Glaciers and travel (Read 580 times)

Best Present Ever

I realized that there may not be glaciers much longer and want to plan a family trip to visit glaciers. I'd love a serious wilderness trip. My husband would be happy to do the drive and stop at a scenic overlook thing, though he's come to enjoy hiking more than he thought he might. My kids are 8 & 11 and reasonably hardy (they can carry a pack and have moderate backcountry sense. They wouldn't be able to face down a grizzly but know not to wander off). They hike 10-12 miles at a time without too many tears. I don't want to spend millions. I'm afraid if it's too back-county-ish it might be too much for them and my husband. Plus, too much straight hiking and my 8 year old son gets bored. (why is hiking boring but bouncing a ball against the living room wall never gets old?). I've thought of the Alaska cruises on the smaller ships. Anyone do one of those? Do they really have lots of active options? Or are they only active if you think a 20 minute walk is exercise? Any other ideas for a fun, not too expensive, glacier-including vacation for a family such as us? MTA: sorry about the iPhone no paragraph thing

Feeling the growl again

I have never been, but what about Glacier NP?  Likely cheaper than a cruise.  They forecast no glaciers left there by 2020, so if you want to see what gave the park its name now is the time.

I have never been but friends who have been there speak highly of it.  Some hiking was required but these people were not athletes by any stretch.  I've spent a lot of time about 50 miles south of there in the mountains, absolutely beautiful.

Get a nice big can of bear spray.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Best Present Ever

I guess I was looking for something more specific. I have a hard time imaging a vacation at a national park that would have enough hiking to make me happy but offer enough other activities to keep my kids, especially the youngest, happy. Car camping is off the table - no one would be happy. Has anyone done something like this? If so, what did you do? Where did you stay? The appeal of a cruise is the mix of activities. The downside is, of course, cost. Has anyone done one of those and enjoyed it/thought it was over priced?

It's sort of far away, but have you considered SE Alaska? Juneau has the Mendenhall glacier.  It was pretty amazing, but I guess it too is shrinking.  I hiked the trail to the glacier and it was one of the coolest hikes I've ever done.

There is also Banff / Lake Louise. 

MTA:  The camping at the park was fantastic and Juneau is really kid friendly.     I really liked it a lot!!!!!!

- Anya

One vacation I flew to Alaska, rented a car and drove around. We stayed in hotels / hostels or with friends. Plenty of disappearing glaciers and hiking trails that you can just pull over at the side of the road. We stayed a few days in each city before moving on. Cant say Im a fan of cruises.

And we run because we like it
            Through the broad bright land

Cant say Im a fan of cruises.

God, me either.   Of course, you would see them.  When I drove to AK from DC back in 2008, I saw some pretty fantastic glaciers.  You don't realiaze they are even glaciers when you're standing next to one.  Well, I guess I didn't know what to expect until I saw one. 

I am a fan of the ferry system in AK.  Much better than a cruise ship.

Remember crusies are for:   The newlywed,  the almost dead, and the overfed. 

Plus, you have to take a helicopter from the boat to the glacier.  

- Anya

Iceland without a doubt. I traveled there with my daughter last summer, loved it so much we went back this past June. It is a hikers paradise. We rented a car and drove around stopping to hike at volcanoes, waterfalls, hot springs, glaciers, the ocean, the mountains, whatever was interesting. The citizens are some of the kindest and most welcoming I've come across. It can be pricey, but compared to a cruise, I found it to be about the same. I can't wait to go back.

BTW - I used to do cruises but being surrounded by the newlywed, nearly dead, and esp. the overfed, put me off them forever!

kcam

Yosemite as well as the Eastern Sierra range has lots of glaciers.   Mammoth Lakes is pretty awesome in the summer (for taking a short backcountry trip to Thousand Islands lake  serving as a base for hiking up to the glaciers).  The glaciers are on Mt Banner - unbelievably beautiful.  You can backpack/hike on part of the John Muir trail and/or the Pacific Crest Trail.   The ski resort becomes a mountain bike park in the summer and the town is pretty cool.  Drive  a couple hours and you're in Yosemite.  I would have to rate this as more skewed towards hiking/backpacking/nature rather than Disneyland-type 'kid' actitivities though.  

PS - I hear there's some decent running there, too!Smile

Best Present Ever

Thanks for the ideas (Iceland?  intriguing, though pricey.  And Alaskan ferry system, I'll have to check on that).  I wasn't looking for Disneyland-like kid activities.  More like a day of rafting, a day of kayaking, a day of hiking -- days in a row of hiking become tedious for the kids.  We have a slight problem, too, that my youngest has some animal phobias after his dog bite two years ago.  They are a bit hard to predict -- he became terrified during a sea kayaking trip last summer and and he and I had to turn back. (How could we know there would be no sharks?)  He was able to camp in the back country with me earlier this summer, though we had a rather painful conversation in which he wanted to know how I 'knew' there were no bears near our tent.  "I know there are bears in the these mountains, but how do you know there are no bears here where we are?"*  So, while wildlife is awesome, and we know how to be safe, etc, there is an unpredictability to his backcountry anxiety that makes me reluctant to go too hardcore. Iceland doesn't have bears I don't think ... 

I am with everyone on the cruises -- not my idea of fun.  The cruise I was looking at had a gear list that was more Outward Bound than Love Boat.  When I tried to find the prices, it seems that the particular outfit is not actually in business, which might make booking a trip difficult.

* I find his questions to be heartbreaking.  He so much wants to be reassured ("We know there are no sharks/bears/big mean dogs because...") and yet I can't promise him total safety.  He's not that interested in risk assessment at this point,   We know as parents that we can't keep our kids safe all the time.  I'm not a parent who is consumed with the desire to bubble wrap my kids.  However, I wish my little guy didn't  have such a clear understanding that there are dangers from which I cannot protect him.  

kcam

Sorry, please don't take offense at 'Disneyland-like' - lots of kids think that that's the best vacation ever and we did those with my kids when they were young.  Just that Mammoth can be a great vacay for kids that are into outdoor adventures - mountain biking (extreme and tame), rock wall climbing, skateboarding, horseback / dirt-bike / ATV riding etc in addition to the can-be-boring-for-kids backpacking / hiking / fishing.    And you can see glaciers, the ones in the lower 48 are the ones that may disappear entirely fairly soon.

Stacks

What about the Pacific Northwest?

I grew up in Vancouver, and there is very accessible hiking to glaciers along the 2 hr drive from Vancouver up to Whistler. 

The Black Tusk/Garibaldi Lake area in Garibaldi Provincial Park is spectacular, as is the Singing Pass area (located at Whistler), and both offer easy access to spectacular alpine and glaciers within about a 3hr moderate hike from the trail head (less in the case of Singing Pass if you cheat and start from the top of Whistler via chairlift). Both are probably better experienced as three day/two night hikes (day 1 hike in, day 2 hike around, day 3 hike out) but doable as strenuous day trips.  There are shelter/huts at some of the campgrounds which might ease wildlife concerns (though I remember them hosting a few mice).  Not sure if you can reserve these...

Between them I would think that Vancouver/Whistler would take care of the "entertaining the kids" factor. 

I didn't spend my teenage years in the mountains of Washington, but I suspect there are similar glaciated areas in the Cascades or the Olympics, not too far from Seattle.