Does Nike Produce Reputable Running Shoes? (Read 287 times)

lucho29

I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned Adidas. I posted a similar question on another running forum -- about thin feet -- and was just bombarded with people telling me to check out Adidas' line of shoes. Anyway, I think they were a pair of Adidas Adizero shoes, or something like that. They were red. THEY. FIT. INCREDIBLY. WELL.

Not too many people can be wearing these things because they were DANG thin, in my opinion. Fit great! I'm strongly considering the exact same pair for my next running investment, honestly. I appreciate everything that you guys have suggested. Thanks so much!

runmichigan

Adidas was one of the major running shoe companies back in the 1980s and early 1990s.  In the late 1990s they seemed to fall out of favor with most runners in the U.S.  Perhaps, they have become an innovator again in their running shoe line, but I have not seen them carried by any specialty running store I have visited in the last several years.

The right running shoes are always in the eye of the runner.  I recommend that anyone is considering buying running shoes go to a specialty running store and be properly fitted for shoes that fit you, your running style, and where you typically run.  You should try on multiple brands to find the right shoe for you.

This thread is a big pile of WTF.

Runners run

Kalsarikännit

They were red. THEY. FIT. INCREDIBLY. WELL.

The red shoe thing is supposed to be the secret that no one discusses as to not blow the competitive advantage. Way to go.

Also, every time I read "thin feet", I think of Don Martin.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

My bestest marathon was run in silver nikes. But they had red stitching and red laces. And now we know the secret. At a minimum, the red likely cancelled out the irreputable swoosh.

This thread is a big pile of WTF.

Yeah, I am still thinking about how to weigh my feet. Maybe you immerse them in a big graduated cylinder and take the volume delta and make some sort of estimated weight? How far up the ankle do you go, though? If my feet are fat, what do I do?

jpdeaux

You've got some wheels. If 183 is still your weight, that's some pretty quick runnin'.

My bestest marathon was run in silver nikes. But they had red stitching and red laces. And now we know the secret. At a minimum, the red likely cancelled out the irreputable swoosh.

You've got some wheels. If 183 is still your weight, that's some pretty quick runnin'.

uhh... yes, I am currently 44lbs over my best race weight, and I can't run ONE MILE as fast as my last my last... 3 marathons.  Maybe, barely.  I am bona fide 183.

Yeah, I am still thinking about how to weigh my feet. Maybe you immerse them in a big graduated cylinder and take the volume delta and make some sort of estimated weight? How far up the ankle do you go, though? If my feet are fat, what do I do?

Just go to the local hospital. They can take them off at the ankle bone and weigh them and then reattach. It will take a few weeks for recovery but well worth it.

ultramarathon/triathlete

This thread can't be serious.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                      Gatorade Endurance Team

Wow! I had no idea! Yeah, I'm going to get him (my friend) checking out this forum! That's incredible! I guess if Nike shoes are good enough for Olympic athletes, they should be good enough for me. Since I've got you guys here, let me propose one more question: What's a good shoe for a runner with thin feet?

I mean, I have REALLY thin feet and am looking for a shoe that will be good for daily training runs. Chuck Tailors are about the thinnest shoe out there (jokes, no worries), and not even those are thin enough for me. Interested in your responses! Thanks so much for helping out a newbie, guys. Let me know!

Fine. A serious response:  I have had good luck with Nike's when I was a runner. Particularly, I liked the narrow snug heels.  Ladies' Nike's work, even if you are not a lady. I am presuming narrow feet, not thin feet, which means... really flat?  Like a flipper?

running metalhead

Hello,

[...] no "serious runners" use Nike running [...]

As of trainers the Pegasus in all it's incarnations are pretty classic and serious. And the "frees" are nice too.
                          I am not too well informed about the competition shoes (I am more of an Adidas user) but they do exist and Nike is one of the Big players, thus serious.

maybe your friend meant that runners who used Nike were always telling jokes and making pranks 

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                          - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                          - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                          - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                          - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                          - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Neutral runner - I just wore my first pair of Nike's ever.   They were free in terms of price and I had to wear them since I was pacing a Nike sponsored event.   I selected the Vomero's - and I have to say I really liked the shoes.   I just retired them and I was able to get 490 miles out of them.   Toebox was a bit snug but not nearly as tight as I remember Nike shoes being when I played basketball in them roughly 20 years ago.

I would wear them again without any reservation whatsoever.   FWIW, I typically wear Nimbus' or Ghosts' most of the time, depending whatever I get a better deal on.   Now, I have 3 shoes that I am willing to wear based on the best price I can get. Smile  I average roughly 500 miles on any of these before I start to feel it in my legs a little bit.

jfa

I have four pairs of Nike Free's in rotation that have over 1,000 miles on each pair.

It's not that I'm cheap about replacing them, I just haven't had to.