins in gin (cover them) until the gin is basically all absorbed. It took mine about 5 days to soak it all up. Then simply eat 9 raisins every day. Its supposed to relieve the arthritis symptoms. I have NO idea why this would work, but I work with two people from Trinidad who told me their grandmothers used to squish bags filled with herbs and gin on their knees as an herbal remedy for arthritis. So maybe there's something to it. If it doesnt work at least you can take the edge off of a upcoming hectic day for breakfast!! What have you got to lose?