2019 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 173 times)

Julia1971

If anyone is interested, my race report for the race is up.

What I didn't include in the epilogue (because I will blog about it in my next weekly post) is that I did finally go to the doctor after the race and in addition to putting me back on blood pressure medication (stupidly, I stopped taking it earlier in the year), it appears I may have a Vitamin D deficiency (although from doing some online reading, there is some debate about what levels for dark-skinned people.)  And, I have a few appointment over the next few weeks to make sure nothing else is going on.

Congrats to everyone who finished the race!

LRB

If anyone is interested, my race report for the race is up.

Great writing and recollection, I never even saw the big screen!

I too, thought I'd missed the mile 15 marker, it was the weirdest thing. Then when it showed up, I was happy I hadn't missed it but sad because that meant it began from that point. I think that got into my head a bit and I lost focus.

Regarding Vitamin D; in all of my life I had never thought much about it until last November. That's when the sun basically disappeared for an entire month in much of the state of Michigan. I was agitated and completely off of my center so much so that I ended up buying a sun lamp! I am not sure how a deficiency affects athletic performance but it definitely screwed with my disposition.

Hopefully you get everything figured out and get back to your healthy running self. Nice job toughing it out when it wasn't your day!

Julia1971

I too, thought I'd missed the mile 15 marker, it was the weirdest thing. Then when it showed up, I was happy I hadn't missed it but sad because that meant it began from that point. I think that got into my head a bit and I lost focus.

Thanks!  I'll head over to read your report now...

My Garmin has been glitchy lately and it recorded a 1.25 mile on Queensboro.  Very irritating.  And overall, it had my distance at 27.2 miles!  I know I wasn't running the tangents, but come on!

Regarding Vitamin D; in all of my life I had never thought much about it until last November. That's when the sun basically disappeared for an entire month in much of the state of Michigan. I was agitated and completely off of my center so much so that I ended up buying a sun lamp! I am not sure how a deficiency affects athletic performance but it definitely screwed with my disposition.

There are a few articles out there including this one from Runner's World.  (My level was 20 and the calcium levels in my blood were high so I understand why they're suggesting supplements.)  But, there is also some literature out there that it's over-diagnosed in dark-skinned people.  So, there's also that...

I will probably scrap the ultra-marathon and focus on just feeling well again.  I completely expect to run my 8th consecutive New York City Marathon next year!

Julia1971

3:26:26 for me (details of the carnage can be found here).

TL;DR, It was well off my goal, so I was licking my wounds post-race as well. I had a great cycle though and have a few positives to take from the race.

P.S. Times Square was awesome.

Great race report.  It was fun reading someone else's account of the same race.  Smile.

Congratulations on the great time!  Even though it wasn't what you wanted, NYCM is a tough course.

I'm not sure who recommends a negative split for the New York City Marathon but I think even or a slight positive is the best most non-elites should hope for.

Interesting that you thought it was too warm...  I had debated wearing arm warmers and at the start, was glad I changed my mind.  And, now that I think about it, I think a lot of people dressed for the Athlete's Village instead of the race.

Your experience at Mile 3 reminds me of why I hate pace groups.  I started at the back of the wave so didn't encounter that until the Wave 2 3:30 group came by on First Avenue.  By then, the street was wide enough to accommodate them.

Agree that Mile 16 has disappointed in recent years.  I think they are forcing the crowds up the road and First Avenue is wider so the sound disperses.  Brooklyn - particularly Lafayette Avenue and Williamsburg - are claiming the crown for the loudest group of spectators.

So, what's next for you?

LRB

I'm not sure who recommends a negative split for the New York City Marathon but I think even or a slight positive is the best most non-elites should hope for.

Greg McMillan harped on it so much that my head was spinning when I was done watching his video on the course. I literally didn't want to run it after that!

Coach Jeff from Runner's Connect had a similar spiel and Meb Keflezighi, who I sat in with during a New York City Marathon course seminar Saturday, espoused that "the race doesn't begin until you get to the only green in New York City".

I am torn on it all but don't want to second guess it. I had a plan and tried to stick to it as best I could. In the end it didn't work out as I had hoped but it wasn't because I bailed on the plan...if that even makes any sense.

Anyway, up next for me is the Monumental Marathon. It is the site of my only DNF but I've run the half marathon there twice. It's a great course, a great city and logistically it is a breeze comparatively speaking. I am excited. It is a wonderful event.

LRB

Interesting that you thought it was too warm...  I had debated wearing arm warmers and at the start, was glad I changed my mind.  And, now that I think about it, I think a lot of people dressed for the Athlete's Village instead of the race.

I get extremely hot while running. Ideally, it would be around 32 F for me during a marathon, which is all but unheard of but I did lucky and get the mid 30s the two times that I ran Detroit. That event starts at 7:00 so it rarely gets to 50 depending on when one finishes.

I had arm warmers but did not take them to the village as it was clear an hour into the event it would be well into the mid 50s. And as it turned out I would not have worn them at all. I had thin gloves but took them off very early in the race, like around mile 2 or something like that.

The breeze was nice and the tall buildings and bridges provided relief (for me!) from the sun.

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

Well it's been 6 days, which race have you chosen??

Still too soon. Smile  Like my wife said, "You wouldn't ask a woman the week after having a baby when she's going to have another."   I think my mind also needs some time to wander and consider what I want to do next.  I honestly think I want to take my current fitness and see what I can do in the first half of 2020 with 5/10k.  Think I still have more speed in my aging legs to PR.

2019:  Run my first marathon.

"Who you are will show in what you do"

scrumhalfgirl

Congratulations everyone! I ran my first NYC and loved the experience. I've done Boston three times, but the NYC spectators really hit the mark on the energy! I agree that Brooklyn was the best - I found the First Ave crowds were quietly looking for their own runners, not really cheering.

I ran 3:30, which was my "enjoy the experience" goal pace (about 30 sec/mile slower than my PB). I really got to soak everything in. I'm glad that I decided not to "race" it, because I found the early start to the day and all the waiting around at athletes village made it challenging. I also wanted to walk around NYC in the days leading up the race to really enjoy the experience.

I would do NYC again, but probably not for a few years. (and, I'd need to qualify again!)

-Jess