Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Hi!

First thing first, beer... I am an Italian living in Northern Ireland, I love good wines, and I am learning to like good beers, and i agree with Mick and others on Heineken. There is plenty of good beers around, and Ireland is one of the place you want to be Wink Unfortunately, my body decided it doesn't like it that much... so I have to pay attention as I have bad reaction to certain types of beers and wines (I guess there is something in it my body doesn't digest...)

Welcome Matthew! congratulation on your marathon debut (great time with a negative split!) and ambitions for the HM, I am sure you will get what you are after! I am very far from you in terms of performance and I do not think I can help or give suggestions, but I will read your posts and responses to learn as well as for curiosity. Looking around, I think you are in the right place to get great tips to achieve your goal!

JMac comments on the accents made me think and laugh a lot... I give you all different accents depending on the moment I am reading the post and where I am. The weirdest is probably the Belfast or Northern Irish accent, ever heard them? Normally Americans need me to translate what they say Smile

Since I entered yesterday race with a PB of 1h34'38'', I am happy to say that it is now time for my RR. Yes, I did break my PB, even though it was not smashed under the 90'... but let's start from the beginning.

The taper didn't go as usual, I felt tired the days before the race, with heavy legs. I am guessing I didn't fully recovery from the marathon in Luxembourg, and the many travels and the travel with very early starts over the weekend to Italy (with wedding) didn't help... At the starting line I met a friend from my running club who can run 90 minutes HM and was aiming for 1'40. I asked why on a flat course like this... and he simply said "false advertising, this is not flat and tonight is windy!". Ouch! And he was right!!!

But I started thinking back to why I was running tonight and the initial reason was to experience the 90' pace for at least a few miles, so I went for it! I introduced myself to the pacers and focused on them for as long as I could.

For the first 3 miles we had wind on the side and it was not an easy run, the road was waving up and down, nothing major, but definitely not flat. Mile 4 had a hill that broke the pace. We passed from 6:40 (faster than 1h30') to over 7:10... even the pacers were surprised, but wind and the hill... They said this was normal and we would go a bit faster than 6'50 per mile to compensate the hills. I was putting in more effort that I wanted, and I could feel the legs filling up with lactic acid; but I decided to keep up with the pace and see what my legs could give me. I stayed with the pacers for another 4 miles. Then they went for a bit of a negative split (finishing in 1h29') I went for a crisis... I expected that to happen as I know that my legs get full of lactic acid and become heavy every time I push over the edge of my comfort zone (90' pace is definitely out of my comfort zone for a HM for now), Between mile 8 and 9 the crisis happened. The strike shortened and the pace slowed down.

I passed mile 9 in 1h 1'30'', still on time for 90', but slowing down. Even mile 10 was not too bad in terms of time (1:08:38) but I was slowing down and not getting any faster...

I know now that this is my limit at that speed (and I will work on it for Belfast).

What I liked of my reaction is that I didn't stop trying after the crash, I slowly tried to stay with the runners around me (coming from behind and accelerating from their slower start as they were actually racing smart) and kept the 7'15-7'20 for the next couple of miles.

The last mile was up hill again, and this time everybody else around me was slowing down, I tried to keep the pace, but I had to slow down as well to the point that I was probably running at 8' at the end of the hill. I managed a 7:40 between mile 12 and 13 and finished with a very good (considering the evening and the last month) new personal best of 1 hour, 31'37'' (chip time, gun time at 1h 31'42'' so not much of a difference between the two). This is 3 minutes improvement from last year half marathon in Belfast (flat). Looking at the race overall, they won it with 1h 10'26'' and the third place was at 1h 15' 38'' so I can consider my time more than good. I finished 99th (in the 100 for the first time Smile ) with  a field of just below 1300 runners. On a side, I also noticed that my position was 22nd in the M35 category Wink

Below my splits. Overall I am very happy with the race and the time. I have done what I wanted, experienced the 90' pace. I am now convinced that I can train to go below that in a flat HM. So I will now take a few weeks of recovery (considering these the weeks after my marathon) and then write down a plan to prepare for the Belfast Half marathon in September. I need to find a way to get over the lactic acid and the heavy legs (intervals and tempo runs I guess), but I feel back where I left 15 years ago (when I could run faster on 800 mt. but could not run a HM) and I am motivated to compete with my old times on longer distances. Let's see I can do over the summer Smile

I will ask for help while developing the plan. Suggestions are welcome!

mile Elapsed Time Pace Notes
    1 6:42 6:42 6:42  
    2 6:46 13:28 6:46  
    3 6:40 20:08 6:40  
    4 7:12 27:20 7:12  
    5 6:38 33:58 6:38  
    6 6:34 40:32 6:34  
    7 6:52 47:24 6:52  
    8 6:54 54:18 6:54  
    9 7:09 1:01:27 7:09  
    10 7:11 1:08:38 7:11  
    11 7:15 1:15:53 7:15  
    12 7:20 1:23:13 7:20  
    13 7:40 1:30:53 7:40  
    13.1 0:44 1:31:37 7:20

have a nice day

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Matt - Welcome, and congrats on a killer debut marathon. Honestly I was really expecting a hard crash later in the race after reading your goal time vs the paces you were running. Well done.

Runs won't sync automatically from GC to RA until you log a run after setting up that sync. After that your last 30 days should come over.
      As for training, reading up on Daniels, Pfitzinger, and the like will help out. Knowing the "why" behind the different aspects of marathon training helps.

Rune - My cadence drops on the TM as well, usually by 6-8 spm at easy effort. Probably something to do with the belt helping move my feet backwards.
      I do think the Daniels' M pace is typically too aggressive for an actual marathon, but on an M pace run I will still aim for that pace.

Marco - Congrats on the PR, and nice RR. That quickly after a full marathon and on a rolling course you were still pretty close to your goal. A summer of speed work should go a long way to breaking 90 in the fall.

DD1 has come down with some type of stomach bug and had a rough night last night. All three girls were up really early this morning so I skipped my run this morning to let DW sleep in some. Looking to make up a good chunk of those missing miles during lunch today.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Matthew - Welcome. I'm a little surprised you are trying to run marathons given your age. Are you going to college? If so, did you have any interest in running for the school team? If not, then this is the place to be. I'd recommend you join the Sub 3 marathon thread as well, you'll get some great marathon advice in there and there are plenty of guys with a lot of experience.

Keen - It's interesting you said you still aim for M pace even if it's not your true M pace. Why so? The reason I ask is I wonder about that myself. Is the goal of those workouts to actually hit marathon pace? Or is the goal to run at a certain effort level, which is X% of T pace, even if that is not actually your M pace. JD talks about how M pace stuff is often mental prepping, but then again he points out how 60 minutes of running at his defined M pace is actually a tempo workout.

Mark - On the dehydration thing, it actually is somewhat true. It really depends on the alcohol level. For very light beers (4.5% or less) you can pretty much get away with drinking those all day without hydrating too much.

Rune - Your approach of hydrating and fueling is correct. On any normal day below 65F, I can go 2 hours in a run without needing to drink water. In the summertime though when it's 80+, I tend to drink on any run over 1 hour. For my long runs of 20+, I'll actually get water in every 20 minutes to make sure I don't fall behind, because if you wait too long, you've entered a deficit you will never recover from. Temps between 65-80 I drink based on thirst.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Ok guys Im gonna have to switch beer brands to gain your respect 😀

Mark there was a news item a while back that a beer after a run was better than water....

Matt welcome. You are really fast with potential for sub 2.40 marathons but they are hardcore to train for and race and at 18 you have alot of running left to do. Whatever distance you enjoy go for it.

Keen its hard when family stuff gets in the way but they must come first.

Marco awesome job on a tough course. You must run more half paced runs in training though !

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

Marco - PR congrats.

Re beer - it is just a drink, I don't get wound up with others drinking the cheap stuff.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marco Congrats on the PR nice pace and RR.

Matt > Welcome

Thanks for all the replies/ insight on the fueling questions

so far I have not taken any fuel on my long runs just made water stops to stay hydrated.

I will continue to run without fuel unless I am running long run MP run I'll just have to try some things and see what works

cf

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Some very important news....tonight Im drinking Montieths instead of Heineken. Tastes yummy and is hitting the spot 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Marco- congrats on the PB and good RR!  3 minutes is a lot to knock off a PB so well done.  Sometimes those courses with rolling hills can be tough as it's hard to get a good rhythm going.  Keep the work up and you will be under sub-90 for sure.

Beer - OK it looks like I stand corrected (as you can see I am not really a big beer drinker/expert)

Piwi - I was gonna compliment you on supporting a local beer but is Waikato Draught technically your local beer? 

Me - well tomorrow will be my first cross country since high school (probably 20 years ago).  Athletics Auckland have a race up at Long Bay (near-ish to me) and the Takapuna guys are doing it and invited me along.  A couple are in the open grade but I'm doing Masters (35+).  It's only a 4km course so basically I'll just go hard at it I think.  I know a couple guys in the Masters Grade so I'll benchmark my initial pace off them.  I actually got some cheap Saucony Kilkenny XC spikes off Amazon so now I feel like a bit of a serious runner!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - All of the other paces prescribed by Daniels are pretty spot on, and given that I'm just shy of having been running for 3 years I assume that the M pace is where I would/should be if I had more miles on my legs. For all of the M pace workouts I've done (up to 10mi, I think) the effort has seemed pretty good, HR in line, etc. I just don't think I have the endurance yet to carry that out for a full 26.2. I do think the mental side of things is key as well. M pace is almost awkward to train at - it's much slower/easier than I, R, or T work, yet a good deal faster than easy pace as well. Getting familiarity with that effort is nice. I noticed that M pace intersects with tempo workouts after ~8+ miles, too.

Mark - Best of luck on the XC race! I've never done one before, and I've only ever seen one open XC race advertised around here.

I found a good deal on a pair of racing flats (Altra Vanish-Rs) and picked up a pair. I'm guessing they were "cheap" because men's 12.5's in pink aren't exactly flying off the shelves. These things are scary light - just judging by hand the pair of flats weighs about the same as one of my regular trainers (Altra Escalante).
                    I figure I'll wear them for just the speed portion of a track workout next week and then maybe use them for a 5k for an Independence Day 5k in a couple weeks.

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Wow, you're using zero drop shoes? I absolutely love using 4-6mm drop, but have never dared go down to 0. They definitely seem perfect for a 5K.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I used 4mm drop shoes (Newton Fate, then Saucony Kinvara or Freedom) for the first couple years running, then tried out Altra Escalantes on a whim and loved them (all the cushion of a Freedom with more *pop*). There wasn't a ton of getting used to them for me, with the exception of fast stuff. I did a July 4 5k (the same one I plan on this year, here's hoping for another PR!) in them after a few weeks of only easy runs and my calfs really let me know about the difference in shoes afterwards. It took another month or so before they weren't sore after speed days, but since then no issues.
                        I've got a good 2,300+ miles in zero drop shoes since then so I shouldn't have any issues with them.

Upcoming Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - there's something cool about having a pair of flats dedicated for races.  I always used to love putting on my Mizuno Wave Hitogami's (at 9mm they had a surprisingly big drop for race shoes though) because I basically only ever wore them for races.  I've started wearing Saucony Fastwitch's now which are 4mm drop and feel a bit quicker.

Me - the cross country was a lot of fun.  I ran in the Masters mens division (>35) because I figured chasing young fast dudes around the course would be pretty miserable.  It was a clever course, 2 laps, the first 1km was straight-ish with a few small undulations to break the rhythm, but the second 1km had some real twists and turn in it.  What this meant is that the first km ended up being the fastest (3:16) and at this point I was sitting in 5th.  There was a lead group of 3, then me and another guy.  Towards the end of the first lap, Sasha Daniels (a very good local runner who is just coming back into it) who went out with the lead group faded really badly and so I moved up to 4th.  At this stage the other guy I was with had pulled about 10m ahead of me.  Coming down the straight-ish 3rd km, I knew the second lap was going to be really hard work, especially the second half of it.  I had a big gap of probably around 20-25 seconds on 5th place but was starting to tire.  Unsurprisingly the final km was really tough work and I had to hang in there, it felt like the end of a 5km race when all the oxygen mysteriously disappears.  Ended up holding on comfortably for 4th (14:11 for the 4km) so a pretty good debut all things considered.  Saw Brad, Mark and Dan from Taka who all ran in the open division (Brad wished he'd done Masters though instead).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Well done Mark on the cross country race, fourth, fantastic!!! And great time

Thanks for the report Smile

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

JamesD

JamesD

Marco - Congrats on the PR.

Matt - Welcome, and congrats on the marathon.  How many miles a week do you run, and how many do you run at an easy pace?  As for books, I second Keen's suggestion of Daniels and/or Pfitzinger and add Brad Hudson's Run Faster: How to Be Your Own Best Coach.

Saw a physical therapist on Monday, mainly for my chronic knee trouble even though it's a strained hamstring that has me on the shelf these days.  He gave me quad- & hip-strengthening and hamstring-stretching exercises that, combined with ones I'm already doing and the icing afterwards he recommended, take an hour per session, twice a day.  I'm surprised at how stiff the knees are after exercises that are mostly just clenching my quads, but I hope that means they're helping.  The one time I tried a short easy run, my pace (8:17 and 8:05 for the two miles without pushing it) was in line with my normal easy run pace, which reassured me that I haven't lost all my aerobic fitness.  I'm swimming a little longer each week, and I'm not getting as many leg cramps during pool running, so that helps.  My week:

Sun - off

Mon - 41 minutes swimming, 11 pool running, hamstring got sore

Tues - off

Weds - 28 minutes swimming, 22 pool running

Thurs - 2.1 miles running easy, hamstring got sore

Fri - off, took son to out-of-town baseball game that lasted 15 innings (2/3 longer than normal), so we got back at 4am

Sat - 42 minutes swimming, 30 pool running

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Marky_Mark_17

James - hope those injuries are improving and good job keeping at it with the swimming and pool running.

Me - another solid week at 81km.  Surprised myself with the Thurs tempo run which I thought would be a bit of a battle and ended up feeling great.  Legs were pretty tired today for my long run after yesterday's XC race.

M: weights, 5.5km easy

T: 15.9km progression run (easy -> HMP)

W: 10.4km easy

Th: 17.4km incl. 30 min HMP tempo (~3:35-3:40/km)

F: weights

S: 7.4km incl. 4.2km XC race

S: 24.3km incl. hill reps

Total 80.9km

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"