Was Top Gun Gay? (Read 920 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

While Tom "I'm not at all gay, ask Nicole" Cruise is nutty as a fruitcake, he's been in some awesome flicks. Risky Business? Rain Man? Born on the Fourth July? And without Cruise, South Park's epic "In the Closet" episode would never have been possible.
    Agreed, but all those movies were pre-insanity

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

JakeKnight

Agreed, but all those movies were pre-insanity
      Leave Britney Tom alone! Cry

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Imminent Catastrophe

I was in the Marine Corps, an enlisted man working on airplanes, when this movie was popular. They missed the target on military life by about as much as possible. They made up for it by completely missing the target on airplanes, how they fly, and how they are flown.
        There's a movie called "The Final Countdown", where an aircraft carrier battle group gets caught in a time warp and goes back in time to the Pearl Harbor attack. It was a lot better, and more realistic than "Top Gun". I'm serious.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Imminent Catastrophe

Gay - no. Corny - yes. Although I do remember after this movie came out every red blooded guy in his 20's wanted to fly and F-14 and feel the "need for speed".
          And those knuckleheads came through flight school while I was an instructor, and had to "educate" them how things really worked.

My legs are killing me

And those knuckleheads came through flight school while I was an instructor, and had to "educate" them how things really worked.
            lol. I guess you didn't teach them how to "buzz" a tower. Big grin
            JakeKnight

lol. I guess you didn't teach them how to "buzz" a tower. Big grin
              Maverick was a sissy. THIS guy buzzed the tower in a Boeing 777. Landing gear up, 30-50 feet off the runway. With the boss on board. http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/aerospace/archives/132701.asp He's kind of unemployed now.

The Greatest of All Time

Maverick was a sissy. THIS guy buzzed the tower in a Boeing 777. Landing gear up, 30-50 feet off the runway. With the boss on board. http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/aerospace/archives/132701.asp He's kind of unemployed now.
                That's awesome! Can you imagine how damn loud that would be? Way beyond spilling some coffee on yourself, how about crapping yourself, or having a "grabber"?
                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

In the comment section of that link, theres a link to a video of a test pilot doing a barrel roll in 707. The video itself is pretty grainy, but the interview with the pilot is cool.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

"Tower, this is Ghost rider requesting a flyby." "Negative, Ghost Rider. The pattern is full".

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

My legs are killing me

"Tower, this is Ghost rider requesting a flyby." "Negative, Ghost Rider. The pattern is full".
                      LMAO. Buzzing the tower with the boss on board, now that is a pilot with some balls ! The poor guy is probably crushing stone with a mallet today though.
                        I hate to bring the conversation down, but it's amazing how many tragic aircraft accidents involve a showoff and a girlfriend with a video camera. I investigate accidents for a living these days. Clowns like the guy in the 777 should go back to kindergarten where they belong.
                        Do bears bear? Do bees be?

Imminent Catastrophe

I investigate accidents for a living these days. Clowns like the guy in the 777 should go back to kindergarten where they belong.
                          Words you never want to hear over the airplane intercom: "Watch this!" BTW I can't believe JK hasn't commented on my new avatar.

JakeKnight

BTW I can't believe JK hasn't commented on my new avatar.
                            Sorry. I'm a little slow. Very nice!

Words you never want to hear over the airplane intercom: "Watch this!"
                              Isn't the full official version "Hey Bubba, hold my beer and watch this"?

E.J.
                              Greater Lowell Road Runners
                              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.