Treadmill Advice (Read 1618 times)

I'm looking for some advice. I'm in the market for a treadmill for when my kids go to bed. My range would be 1300-1800. I can't really go over this because my wife would kill me. Any treadmill suggestions? I keep reading that all those treadmill reviews sites are garbage so I dont know what to believe anymore.

I have another option as my parents have a Pacemaster pro plus. It's probably 10 years old, but didn't get much use. I ran on it a few years ago and it seemed pretty decent. Didn't know if something went wrong with it if I could get it fixed or parts for it still.

Should I suck it up and buy a new treadmill (which one?) or just take the old Pacemaster pro plus?

Appreciate any help.

Bucci

For $1500 - $1800 you should be able to buy a decent treadmill, depending on how much mileage you plan to run on the thing. For about 600-800 miles a year on there, the $1500 machines should do just fine.  If you run much more than that you need feedback from those who run more than I do 

I have an old Piece of junk TM that I bought long ago for my Mother in law to walk, and on which I ran occasionally. Bought a new Nordic track Commercial 1500 recently, the experience is totally different, much quieter, more stable etc and more enjoyable run, well as enjoyable as it can get running in place, staring at a wall I guess.

I'd use the 10 year old one until it dies. Then look into something else. For that price range, you'll have lots of options. Before you buy go to the treadmill review web sites for the latest reviews.  

Feeling the growl again

I'd use what you have until it busts, unless there is some reason this is not desirable or you just can't stand it.  In the meantime, could you squirrel away a little more cash for the purpose?  I'd start eyeing the Landice and NordicTrack offerings (like what HappyFeet mentioned).

Please, don't buy a Sole.  If you run 600-800 miles/yr, chances are it will start experiencing significant repair costs right about the time the warranty is up.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Thanks guys for the feedback! I read a bunch of old forums before I posted and saw the troubles spaniel and others had with Sole. I dont see myself purchasing a Sole.

I did like the Nordick Track 1750 and the smooth fitness 7.35R, but I think I may do what you guys have suggested and just run my parents into the ground and buy later. The Landis will be a tough sell with my wife, but you never know.

Thanks again!

MrH

I'm very happy with the Landice I bought last year. My wife is a supporter too.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

just run my parents into the ground  

Don't do this.

HAHA. I'll try not to. I like running outside too much. I'm really not a big fan of the treadmill even though I just ran on one at the gym, but it would be pretty useful to have when the kids go to bed.  

Don't do this.

Feeling the growl again

HAHA. I'll try not to. I like running outside too much. I'm really not a big fan of the treadmill even though I just ran on one at the gym, but it would be pretty useful to have when the kids go to bed.  

My kids already run me into the ground, and they don't even know how to turn the treadmill on yet.

You know, with a flatscreen TV on the wall in front of my treadmill and a DVR hooked up to it, I've been finding more excuses to stay inside some days...or, less reason to make myself/family miserable trying to get time to run outside.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

My kids already run me into the ground, and they don't even know how to turn the treadmill on yet.

You know, with a flatscreen TV on the wall in front of my treadmill and a DVR hooked up to it, I've been finding more excuses to stay inside some days...or, less reason to make myself/family miserable trying to get time to run outside.

I hear you! I feel so bad trying to get a run in on the weekends. I would get it in the AM, but my kids wake up so freaking early that I let my wife sleep in (why she doesnt usually mind me running in the afternoon) and take the kids out for bagels. If I had a treadmill I could just run when I got home from Bagel world while they watch Scooby doo or Team Umi Zumi.

The Flat screen is already on the wall so I'm halfway there!

MrH

The Flat screen is already on the wall so I'm halfway there!

In our house the whole project came together perfectly. I wanted the treadmill. My teenage son wanted to build a PC, so the specification was a home theater PC with blu-ray and streaming. (I let him bump up the spec a little to make a killer gaming rig too. Big grin Wink

Now I just need to use it more, but the last few days at 65 degrees in Jan/Feb have pushed me outside.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

In our house the whole project came together perfectly. I wanted the treadmill. My teenage son wanted to build a PC, so the specification was a home theater PC with blu-ray and streaming. (I let him bump up the spec a little to make a killer gaming rig too. Big grin Wink

Now I just need to use it more, but the last few days at 65 degrees in Jan/Feb have pushed me outside.

Great move! I think it would be hard to even think about running with that kind of a setup.

I have a 15 year old Pacemaster Pro Plus.  Still works great.  I was able to have it serviced about 3 years ago.  No problem working on it.  I would use it instead of spending money on a new one.

Chris

I have a 15 year old Pacemaster Pro Plus.  Still works great.  I was able to have it serviced about 3 years ago.  No problem working on it.  I would use it instead of spending money on a new one.

Thanks Chris! 

If you plan on using it just once in a while, I would save my money and use what I (that is, you) already have.  If/when it breaks, then you can decide if you still like running on a treadmill enough to shell out the bucks.

FWIW, I bought a Nordic Track Commercial 1750 just before Christmas (I paid extra $ for Santa and his elves to deliver it and set it up.  Hohoho!).  It's amazingly solid and quiet.  Of course, I only weigh 135 lbs, so it's not like a herd of elephants are running on it.

The iFit Live stuff is pretty amazing, but (IMHO) you need a laptop that can connect to your wireless router and handle the display.  The 7" color tablet that's embedded in the TM's console is fixed in place at an angle that makes it difficult to view the details of the display.  They really need to allow the screen to swivel, so that people of varying heights can adjust its angle of view.

If you have a laptop, a simulated run through the streets of Paris or Florence (I've done both) is pretty cool.

"It's hard to dance with a devil on your back, so shake him off, oh wo-oh!" - Florence Welch (Florence + The Machine) - Shake It Out