5k ? (Read 606 times)

I'm doing my first 5k this weekend. I've never done one before. I've done 10K's and a halfs.... I'm actually freaking out about this race. I'm a slower runner, and my question is, do you run "flat out" the entire time? I don't want to crash and burn...

- Anya

jeffdonahue

Nope, especially for your first one. Start off a little slower and at the one mile mark you can guage whether you can pick up the pace a bit and settle into your race pace. I then usually try to pick it up again at the 2 mile mark and then crank all out for the last quarter mile or so to finish strong. Best of luck and just enjoy the whole experience.
        Nope, especially for your first one. Start off a little slower and at the one mile mark you can guage whether you can pick up the pace a bit and settle into your race pace. I then usually try to pick it up again at the 2 mile mark and then crank all out for the last quarter mile or so to finish strong. Best of luck and just enjoy the whole experience.
        Good game plan. Sounds easy enough! Thanks

- Anya

I'm doing my first 5k this weekend. I've never done one before. I've done 10K's and a halfs.... I'm actually freaking out about this race. I'm a slower runner, and my question is, do you run "flat out" the entire time? I don't want to crash and burn...
          A lot of people say to run full out for a 5k but I still haven't gotten to that point. I start out fast and then ease up for the second mile and then attempt to speed up for the third it. It usually ends up that my first mile is my fastest which might be why I burn out during mile 3. Eventually I'd like to be able to go all out for the full three miles but I think I'm still a year or so away from that. Sad I don't train enough. Just go with what your comfortable with for this one since it's your first and then you'll have a base for future 5k races. Good luck and have fun with it. It'll be over in a blink compared to the 10k and halves!

Michelle

Go Pre!

It's your first, of many I assume, so it's atester. Start out as you would in a 10K pace and by the half mile quicken your pace to a point you think you can maintain and hold on. Next time around you'll have a better idea of what you can manage. Judging by your log, you should come in under 30 minutes, maybe 28, if your easy runs really are easy. Good Luck - enjoy!
              Just got back, fun! I did it in 27:56 which is WAY better than I thought I'd do. I'll take it!!!!

- Anya

Way to go Anya!!! That is a number to be proud of. What did you learn?

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Way to go Anya!!! That is a number to be proud of. What did you learn?
                  I think I learned, that it is possible to improve your speed afterall. I was sort of shocked at my time. I've been working on running form and doing core strengthening work at boot camp. I think it's helped me go faster, which is somthing I was never really interested in before, but now, I'm kinda excited..But, I'd like to see how I'd do at a 10k. The last time I did one , it was just a hair over an hour. I'm not sure I could keep that pace the entire time.... This was my first 5k, so I really shouldn't get too excited!

- Anya

The Greatest of All Time

Just got back, fun! I did it in 27:56 which is WAY better than I thought I'd do. I'll take it!!!!
                    Congratulations!!!!
                    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.