Ads are launched (Read 2086 times)

Who would have known that these ads would result in so much entertainment.  I decided to turn my ads on just for the fun.

keeponrunning

I can 'swim at home' Joking  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Tramps

gee, $10 for a whole year's subscription? I think I can handle that Cool

I appear to be grandfathered in for several years due to my previous donations so, until I saw this, I didn't realize you were only asking for $10 a year.

You can't even run most local 5K's for $10--and that lasts a half hour or less!  A year's worth of service for $10? That's crazy talk.

A pair of running shoes(~$80)  = 8 years worth of Running Ahead? That's crazy talk.

I want to see you and this site do well so I'm suggesting something I've never done before: a price increase.  Seriously.

I appreciate your wanting to keep this site widely available but going bankrupt isn't gonna help anyone.

How about something like this: 

• Student/low income one-year subscription: $10.
        • Standard one-year subscription: $25 (about the price of a local race)
        • Additional donation: $_________  (help this site keep improving!)

That way you give many folks who can afford more a concrete target.  And, if folks can afford even more, great.

P.S. Your handling this transition so well that my Cool Running / Active PTSD symptoms are abating. Smile

Be safe. Be kind.

xor

Tramps, it's already set up so you can make an additional donation.  If'n you wanna.

10's way low to me as well.

So far, the ads are kind of fun.  Most of my ads are running related.  Including "SAP: Run Better" because google has either moofed up a different meaning of the word 'run', or it knows I used to be an IT Operations guy.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

"SAP: Run Better"

That's pretty insulting.

Tramps

Tramps, it's already set up so you can make an additional donation.  If'n you wanna.

Yeah, but I suspect the psychology of this is that if you say "it cost $10" most people will pay $10. I love the fact that Eric wants to keep it accessible to folks with limited funds but many of us can easily afford to pay more and suggesting a specific amount (I threw out $25 but it could be some different number) will likely generate more income.  That's why fundraising appeals never say "Donate what you can"  they say things like "Make your donation of ___$10   ___$25  ___$50 or more $_____"  to orient the donor.

Be safe. Be kind.

HCH

Well, the ads seem to persistently want me to be in Boston.  Ok, I'm being somewhat dramatic.  But I *do* keep getting presented a yelp ad that is Boston-specific.

Then again, I've gotten several Seattle ads too.

Ad technology fascinates me.

I share your curiosity. Does anyone know the basic premise for how Adsense works? Are my ads based on my posts in RA, my Google searches, or what? Here's a sample of my ads this morning:

- Become a Personal Trainer -- makes sense on a fitness board

- 13.1 Minneapolis -- yup

- Windows Log Management -- maybe

- 5* Log Analyzer -- maybe

- American Family Insurance -- everyone needs P&C insurance

- Send money to the Philippines -- WTF???

Only 26.2 miles more to go.

HCH

MTA: wow - something that hasn't happened to me in a while - costs me less in Canadian to donate in American dollars - doing a double happy dance (feel good about donating AND happy about the exchange lol)

I predict good things for the Blue Jays in a year or two. That's what happened the last time the Canadian dollar was this strong.Smile 

Only 26.2 miles more to go.

xor

Ad stuff is really complicated and it picks up bits and chunks from various places.  One thing is that some ads (not all ads) are based on the context of the page itself... really, key words.  And sometimes it gets a little weird.  Those two log things?  Are you in IT?  More likely, google doesn't get the difference between various computer-y logs (like the windows event log) and ye olde running log.  It's log! It's log!

For the same reason, I am occasionally getting an ad for Running SAP.

But there are other things.  I was in Seattle.  For a couple hours this morning, I was at DFW.  And I got a couple Dallas-specific ads.  Now I'm in KC, but so far no KC ads.

Edited: No, it still seems to think I'm in Dallas.  I've a hunch about this.  I will see later when I log in via something other than American Airlines' network.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, I figured that TRX would be the first thing to pop up.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Gmail - sometimes when I exchange emails with my musical groups I get ads for scrap metal and brass dealers.  Again, insulting.

Imminent Catastrophe

Gmail also--I get one that says 100-00-50K. Turns out it's a part number for some electronic device. But they got a click-through!

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Adsense definitely posts ads based on things you have recently viewed/searched, as well.  I keep getting ads for See's candy fundraiser programs...which I was looking at a week or two ago via a Google search.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

MEET FITNESS SINGLES!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So here on RA, AdSense presumably doesn't actually know who we are (unlike gmail), but it knows (tries to know) our geographical location, and of course the subjects mentioned in each thread.  Is that your take on it, srlopez?  Or maybe it does know who I am.  Might it track via cookies the topics I've visited as being different from yours?  Can it do cross-site analysis with other sites that use Google ads?

Are the rest of you seeing home security system ads?  Why do I need one?  If Google says so, them maybe a burglary is imminent.