Pain in hip/groin (Read 584 times)

I am a new runner just at the end of my C25K which was my total intro to running. I'm feeling pretty good but having some trouble in the lower back area and hips. Nothing that stops me running but just of a sort that makes me feel 600 years old the morning or after sitting for a long time. I'm trying to be diligent about stretching but would like to know where to focus. All the hip pain stuff seems to focus on ITBS but my pain feels different than what is usually described. Here is what I'm feeling. Tightness and soreness "inside" in the hip girdle area right in about the area where the crease of the leg lower ab is. I am also sore in the lower back but the pain isn't really in the spine more at the tops of the buttocks but feels like. I guess if you picture a skeleton it feels like the soreness is in around the muscles as they attach in and around the pelvis. Does that make any sense. I'm not being really technical about anatomy here, just trying to describe it. I do have tight hips and I'm overweight. I'm trying to alleviate both but a bit clueless on where to focus. Any hints and tips or ideas about what might be going on.
    The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
    • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
    • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
    • Complete a 10K fun run
    RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Post run stretching and the use of a foam roller will help with the tightness. Obviously, if you say you are overweight, dropping a few lbs will help as a whole. However, you need to strengthen your core, which should include hip flexor exercises as well as the standard ab and back exercises. Perhaps consider a pilates and/or yoga class, depending on what's available? There are also a number of DVDs, of the same, aimed at runners.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Member Since 2008

Go to youtube and search for hip stretching such as one legged pidgeon and always remember to stretch when your muscles are warm.
          Google adductor and see what ya think! I've been having similar problems. Mostly at the crease of the leg where it meets the lower ab, but also slight hip and thigh soreness. All of these symptoms seem to relate to the adductor muscles since there all going on at the same time. Went for a short run this a.m. after a couple of do nothing days and things feel much better. Rest, rest and more rest is sometimes the only cure for these aches and pains we sometimes get. Good Luck......Jewels
          But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee