What are the best recovery methods after you have trashed your legs in a long race?? (Read 467 times)

SheCan

Occasional use of NSAIDS for soreness is not the devil, people.  Twice a year after a marathon?  I'll take my chances, thank you very much.

I'm not telling the dude to go pop NSAIDS after every long training run or interval workout.  Give me a break.

I do it more then twice a year.  In fact, any time I think I need them. I use that thing called judgment.  No wonder I'm a crappy runner!  My body has just gave up adapting to workouts because i take NSAIDS occasionally.

Using common sense is important.  However, I have seen what others consider common sense and am always surprised at what others do to recover. So I offer a generic recovery plan above.

I've heard common sense wasn't common.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

bhearn

I never use NSAIDS, except after running a 100, when it is necessary.

I didn't mean to be judgmental -- I just personally prefer to avoid them, because they can interfere with training adaptation. Also I would rather be aware of what hurts.

SheCan

I didn't mean to be judgmental -- I just personally prefer to avoid them, because they can interfere with training adaptation. Also I would rather be aware of what hurts.

Hehehe!  I know, I was just playin'!  We all have to make those decisions for ourselves.  You certainly didn't sound judgmental at all.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

UPDATE:  I posted thisthread originally on day 2 after an all-out marathon. . IE. At the height of soreness it appears.  So sore on Tuesday that I was concerned about running an 8-mile race on Saturday, just 4 days later.   --After I posted this on day 2, was able to run an "easy 4 miles".  Day 3 my legs felt much better (some deep down soreness) and was able to run a 10 miler, moderate pace.  By day 4, I was able to run at PR speed on a treadmill, felt fully recovered.  Took an easy 2 on Friday and then on Saturday I ran that 8-mile race, and was at PR speed in that race as well.

-- Bhearn, I have seen the Acronym DOMS before, just didn't know what it meant.  Indeed that is what I had.  Thank you to Bhearn and others for great advice and discussion!

Also, this running of a race 6 days after trashed legs and being at a PR pace, is that consistent with many runners?  I.E.  I see alot of discussion in threads about it taking over a month to fully recover from a tough race and folks separating races by 2 to 3 months, but if a person is back to PR speed 4, 5, 6 days later, does that mean they are fairly close to 100% fully recovered?

--Seeking information to educate myself better on these matters, all input appreciated. :-)

PS.  Bhearn, just saw your charts:

3/23/2013 Run

Dizzy Daze 12-hour

Race 73.9 mi 11:57:18  

Almost 74 Miles in 12 hours?  Good lord!  Very Impressive mileage!.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Mr MattM

Muscles can often substantially recover in a matter of days.  The problem is that connective tissue (ligaments/tendons) often take much longer to recover after a really hard effort, but you don't feel the soreness.  For me, that's the biggest reason why it's a good idea to recover for at least a few weeks before another hard effort.

Is it common to recover and race hard again in a few days?  No, not really common, but only because most people don't try (or want to).  The closest I've raced a hard marathon effort was a week apart.  I was running sub-3:10s.  At one stretch I ran 5 in 12 weeks with 2 of them on consecutive weekends.  When I tried to make it 3 weekends in a row, I blew up hard and that ended my streak.  I've run a lot more races closer together, but at lesser levels of effort.

One of the 'fun things' in running is testing your limits.

be curious; not judgmental

Muscles can often substantially recover in a matter of days.  The problem is that connective tissue (ligaments/tendons) often take much longer to recover after a really hard effort, but you don't feel the soreness. 

One of the 'fun things' in running is testing your limits.

--Yep, at the base of my achilles, I have had some lingering soreness for a month.  Gradually getting better and I may have been right on the edge + risking injury by doing these races before it was fully healed.  But... Some easy days ahead to allow this to get back to 100%.   And it certainly has been fun testing the limits, I agree.

--Also, appreciate the advice on proper pace when doing a marathon.  I finally paced myself better, and I didn't blow up at mile 18 this time. Big grin

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

adavis58

Ice baths

foam roller

slow recovery run

Art

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

jackfrost9p

Also, this running of a race 6 days after trashed legs and being at a PR pace, is that consistent with many runners?  I.E.  I see alot of discussion in threads about it taking over a month to fully recover from a tough race and folks separating races by 2 to 3 months, but if a person is back to PR speed 4, 5, 6 days later, does that mean they are fairly close to 100% fully recovered?

--Seeking information to educate myself better on these matters, all input appreciated. :-)

I ran the LA Marathon (2:54) at maximum effort and the following Sunday I ran the Oakland Marathon (3:18). I also ran 45 miles in between races. My goal for Oakland was just to cruise, I knew I was not going to come close to my LA time, however, I surprised myself with a 3:18. Both marathons are difficult for big city marathons with about 1000 feet of climbing. Although, my muscles feel fine, I am battling some stiffness in my achilles and hamstrings. I would agree that muscles heal much quicker than connective tissue. I do my best to listen to my body, and I try to force myself to foam roll about once a day. I am a believer in active recovery. I also believe a diet with a lot of fruits and vegetables helps recovery as well. I don't stretch.

EDIT: Also if I had the money or knew a physical therapist, I would take advantage of a massage as much as possible. They are miracle workers as far as recovery goes.

Marathon: 2:48:49 (Boston 2014) - Half: 1:22:11 (Berkeley 2013)

2x sub-24 100 mile finisher

Next: Big Sur Marathon - Blog: http://jbfinn.blogspot.com/

bhearn

Not really normal, no. Sometimes you can do it, but generally that just means you'd have run better in the second race with more recovery. If you really trashed your legs and had DOMS, you won't be at 100% a week later, no matter who you are. That said, recovery is something that definitely improves with training. Many Marathon Maniacs discover this -- they run two marathons two weeks apart to join, it's damn hard, then they get hooked and eventually they are running one or sometimes more almost every weekend. (Though for most, those are nowhere near PR pace.)

PS.  Bhearn, just saw your charts:

3/23/2013 Run

Dizzy Daze 12-hour

Race 73.9 mi 11:57:18  

Almost 74 Miles in 12 hours?  Good lord!  Very Impressive mileage!.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also if I had the money or knew a physical therapist, I would take advantage of a massage as much as possible. They are miracle workers as far as recovery goes.

+1

dallison

registered pw

I took a rest day. On Sunday i ran a 10 miler that i did well at. Then i ran 6.6 afterwards with my wife and then 2 more miles when i got home with the dog.

Yesterday i was thinking about going for  a short run, but i rested. That's what my body needed.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

mananingot

no warm baths, no alcohol, no coffee  as it adds to the leg swelling.

To all who answered rest...totally agreed...After a 100 miler I take 2 weeks off minimum...no running, just swimming.  After a 50 its 4-7 days off, again...no running, just swimming.  Long weekend runs get no rest but Monday is always an easy 3-6 mile shakeout.