Faster on road than on the track (Read 56 times)

sukesh

Hi,

I have been following the intermediate Hal Higdon plan for a faster 5k. I have noticed in my base runs that the runs which I do on the track are much slower and are more tiring than the base runs I do on the roads. An example from last week, I did a 5km (3.1 mile) run on the track and was able to maintain an average pace of 7:47 min/km (very slow I know), but on the roads I was much faster (average pace was at 6:40/km) despite the route being a hilly one. I noticed I was able to hold good running form when running faster and the pace was comfortable (2 miles in, I was feeling comfortable enough to hold a conversation). I was equally fresh for both runs.

Do I stick to road runs? They are fun, not very tiring. The track is monotonous and running feels like a chore there. But the surface is undoubtedly softer and more forgiving.

Any advice on how to go about?

Thanks in advance!

Background info: 103kg runner, 21 y/o male, 6 months into running. Running 4 times a week, weight training 4 days a week. Targeting a sub 30 5k, on the road to a sub 60 10k. I usually run in the Pegasus 38.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

How are you measuring distance covered on the road and on the track?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

The track is monotonous and running feels like a chore there. 

This could be the reason you are slower on the track. It could be a mental block. I don't like running on the track bc I don't like a ton of corners and it's repetitive.

If running on a track means you don't spend as much time running bc you don't like it, then it doesn't matter if it's softer. If you enjoy road running, then you are likely to do that more. Stay off sidewalks; they are hard and not good for you. If you have gravel pathways in your area, those will be the most forgiving. You can do this!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

sukesh

I count laps on the track. I run the route on road and measure it with Google maps. (I don't use a running watch)

How are you measuring distance covered on the road and on the track?

Half Crazy K 2.0

The high school track I've used in the past isn't in the best condition. One winter day, it was cracking under my feet.  I can only assume there was water underneath that froze & then the track was buckling a bit. So that sort of things doesn't help with speed.

Something else I've noticed on the track is that if you are wearing road shoes on the track, you can get too much give between the shoes & track. Best way I can describe it is that you sort of sink into both the shoe & the track, vs just into the shoe on the road. I wear Mizuno Wave Ridedrs and they feel way peppier running fast on a road vs a track.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I count laps on the track. I run the route on road and measure it with Google maps. (I don't use a running watch)

Unless you are consistently running on the inside lane of the track, you will be undermeasuring the distance you cover on the track.  Are you always running in the innermost lane?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

sukesh

Unless you are consistently running on the inside lane of the track, you will be undermeasuring the distance you cover on the track.  Are you always running in the innermost lane?

I usually run in lane 3 or 4. And I use the corrected distance while measuring the total distance. But you do have a point there, I waddle off into the outer lanes once in a while.

PS. The time of the day I go, Lane 1 is filled with faster runners doing intervals and stuff. So, I'm forced to run in those outer lanes, thus beckoning inconsistency in lane discipline, I believe