ITB and calfs problems (Read 72 times)

laurita

Hello,

I would appreciate if anyone can share of best methods that worked to help/heal problems with the ITB and calfs. I noticed I had pain after running 2.5 miles back in December. I stopped running more than 2-3 miles and started doing other things such as yoga, but that did not seem to help. I went to get massages done on March, but after the third I decided not to go back and find another solution since I felt I was getting even worse.

I just started a physical therapy on my legs that includes electrotherapy + warm moist compresses + and 10-15 min on a elliptical exercise bike. Next week I will start with elastic band exercises.

The therapist recommended to quit all other form of exercise, and only bike easy to see how I react to the first sessions. Also she recommended use a cream that is based on Symphytum officinale in the mornings and compression sleeves or stockings.

I'm a big proponent of MAT to find imbalances in your body, but it's hard to find a certified therapist.

A suggestion that's been given to me because of some issues I am having is start at Ground Zero, like your PT seems to be saying.  Get everything to where it's feeling good, then add, say, a 1 mile run.  See how your calves and IT react.  No problem?  Okay.  Run 2 miles and see how they react, etc., etc.  When you feel something happening, stop and note what you've been doing.

Other things to consider:

Are you wearing the wrong shoes?  See if there's a podiatrist in your area that is a runner or works on runners.  Don't know how to find one?  Call your local college cross-country coach and find out where they send their athletes.  That's how I find my regular PT.

The process of adding and eliminating can be tedious and slow, but we have to remember that we're in this for a lifetime - something I have to keep telling myself as I contemplate giving up my running season to get my issues figured out.

Good luck ~

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

laurita

thank you for your comments, I did not know about MAT, it might be a little hard but at least now iam aware of this.

I combine neutral and stability shoes, once iam clear to run i will start as you suggested, i have no plan on how to start running, i probably need to take little by little instead of going for 3 miles at once.

this looks like a longer than expected process of learning, trying, testing.... hope you get better soon