Fear of strength training (Read 136 times)

T Hound

Slower but happier

I used to strength train a lot.  (Body wt type not lifting). I used to get ITB posterior tendinitis and metatarsalgia.  Then for whatever reason, I’ve left off it in any consistent fashion (I will do it to rehab little twinges here and there).  But I have no more major injury/ ITB.   Now I’m a little wary regular strength training but torn.  Of course, my mileage is higher and I’ve now been running more than a couple years compared to prior.  Wondering if there are other people with this hesitation to do it or such an experience.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

Still kicking

My most serious injuries have come from the gym. That's because I lifted like a body builder or power lifter, trying to add muscle and strength. I think that's the mistake... going at it too heavy and too hard. I still left 3-5 times a week, but now I use much lighter weights, higher reps, mostly machines, and go by the rule "don't do today, what you cannot do again tomorrow". I haven't been seriously injured in many years.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

jeffdonahue

I also have a similar issue.  When I do any kind of leg strength training (squats, lunges, etc...) I tend to get a flare up in my sciatica.

I do however, do what I can in terms of upper body strength training and that doesnt seem to affect me at all.

kcam

I misread the title as 'Feat of strength training'.  I thought this would be a thread about training to do well at Festivus.

T Hound

Slower but happier

How about The Airing of  Running Greivances

I misread the title as 'Feat of strength training'.  I thought this would be a thread about training to do well at Festivus.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Here you go.  Airing of Grievances

Running Problem

Problem Child

I previously did body building type lifting prior to running. When I started running a lot I quit lifting because they were a different focus. After about 5 years of not lifting I've started doing more body weight lifting (TRX Bands) and it seems to have helped with running and possibly injury prevention. I don't see myself going back to body building (4-5 reps, lots of protein, 5 day splits) any time soon and the "whole body" type workout seems to do what I want (support running) plus I don't have to do it at the gym. I can pack my TRX bands with me when I travel IF I want to workout. Unlike needing a squat rack, dumbells, and a mirror.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

How old are you?

Can always give it a whirl...and shut it down early... ie. if you're debating 3 vs 4 sets....choose 3.

anytime I try something new I tend to overdo it, and that's even with shutting it down early, so living and learning, but always glad when I'm pretty sore but not destroyed the day after, I'm always like, man, I'm glad I only did 3 sets and not 4, etc...

300m- 37 sec.