Are Running Injuries Really Inevitable? (Read 217 times)

Christirei

you probably notice lots of posts regarding injuries on this site because.... alot of times when things are going well we don't post about much, but when things start to go wrong we want as much info as possible so we can get back running again

kind of like when you go to a restaurant and love it but don't post a review, until you go to a restaurant and have a terrible experience and jump on social media immediately to complain about it.

Julia1971

I'm going to second MikeyMike and say it depends on what you mean by "injury".  Arguably, I've neve had a running injury if you mean pain that keeps you from running or require surgery.  But, I have had reoccurring piriformis pain for which I sought chiropractic treatment for about a year.  However during that time, I was still running 70+ mile weeks, so... No, I don't believe they are inevitable.  I absolutley think luck plays a big part.  But, if I were to pinpoint two things where I think I'm different than  lot of hobby distance runners they are that a) I didn't jump to the marathon until I'd been running for several years and b) my leg/butt muscles/ligaments were very strong from years of playing field hockey before I started running.   That said, I probably never  reached my speed potential over long distances, so there's that.. .  I'm also religious about retiring my shoes after 300 miles

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

All my running injuries have been from tripping or stepping off curbs wrong.

i have never had an overuse injury

I was going to say, often an injury results from some random, freak thing that you can't anticipate.  But being in good shape can mitigate these things.

The other thing is that the process is not:

Get injured.

Stop running for six weeks.

Start running again, good as new.

We all are always running with a certain degree of weakness, frailty, or injury. We're human. We have to constantly be judging what we can do that will result in some improvement rather than physical injury or degradation. It's a process.

I'm going to second MikeyMike and say it depends on what you mean by "injury".  Arguably, I've neve had a running injury if you mean pain that keeps you from running or require surgery.  But, I have had reoccurring piriformis pain for which I sought chiropractic treatment for about a year.  However during that time, I was still running 70+ mile weeks, so... No, I don't believe they are inevitable.  I absolutley think luck plays a big part.  But, if I were to pinpoint two things where I think I'm different than  lot of hobby distance runners they are that a) I didn't jump to the marathon until I'd been running for several years and b) my leg/butt muscles/ligaments were very strong from years of playing field hockey before I started running.   That said, I probably never  reached my speed potential over long distances, so there's that.. .  I'm also religious about retiring my shoes after 300 miles

I did define in my original post that I'm referring to "injuries where you truly will cause more damage if you continue and that force you to actually stop running for a period of time."  I would refine that to say that you would have to miss maybe a week of running.

I'm really trying to increase my distance slowly.  I think you were wise to only tackle the marathon after having lots of running under your belt.  I don't even know yet if I eventually would like to try that distance.  At first my only goal was to eventually do a half marathon.

Wow, 300 miles!  That's the lowest I've heard but if that makes the difference for you, then it's well worth it.  Do you think there's anything to the theory about using multiple pairs of running shoes at once and alternating them?  I'm currently trying this with two pairs of Hoka's.

I'm at about 350 miles on my first pair and haven't really noticed any degradation yet.  I'll be watchful for any signs of my body feeling more beat up after runs with this pair.  That would be a signal that it's time to retire them.

I just discovered your blog.  It's very well done.  I'm looking forward to perusing it.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You say that you are really trying to increase your distance slowly?  It doesn’t look like that from your log. I’ve given you advice in your previous threads and I’m not going to repeat it again as you will just do your own thing anyway....and that’s fine. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Julia1971

I did define in my original post that I'm referring to "injuries where you truly will cause more damage if you continue and that force you to actually stop running for a period of time."  I would refine that to say that you would have to miss maybe a week of running.

And, that's basically the definition I would go by.  However, when I've boasted about never being injury, a counter-argument I've heard is that because I've sought treatment from a professional for pain, I've been injured.

I'm really trying to increase my distance slowly.  I think you were wise to only tackle the marathon after having lots of running under your belt.  I don't even know yet if I eventually would like to try that distance.  At first my only goal was to eventually do a half marathon.

I think this is wise.  FWIW, 10 milers and half marathons are my favorite distances.

Wow, 300 miles!  That's the lowest I've heard but if that makes the difference for you, then it's well worth it.  Do you think there's anything to the theory about using multiple pairs of running shoes at once and alternating them?  I'm currently trying this with two pairs of Hoka's.

I'm at about 350 miles on my first pair and haven't really noticed any degradation yet.  I'll be watchful for any signs of my body feeling more beat up after runs with this pair.  That would be a signal that it's time to retire them.

I think having a set distance just takes the guess work of deciding when to retire the shoe out of the equation. I don't think about how they feel, they're just gone.  I'm sure there are shoes that still provide good cushioning at mileage much, much higher than that.  On the flip side, if I'm not happy with a shoe after one or two runs, I return or donate it.  I'm not experimenting with my legs...  I do alternate shoes but only because I sweat so much and having two pairs guarantees I'm never in a situation where I retire a shoe and don't have anything to wear.

I just discovered your blog.  It's very well done.  I'm looking forward to perusing it.

Thanks!

You say that you are really trying to increase your distance slowly?  It doesn’t look like that from your log. I’ve given you advice in your previous threads and I’m not going to repeat it again as you will just do your own thing anyway....and that’s fine. 👍

My average weekly mileage has been barely increasing.  I kept my "long" run at 6.44 miles for a good month, went to 7.64 for almost a month, and now have done one 8 mile run.

Cite some figures from my log to back up your assertion.

September: 45.7 mi 6:10:05
                August: 65.9 mi 8:44:44
                July: 53.2 mi 7:34:36
                June: 78.1 mi 10:36:21
                May: 63.8 mi 8:34:37
                April: 56.0 mi 7:30:57

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

Cyberic

injuries where you truly will cause more damage if you continue and that force you to actually stop running for a period of time.

If that is the definition, I have not had an injury since I started running, in June 2012.

I do the exact opposite as you (OP), though. I will favor easy miles over intensity for injury prevention. I run commute to work, so that's 10 easy runs per week, and I usually add 2 to 4 runs to that for workouts +LR (LR does not qualify as a workout in this case). But if something is hurting, I don't cut down on volume, but on fast running. If it's hurting really much, I'll cut down on the length of the LR and might take a RD. And so on. The worse I had to do, and that was in my first years of running, was to run one day, take 2 days off and so on. Then came back up to 1-1, ...

Never been to a PT or massagist or anything.

I've only been running since 2012, mind you, so it might just be luck. But I believe it is POSSIBLE, if not very common.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

My average weekly mileage has been barely increasing.  I kept my "long" run at 6.44 miles for a good month, went to 7.64 for almost a month, and now have done one 8 mile run.

Cite some figures from my log to back up your assertion.

September: 45.7 mi 6:10:05
                    August: 65.9 mi 8:44:44
                    July: 53.2 mi 7:34:36
                    June: 78.1 mi 10:36:21
                    May: 63.8 mi 8:34:37
                    April: 56.0 mi 7:30:57

I honestly don’t think that you are cut out for running. Cycling is more of an injury free hobby for you.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I honestly don’t think that you are cut out for running. Cycling is more of an injury free hobby for you.

Not able to back up your assertion are you?  Instead you continue to troll me.

Personal Records:

injuries where you truly will cause more damage if you continue and that force you to actually stop running for a period of time.

If that is the definition, I have not had an injury since I started running, in June 2012.

I do the exact opposite as you (OP), though. I will favor easy miles over intensity for injury prevention. I run commute to work, so that's 10 easy runs per week, and I usually add 2 to 4 runs to that for workouts +LR (LR does not qualify as a workout in this case). But if something is hurting, I don't cut down on volume, but on fast running. If it's hurting really much, I'll cut down on the length of the LR and might take a RD. And so on. The worse I had to do, and that was in my first years of running, was to run one day, take 2 days off and so on. Then came back up to 1-1, ...

Never been to a PT or massagist or anything.

I've only been running since 2012, mind you, so it might just be luck. But I believe it is POSSIBLE, if not very common.

I definitely cut down on intensity if I feel something is not right.  I'll sometimes run slowly or cut out the run entirely and ride instead.

Personal Records:

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Not able to back up your assertion are you?  Instead you continue to troll me.

LOL. Well you’ve got enough cheerleaders on here. I just give an honest opinion.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

All I know about this guy is that Google.com doesn't work well for him.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

LOL. Well you’ve got enough cheerleaders on here. I just give an honest opinion.

LOL.  You made a comment that made no sense about my increasing my mileage too quickly.  I asked you to back it up.  Silence.  Your comment was intended to incite because you know damn well it was false.  Clearly you don't like me.  Kindly leave me alone and keep your opinions about whether I should keep running to yourself.

Personal Records:

All I know about this guy is that Google.com doesn't work well for him.

The thread was missing from the site due to a glitch.

Personal Records: