Misophonia (Read 1443 times)

Oh roo roooo!

I have learned not to be in the computer room w/my hub while he is eating breakfast as the sounds he makes irritate me beyond all reason.  He is not a rude or gross person, but for some reason, it just bothers the hell out of me.  Now, we are able to eat dinner side by side, usually while watching that night's installment of a movie, and that is fine.  Maybe the show covers up the sound so I don't hear it?  Maybe I am crabbier in the AM?

I don't think it always bothered me, only in the past few years.  Interesting to know that there's a name for this.

#artbydmcbride

Only my sister affects me this way, but she eats with her mouth open the whole time!    I can't be near her when she eats.

Runners run

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Causes me to run faster during races. I cannot stand all the huffing and puffing of others - especially when they're going no faster than I am (which ain't fast).

Whistlers and open-mouth eaters also raise my dander.

But, per the article, probably not misophonia - I don't like louder-the-better sounds either. And, in the end, I'm only annoyed by these things - not driven over the edge. Yet.

Liz

pace sera, sera

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

DW accuses me of chewing "in her ear."  It's not a problem if she's eating too.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I absolutely loathe the sound of my husband's sneezes...always have.  Not sure why.  My son is also a chronic throat-clearer...has been since infancy.  That drives both his dad and I bonkers.  As a baby he grunted a lot, even while sound asleep.  That really sucked when he was still sleeping in our room, as I'm a miserably light sleeper.  As a newborn we actually moved his basinet into the next room, that way we'd hear him if he cried, but didn't have to listen to the stream of grunts.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I once told my wife during breakfast that she chewed extremely loud. I've never told her that again.  

What I find more annoying than loud chewing is when eating with some very over-weight friends that breath very heavily while eating. They literally seem to be gasping for air.  I'm thinking to myself, you need a longer recovery period between those 400m repeats. I'm expecting them to real off their split times after each spoonful. I don't think they'd get that attempt at humor. 

My dog smacks his lips several times really loudly after eating - it drives my husband crazy, but not to the point of rage.  He also hates that lip smacking sound of people kissing in a movie, I always thought he was overreacting, or just thought the sounds sounded gross, but it is probably more than that eh?

He also had a problem with a finger strummer guy in his cube farm at his last job.  I could see that bothering anyone though.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

"run" "2" "eat"

there are some people i cannot eat with. like, i can sit with them and even talk to them while they eat, but i cannot eat while they are eating because hearing them makes me lose my appetite.

it's confusing and frustrating to be on the other side of this and so it is nice to have learned this morning that it's not only me. i alternate between thinking either everyone is like me (bothered by sounds) and i just have anger management issues or that no one is like me at all. either i am angry or i am a freak. okay, i might be both angry and a freak, but hey...

there are sound traps everywhere. it's really across the board and can sneak up sometimes. whistling, poppping gum, someone chatting a certain way at the next table in a restaurant -- it can happen anywhere. on the other hand, it's not random sounds that get me. the sounds that are bothersome are consistent - it's just that they are everyday sounds so they can happen everywhere.

i can fall asleep in front of the teevee, and then get up and go in the bedroom with the teevee still on in the den, and i have to turn on the air to cover up the sound so i can relax. and i was just asleep in front of the teevee in the den! alison kraus and iron & wine are among the singers i simply cannot tolerate. humming drives me to distraction. gum popping makes me want to hit someone. chewing. breathing. certain voices. the sound of a spoon clinking against a bowl while my coworker eats lunch. and, don't get me started on scrabbling around in a popcorn bag and then munching the popcorn. it's not as simple as "hey that's annoying" -- it's much more intense. i want to plug my ears and scream, or throw something, or yell SHUT UP!

because it's generally not acceptable to do bodily harm to one's coworkers, i tried using music to tune it out, but because i work with words (tagged text, mostly, like XML) music can be a distraction of a different sort. so i found a white noise app (called simplynoise) for my iphone and i listen with noise cancelling headphones. really calms me down.

the flip side is there are some everday sounds that are completely soothing to me - sounds other people might not even notice. for instance, the sound of someone typing on a keyboard - the sort of prolonged, rhythmic typing you hear when your cube neighbor is typing a long email - that is simply wonderful.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

sincerely silly

I once told my wife during breakfast that she chewed extremely loud. I've never told her that again.  

What I find more annoying than loud chewing is when eating with some very over-weight friends that breath very heavily while eating. They literally seem to be gasping for air.  I'm thinking to myself, you need a longer recovery period between those 400m repeats. I'm expecting them to real off their split times after each spoonful. I don't think they'd get that attempt at humor. 

I used to hate it when my dad chewed with his mouth open and sometimes did that gasping thing!   But I was younger then...and now that I have my own allergy and congestion problems I know that it happens sometimes when you're stuffed up. (He had asthma.)  But I annoy myself when I can't eat without doing a weird gasping thing in between chewing...

shin splints are my nemesis

SimplyNoise - The Best Free White Noise Generator on the Internet.

Not for me. No way. Jeebus that's creepy.

Back in the '90s, whenever I would enter a well-trafficked foyer full of ATM's, while waiting to use one I would close my eyes and listen to the random melodies of all the different beeps as people touched the ATM keypads. It's a weird sort of modern, found music.(I was pretty left-of-center back then)

Now what drives me nuts is all the different beeps and warning sounds used in everyday gas stations/ convenience stores to remind employees to re-set gas pumps, etc. I couldn't work with that as a serenade.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Now what drives me nuts is all the different beeps and warning sounds used in everyday gas stations/ convenience stores to remind employees to re-set gas pumps, etc. I couldn't work with that as a serenade.

Try working in a hospital.

"run" "2" "eat"

simplynoise is not creepy.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

jpdeaux

... all the different beeps and warning sounds used in everyday gas stations/ convenience stores to remind employees to re-set gas pumps, etc. I couldn't work with that as a serenade.

I was surprised by how many gas pumps they had going at the World Championships in Daegu this year. It seemed like every time a race was about to start I swear I heard somebody say, "Fill 'er up, unleaded, Tony", followed by "Shhhhhh" like you were about to wake the baby.

I prefer to believe that the people around me really are loud, obnoxious eaters; rather than to say that *I* have a condition.

And please, no one tell my husband that there is such a condition.  Otherwise I may never break him of bringing food to snack on while watching TV in bed.  A king size bed, and he leans over within a foot of my ear to eat? And it's crunchy food. Any idea how loud those rye crisp things are in the Chex Mix?  Or a bowl of cereal. The spoon clanks against his teeth, the milk slurps, and then of course the crunching!