workout plan (Read 1505 times)

jmwfood

is there anyway we can add our plan or running (biking swimming, etc.) schedule so that we can have a running total of plan vs. actual? Thanks for putting together a great site. I use it for everyworkout and certainly appreicate the effots.
    eric :)

jmwfood and everyone, A training schedule is one of the features I'll be working on this year. I don't have a time line for when I would get to it yet. I've been thinking about what is involved during my free time (and I don't get much of that). Obviously, this will be a big effort, and I would like everyone that want such a feature to post their thoughts here. Think of this as a chance to have a feature that is created just for you, which means you will have to tell me what you want. For example, jmwfood wants it to be able to compare the actual workout to the schedule. What else would you like to see? eric Smile
        Eric, I've been using your site for only about a month now, but I can honestly say it is exactly what I envisioned when I was planning to write my own. Except that I'm mainly a Java developer, so I was planning a J2EE app... Anyway, I had some ideas for integrating with a training program as well - things like having emails go out at the user's preferred time to let them know about their plan for the day, allowing graphing of plan versus actual, entering customized plans, or choosing from other user's publicly defined plans, etc. I would actually be more than happy to help out with this effort too, if you are looking for some developers! Thanks for a great site! Jim
        Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
        -- Yoda

Hi Jim! Thanks for offering your help! Right now, it's still in the early stages of planning. I thought I would get some feedbacks from everyone first to get a better idea of what's involved. I find the most difficult part of adding a feature is doing the layout of the page. Once I have that, adding the feature is a snap. I might take you up on your offer when I begin work on it! eric Smile
          jmwfood

Thanks Eric and other poster. The training plan would be great. I realize you have a lot of other stuff going on, anything you can do would certainly be appreciated. JMWFOOD
            ScottChapman

I second the request. My wife and I are training for a marathon, and we would like to enter what we plan to do and then follow up with our actual perfomance. This would really be useful!

Imminent Catastrophe

is there anyway we can add our plan or running (biking swimming, etc.) schedule so that we can have a running total of plan vs. actual? Thanks for putting together a great site. I use it for everyworkout and certainly appreicate the effots.
                Yes, a training plan calendar would be great, especially if we could add other activities (like work and travel schedule) so we can plan around it. Eric, it's so easy for us out here to suggest things that would take you weeks of work to implement. Thanks again for your great resource.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Just a thought, but would it be possible to integrate the training calendar elements with google calendar. I am not sure how rich their API is, but I am already using the calendaring for everything else, if I could integrate my training schedule as well that would be fantastic. P.S Thanks for the European mapping.

Just a thought, but would it be possible to integrate the training calendar elements with google calendar. I am not sure how rich their API is, but I am already using the calendaring for everything else, if I could integrate my training schedule as well that would be fantastic.
                    I have no idea what it would take to get it to work. This is more of a fringe feature, so I won't be able to get to it in the near feature. Right now, I'm concentrating on adding core features that will provide richer contents for all users. Once they are out of the way, I'll provide data sources so you can suck your data out to your sites. eric Smile
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This is what my training plan looks like. The color codes have meaning to me (yellow is a race, pink is an organized training run with the local running group) http://www.harpethhillsmarathon.com/docs/Run.html
                      ScottChapman

Any update on some kind of "planning" feature?

Any update on some kind of "planning" feature?
                          Scott, I haven't begun work on it yet. I am currently focusing on implementing groups. I am planning to start work on it towards the end of this year (which is closer than you think). eric Smile
                            In order to keep track of my training schedule I have created a "Planned" and a "Missed" run type, under Options > My Log Preferences > Workout Types > running. That way I can actually add all of my workouts ahead of time and then merely fill in the proper information when the run come up. The only thing that I am unable to do with this setup is to do any reporting on them, though I am mostly using the Summary page. Anyway, nice work Eric. Any plans on making the site some sort of open source project to get some additional help??

Creating a training plan using Excel is trivial work, but when the exact same scheme is applied to a website, it might become overwhelming to the user. It's not easy to make it easy to use with the same flexibility. I suppose it's one of those features that I'll have to try out different formats to see what works best. I haven't thought much about open sourcing it. I have a concrete vision of what this site should be, and with multiple people working on it, keeping everything cohesive might become an issue as the developers work on their own pet project instead of what's good for the majority of users. Although it is a lot of work, I enjoy doing it and for now, that's all that matters.
                              Wingz

Professional Noob

In order to keep track of my training schedule I have created a "Planned" and a "Missed" run type, under Options > My Log Preferences > Workout Types > running. That way I can actually add all of my workouts ahead of time and then merely fill in the proper information when the run come up. The only thing that I am unable to do with this setup is to do any reporting on them, though I am mostly using the Summary page. Anyway, nice work Eric. Any plans on making the site some sort of open source project to get some additional help??
                                I use the "event" feature and just put my planned workout in as the title. That way it doesn't get added up into my miles or summary, and I can move it from week to week by just changing the date of the "event". It's a little cumbersome, but it works for what I need.

Roads were made for journeys...