Beachy Head Marathon, UK Race Report. (Read 552 times)

Into the wild

Saturday, 25 October 2008 Beachy Head - A marathon run This was my first marathon. My goal was a sub 5 hours, I streaked across the line in ... 5:00 So, I have my line in the sand for next year Wink Briefly, the day was perfect. Weather cool, pressure high, wind almost still at the beginning but gaining in force just in time to give us a boost over The Seven Sisters. I'd set out intending to hit the half way at 2:15, I was about 5 minutes over but feeling good and secretly hoping to 'run' all the way. Toward 18 miles there is a stepped rise, I started my bobbing run up but soon found a dreadful cramp start to take hold low down on my left quad - this was to stop me in my tracks while I massaged it and pleaded with it to let me continue. Once at the top I was able to run untroubled but it was to resurface on the second flight of steps and after on the steeper climbs of the Seven Sisters. The cramping was probably down to a number of things; in no particular order: low salt - despite 4 S-Caps, muscle fatigue (what do you think??) and being a bit shy of long run training. All said, I had a great day. I pulled in in a time I would have expected and, unlike on other occasions where I push too far, no injuries save some discomfort in a ligament behind the knee. There's some pics if anyone fancies a look. Yes, I know I look like I could have tried harder...tell that to my wife and boys who were there to witness my deathly slow final ascent - no man's children should ever have to endure that! - and witness my old man shuffle for the three successive days. Pics here Some more here: http://gallery.sussexsportphotography.com/index.tlx?albumid=183410 Bib number 247 in search box. ( Beachy Head 2008 ) I had a great time before, during and to a lesser extent, after this 'race'. I met up with my family in Eastbourne, forumites from my two online haunts. I finally ran a marathon after 'posturing' long enough. One thing I intend doing, after being processed by this event, is to marshal an a race. It would be an opportunity to give something back to a sport I have benefitted from and to witness the mind-boggling array of humanity that a race of this distance lays bare. Go run a marathon

Shut up and run

Muscle fatigue you say? During a marathon? Hmmm. Odd, but I suppose not outside the realm of possibility. Wink You finished 26.2, and it sounds like you enjoyed the experience. Mission accomplished Johnny, well done!
      One thing I intend doing, after being processed by this event, is to marshal an a race. It would be an opportunity to give something back to a sport I have benefitted from and to witness the mind-boggling array of humanity that a race of this distance lays bare.
      I ran the Manchester City Marathon as my first last year, because my kids live there. This year, my son is going to be working the last waterstop at mile 25. I think I would have to choose one earlier on the course, watching runners pushing on through complete exhaustion would be both uplifting and emotionally exhausting for me. The Greater Lowell RoadRunners did such a great job with BayState that I plan to wear a volunteer's shirt rather than a bib in '09. Hope to see lots of RAers there.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Into the wild

Good for you Baddawg....and there was me thinking we had a monopoly on Cities of Manchester.....small world eh? You probably have a Manchester United playing their home games there too Wink A week after the experience I can honestly say...... I LOVED running that race Big grin

Shut up and run

wanderingoutlaw

Great job, Johnny. Way to come in right on time. Thanks for sharing the pics too. And thanks to BadDawg for directing us over from the 1500 mile group.

John

Queen of 3rd Place

Way to go Johnny! You picked a tough course for your first! Shocked Arla

Ex runner

Congrats on your first and so glad to hear you had a great time. Your pics look great!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

theyapper

On the road again...

Good race! You're a MARATHONER!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Into the wild

Thanks guys....it WAS a great day. Any niggles I had have been forgotten already and I'm easing back into training.... not sure what for yet other but it really doesn't matter a jot as running is my hobby/pleasure/pastime/sport.. Blush

Shut up and run