half marathon 18 days out (Read 1093 times)

an amazing likeness

I <3 Nobby's posts.  One of these days I'm going to stop gearing all my training to marathons, and I'll be begging for a customized Nobby-designed 5k plan.  

You need a 5K plan about as much as a supermodel needs a diet....

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

#artbydmcbride

But Milky, he needs to pull out of that slump!  Big grin

Runners run

Slow-smooth-fast

Did a 5:58 mile interval in tje middle of my easy one yesterday. was happy, felt good. all easy from here  

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Nobby,

Did you mean to share the links in the program? If you did, are you able to share the links to other phases and workouts? For example, the coordination link takes to this URL: http://www.running-wizard.com/library/training_phases/coordination but there is no link to go to other phases and workouts on running-wizard.com.

On the other hand if the links were not meant to be shared, you might want to update your post.

so I derived this program based on that. 

running is somewhat like playing golf to me.   crappy shots all day long, ready to give it up & wondering why I'm trying so hard just to get this stupid little ball into a stupid little hole but then out of the blue comes a monster drive or a long putt that actually gets into the cup.  bingo! that one shot keeps me going for the rest of day no matter how crappy I continue to play & gets me back out again on another day.   strange. -- skyedog

Eddy,

Just a comment on another post you did on diet.  Just as important as the running taper is watching out for the weight increase if you continue to eat the same calories you were when running higher mileage. 

Some of this is good, as your body is recovering from all the good, hard training.   Like to hear other's opinion, but the benefit of carb loading is limited and it can add alot of weight.

Agree with the fiber!  

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

Some of this is good, as your body is recovering from all the good, hard training.   Like to hear other's opinion, but the benefit of carb loading is limited and it can add alot of weight.

And there's a world of difference between an HM and a marathon. Most people who are reasonably trained don't really deplete most available glycogen during an HM, so there's no real need to worry about carb loading. Many people do run low on stored glycogen during a marathon - so it's a different story.

Incidentally I heard an interesting idea the other day. Someone was suggesting that whilst it is good to ensure that your carbs are topped up in the couple of days prior to a marathon that on the morning of the race it's quite a good idea to have some quite fatty food. The theory is that one of the things you want to do in order to avoid running out of glycogen is get a reasonable amount of energy from fat metabolism, and eating some fats means your body tends to do this more.  I've no idea whether this really works in practice...

SMART Approach

Did a 5:58 mile interval in tje middle of my easy one yesterday. was happy, felt good. all easy from here  

This is close to my all out mile pace and I can do a half in 1:32-1:33.  I am not saying you will do this as I am an excellent racer but I think you will easily beat 1:39. For confidence-sake, do first half of the race at 1:39 and effort and if feeling strong, pick up pace a bit after mile 6. Hold that for another 4 miles. With a 5K left, it is then all guts. Good luck! You will do great. Just don't start toooooo fast!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com