Seemingly Neverending Sick Kitty Saga.... (Read 728 times)

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I'm sorry to hear about Gus. Cry I'd offer to help you stuff out of your kitchen too, but MI is kinda far from MA.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks...I have had a hard time getting into working on kitchen stuff, but I have a feeling tomorrow I will be cleaning and organizing like a madwoman to help take my mind off of things. I cry every time I think about my boy and the fact that by this time tomorrow he will only be a memory.... k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Meow. Sad Meow? Smile {Translation: Gus looks sad in that picture. Do you have any happy pictures of him?}

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Meow. Sad Meow? Smile {Translation: Gus looks sad in that picture. Do you have any happy pictures of him?}
          We have an infamous one that I need to find the negative for. We call it his "fangs" shot. It's taken at a really funny angle and both of his upper canines are sticking out. He doesn't look quite so sad, here: I need to play with that in Photoshop, though...the color is really dull on it. Wanna hear something that will break your heart, though? Just a bit ago I got home from running errands and went into the bathroom to give Gus some love (we've kept him in there to keep him safe--from falls, mainly) and to protect the house from his leaky bladder...and it's quiet in there. He's mostly been sleeping except to get up to get a drink and change position. Anyhow, I was petting his head and suddenly he stood up and tried to make a run for the door...so I let him go out. Man, he has so little control of his hind end and just totters. I'd wager that he's partially paralyzed, maybe? So Derek is sitting with him on the sofa snuggled in a towel. For a moment I had a glimmer of hope that maybe he could pull out of it, but I know that it's not realistic to think that, especially as he won't eat. Sad k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

"Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet prince, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest." (Hamlet, V.ii) I just got up a bit ago. Couldn't sleep and had to pee. We let Gus have roam of the house, last night, partly because he just seemed to want to be out and around, partly because we wanted his last night at home to be as *normal* as possible. I went into the kitchen to check on him, as that seemed to be his preferred room last night. I found him laying, as if asleep, on the kitchen floor. He was already gone. I hope he wasn't in any discomfort, but Derek reminded me that dying in his own home, near his food dish, had to have been more peaceful to him than being put to sleep by strangers in a brightly lit examining room. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here's that last photo, a bit closer to accurate color:

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Kirsten, I'm so sorry to hear about Gus. I've been following this thread from the start and wished that things could turn out for the better. Short of that, maybe it was better that he died in his own home rather than at a stranger's hands. Cry
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

maybe it was better that he died in his own home rather than at a stranger's hands. Cry
                  I really think it was. I have to believe that he wasn't in any pain at the end and that he just passed-on in his sleep. It's comforting to know that we didn't rush his demise...it was always on his terms and we did what we could to keep him comfortable and loved.

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

When I was young, our dog developed leukemia. After an extended treatment and much pain on her part, my parents finally decided to put her down. She died the night before we were going to take her in. I think they know when it's time. Perhaps they struggle to stay alive for our sakes. I am sorry for your loss. I know he will always hold a place in your heart.

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Perhaps they struggle to stay alive for our sakes. I am sorry for your loss. I know he will always hold a place in your heart.
                      I think there is a lot of truth to that. I really feel like Gus was fighting death in those last days...maybe because he wanted to keep us happy. He will always be remembered very fondly. I'm already finding that I'm dwelling on our happy memories with him more than the peeing-in--corners frustrations... k

~ Sarah Kay