Need tips for improvement (Read 199 times)

Synex

I have been treadmill runner for about 2 years. I finally took up outdoor running about 20 days ago and I have done 10 runs in total on alternate days.

Initially I managed to about 7km in about 40 minutes. Today I managed to run 11.2 KM in 54.36 and could not hold pace and had to stop.

I need tips for the following

1. Am I running too fast for a novice?
    2. I have difficulty in holding pace even for 5km on hot days (30c +). How to get over this? Today's run was good since it was 18c

Any tips are appreciated

catwhoorg

Labrat

Run more miles,

Mots runs should be easier.

Slow down further when its hot

If on a regular run you are struggling to hold the pace, you are running it too fast.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

1. You're running too fast for you.   If you're running the same distance you find easy on the treadmill, but outdoors you cannot hold the pace, then it might be the weather, or it might be the terrain (slight hills, etc).

2. Holding pace at 30C is always going to be difficult compared to the same pace at 20C.  You should adjust your expectations and give yourself a break because of the heat.   Running in the morning is usually a better idea.

Generally, you should run at a pace you can keep a conversation going without gasping.  This is the so-called "easy" pace.  "easy pace" will be different in 18C and 30C.  Just stop looking at your watch and start listening to your breathing.  Some runs (maybe once a week) can be a "hard" effort.  For you this probably means a stiff pace you can keep for 5K without losing pace, but you couldn't tell a joke by the way you're breathing.

After that, sign up for a 5K race and do your best -- that will help inform the rest of your paces.

Welcome to running on the road!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

pedaling fool

I agree with others that the external factors of running outside can have an affect on your times.

However, I'm kind of curious of how consistent you were as a treadmill runner and how that compares to your outside running, based on your observations?

TripleBock

Variety is the spice of life.  Run slower and longer, faster and shorter, run 1st part of run slower to warm up and last 20 minutes harder, run easy + do some intervals faster (Like 5 minute faster with 2 minutes easy between), run easy with striders at end (6-8 striders = consistently accelerate over a distance of 30-40 meters a speed you could maintain for 200 meters, then float (= stay at that speed) for 30 meters then take a minute or two really easy or walk and repeat.  Do hill repeats after an easy run.

Each type of a run has a purpose of improvement:

Form

Lactic Acid Clearing

General Aeorbic conditioning

Strength

Vo2 max

You do not have to follow a plan to have a plan - A good plan is to mix it up.  Take the last 20 minutes of a run once per week and run at a pace you think you could run a 15k in.  Do longer steady run once a week. Do striders once a week after an easy run.  Run the last K or 2K of an easy run faster if you are feeling good.

Just do not try and run as hard as you can every time - Monotony is ot good for the body or soul.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

Synex

However, I'm kind of curious of how consistent you were as a treadmill runner and how that compares to your outside running, based on your observations?

Well in the treadmill I could hold pace without an issue but I do not run long sessions. Maximum session would be about 40 minutes starting from about 9Kmh to about 14kmh at the end.  For me even 40 minutes is too much coz I get bored but I did it 5 times a week.

I had a big  confidence issue (I'm not obese or overweight but a mental state) to run outside so I did not until recently. The main difference I find between the two is that I find that in running outside lot of factors affect the run. The heat, the hills (very many in the area I run) , type of road, all affect the pace I'm running and I have to keep focus on keeping pace. But I still think I run at a higher average speed in outdoors than the treadmill and now after few runs I can keep pace close to an hour. Running outside is enjoyable because I'm yet to get bored.

I also think (may be very wrong) the body uses slightly different muscles when in the treadmill when compared to outdoor running.  In the treadmill I find you are trying to stay upright (backward motion?)  while the belt does all the work where as in outdoor running  you have to have a forward motion and you have to propel yourself.  Down side of outdoor running I think when compared to the treadmill is the impact on your body. I find the treadmill to be lesser of an impact.

pedaling fool

Well in the treadmill I could hold pace without an issue but I do not run long sessions. Maximum session would be about 40 minutes starting from about 9Kmh to about 14kmh at the end.  For me even 40 minutes is too much coz I get bored but I did it 5 times a week.

I had a big  confidence issue (I'm not obese or overweight but a mental state) to run outside so I did not until recently. The main difference I find between the two is that I find that in running outside lot of factors affect the run. The heat, the hills (very many in the area I run) , type of road, all affect the pace I'm running and I have to keep focus on keeping pace. But I still think I run at a higher average speed in outdoors than the treadmill and now after few runs I can keep pace close to an hour. Running outside is enjoyable because I'm yet to get bored.

I also think (may be very wrong) the body uses slightly different muscles when in the treadmill when compared to outdoor running.  In the treadmill I find you are trying to stay upright (backward motion?)  while the belt does all the work where as in outdoor running  you have to have a forward motion and you have to propel yourself.  Down side of outdoor running I think when compared to the treadmill is the impact on your body. I find the treadmill to be lesser of an impact.

Well, let me address something first off, while I agree that a treadmill provides a surface that is less rigid (less impact); the belt does not do any work for you. I want to point this out, because I use to believe this, but was proven wrong not too long ago in this thread (starts on about page 7) http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/11b1ce899a8f4c7c9eec66c08e823ff1/6

However, the treadmill does make it easier to run, if for no other reason, than to provide you with consistent conditions, both in the running surface and external things, especially the climate/wind. (BTW, just a little footnote on your speed while running on a treadmill: Are you sure of how well calibrated it is? Not a real question, more rhetorical question or something to consider).

The body is lazy, very lazy and much like a child. If you present it with only one form of exercise (in this case, not just running, but running on a treadmill) it will become very accustomed to that and figure out a way to do it in the most efficient way possible. However, once you throw it a curve (i.e. running outside, with all the variables) it rebels, much like a child rebels when you attempt to make it eat its veggies instead of candy.

Some tricks to running outside I've found useful: 1) mix it up, i.e. maybe you need to start doing speedwork; it gives you another goal to attain, because just simple running does get old after a while. 2) Run hills, again another goal. 3) Sometimes I go running with no real course set out and don't pay attention to time/distance; rather, I'm looking at other people's yards, so I can get ideas on how to change mine -- I do a lot of gardening/self landscaping.

I wouldn't worry too much or compare your running times on the treadmill vs outside; keep those two things separate. Same for if you ever take up trail running -- don't ever expect your 5K run time on a road to be the same as your 5K trail time.

Yes.. conditions are constant. Constantly hot and sweaty. It is not ideal to run in a humid space.

Wind? Hmm.. most of us don't run fast enough for that to matter. If we do, just use the incline.

Calibrated issue is an easy fix too. Run by feel. Its not going to be the same as running on a road. And its not going to be the same as running on a track.. or trails... or any other surface. Do your best, that's all anybody can hope for.

However, the treadmill does make it easier to run, if for no other reason, than to provide you with consistent conditions, both in the running surface and external things, especially the climate/wind. (BTW, just a little footnote on your speed while running on a treadmill: Are you sure of how well calibrated it is? Not a real question, more rhetorical question or something to consider).

And we run because we like it
                  Through the broad bright land

pedaling fool

...Wind? Hmm.. most of us don't run fast enough for that to matter...

I'm from a cycling background, so before I got into running I use to smirk when I heard about wind and running. However, since I've gotten more miles in, I've found that I'm more sensitive to the wind, than when I first got into running.

I guess it helps living next to the ocean where there's always a wind, it's especially noticeable when I run on the beach with an unencumbered headwind, then turn around and have it as a tailwind; the difference is incredible.

chrisiankov

I could give you one tip that helped me and my team a lot. Out sponsors gave us an aqua arm (so they called) and it's a kind of an arm but wraped with water around you hand. http://www.aqua-arm.com/ this is the only result i found on the internet.

Hope I helped.

Cheers.

GinnyinPA

One thing - since you live in an area with lots of hills, don't try to maintain your pace on the hills.  You want to maintain the level of effort, but not the pace.  That will wear you out quickly.  If you can, go somewhere that is less hilly from time to time.  Do some running on flat roads/trails so that you get an idea of what it takes to maintain an easy pace over time/distance without effort. Yes, hills are your friend when it comes to getting stronger and faster, but they really screw up your sense of pacing.  On the TM, you were able to be utterly consistent with the pacing without giving it a thought.  In hilly country, being consistent in the pace means being utterly inconsistent in the level of effort.  Downhills are easy, uphills very hard and it takes a lot of work to do them at the same pace that you do the downhills or flats.  Instead, slow down on the uphills so that you can still breathe on the way up.  They will become easier with time, but they will always be more work than flat or downhill.

onefatchick

This nifty calculator http://www.runworks.com/calculator.html can do equivalent pace calculations that take into account different environmental factors like headwind/tailwind, temperature, elevation profiles etc.  I find it useful as a tool in realizing what differences in time can be expected given a particular situation when I feel my time on the clock doesn't reflect my effort..