Legs ahead of my lungs. (Read 558 times)

I have been doing squats and one-foot toe raises, just using my body weight for resistance, the last several weeks and have really found it has helped on hills. Did a hill run last night, no tiredness in my legs, very quick recovery, just got breathless at the top, of course. I am convinced the leg exercises helped, if you are wondering if there is any value in doing these give it a try. You don't need a gym membership or fancy equipment, or to spend a lot of time doing them. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's good to hear, Simon, because I just started a class at our YMCA (local gym) where we do LOTS of those kinds of exercises. I've gone only two times, and I'm still very sore! I always struggle on hills, so I think this class will help.
        Did a hill run last night, no tiredness in my legs, very quick recovery, just got breathless at the top, of course.
        Excellent progress with the strength training. Now what you need to do is learn to pace so you can keep running over the top of the hill and take advantage of free speed on the downhill side. Enjoy your hills.Smile
        "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
          I just started doing lunges for the first time ever, and will probably add squats. I think I have some serious muscle imbalances in my legs that cause a lot of pains, so I'm giving these a try. I'll try your ideas out next time, too. Have you tried the 'one legged squat'? That looks interesting.
            redrunner, Another variation of one-legged balance squats is to reach the upper leg as far forward as you can and gently touch the ground, also to the back and to the side. This works the multiple direction muscles as well as balance muscles. Progressions include doing them with closed eyes. Ditto when you do lunges - you can go forward, sideways, or diagonally back; large, medium, or small steps. The size steps really affect what part of quad is used. My PT got me started on those types of drills about 5 yrs ago.
            "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog