2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Also - here's a list of the top trials contenders in the US (full disclosure - I don't track the men's as closely as the women's - I also don't think there's as much depth on the men's side)i

Male:

Jared Ward

Scott Fauble

Galen Rupp

Female:

Amy Cragg

Sara Hall

Kellyn Taylor

Des Linden

Stephanie Bruce

Jordan Hasay

Aliphine Tuliamuk

Emma Bates

Molly Huddle

Dark Wave how you don't have a Ray Treacy athlete on that list. To be honest I expect two of his runners to upset the whole apple cart in New balance and Saucony no less. None those girls can beat Treacy's best girl. If they choose to do marathon vs Track Des best finish will be third.  Atlanta favors grinders Des is not a grinder. An opportunist maybe but not a grinder.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

I've run with that guy before - he's local to me. ~2:32 marathon guy, if I remember. Something tells me you two would actually get along quite well. 
      50k record Strava activity.

DWave - Definitely agree that the women's side is stacked compared to the men's. Has Rupp even had more than one good race in the past couple years? Also, Jim Walmsley will be a fun one to watch in the trials. People love to yell about how top road marathoners could clean house in ultras, but seeing the opposite transition is quite interesting to me.

Brew - What if you got the old carbon fiber shoe on clearance??

Garmin Forerunner 220

Shoes: adidas Ultra Boost (17,597.6 mi)

Keen,  I don't think we would get along I'm a shoe whore he has no idea how to change his shoes on Strava let alone using a Garmin 220. Ewww he sucks purist elitist.  I'm no longer like that watchless shorts shoes. I miss those days no watch, no shirt, no cares, just run all you want, triple even quadruples.

it was all so simple then.....

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

weather - thanks for mentioning the deal, I bought one pair too, just in case Mikkey is too picky for a specific model to compete in Smile But seriously, never saw a price cheaper than this.

I have the original Vaporfly 4% with about 60 miles on them and have no plans to upgrade this year. I don’t think it’s going to make much difference anyway with my current fitness....apparently (according to Marky) they don’t work properly unless you’re running at 6:30 pace or faster. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Dark Wave how you don't have a Ray Treacy athlete on that list. To be honest I expect two of his runners to upset the whole apple cart in New balance and Saucony no less. None those girls can beat Treacy's best girl. If they choose to do marathon vs Track Des best finish will be third.  Atlanta favors grinders Des is not a grinder. An opportunist maybe but not a grinder.

Molly Huddle's there.  So he's covered.  I take it you're thinking Emily Sisson?:

We could add her. She's another contender then that won't be wearing VFs....

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Molly Huddle's there.  So he's covered.  I take it you're thinking Emily Sisson?:

All I can say from that camp is that training is well. Molly Huddle has made a good recovery and both will be very ready for the race.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Um Des...Boston....??????

100% a grinder

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Ooops Didnt see Molly all the way at the bottom. Yes, I have Sisson to win the whole show. Sisson will be wearing NB prototypes I wonder what will Hall wear? Roecker's been having a rough go. But another solid Treacy athlete.

Jared has a good shot along with Brogan Austin, Patrick Smyth.Im excited for trials.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Um Des...Boston....??????

100% a grinder

Definitely not. I like Meb and Des. But they get lead around like goats. Meb too was an oportunist, both had special circumstances in their wins*.

Shalane did it the hard way even though Mary was on her period. The best marathon victory I ever saw was Constantina Diță, thats how Meb won with Americans blocking him.  Constantina went to work early grinded all race then when the sharks attacked she was long gone.

I think that was a bigger victory for runners than breaking 2. That will always be my favorite marathon victory of all time.

She beat a damn good field, soundly.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I think the length of their careers, consistancy, and winning in horrible weather are peak grinder aspects along with victories and high finishes on non flat marathons.  **shrugs** my 2 cents. I don't think either of them could be led anywhere. Pretty darn resilient and impressive people.

Definitely not. I like Meb and Des. But they get lead around like goats. Meb too was an oportunist, both had special circumstances in their wins*.

Shalane did it the hard way even though Mary was on her period. The best marathon victory I ever saw was Constantina Diță, thats how Meb won with Americans blocking him.  Constantina went to work early grinded all race then when the sharks attacked she was long gone.

I think that was a bigger victory for runners than breaking 2. That will always be my favorite marathon victory of all time.

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Interesting question: what is a grinder?  There seems to be different definitions - Nimmals leaning towards someone who is a front runner rather than sitting in a pack and kicking; DPS preferring someone who consistently runs their own race and can beat arguably more talented runners through a combination of toughness and intelligent execution.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Yes.

Interesting question: what is a grinder?  There seems to be different definitions - Nimmals leaning towards someone who is a front runner rather than sitting in a pack and kicking; DPS preferring someone who consistently runs their own race and can beat arguably more talented runners through a combination of toughness and intelligent execution.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Also worth noting - those two definitions are not mutually exclusive.  Dita's Olympic victory arguably fits in both.

Andres1045

I don't remember anyone "blocking" the favorites. I thought it was Ryan Hall and someone else saying they decided not to push the pace too much. Something like "if the leaders are going to catch Meb, they'll need to do it on their own, not with our help."

If Meb was just an opportunist, he had a lot of lucky opportunities. Bronze in 2004. Won both NY and Boston. Second at the trials at like 39 or 40.

Upcoming races: Boston

Resident Historian

Quote from dpschumacher on 2/6/2020 at 4:15 PM:

I wear a 12 or 11.5 and frequently buy my shoes for $50....

Quote from Brewing Runner on 2/7/2020 at 4:59 AM:

You lucky dog. 10.5 all day long. Sucks being average sometimes. At least I can sit on a plane comfortably in the middle seat.

While you people with small feet are picking through the sale racks, my "longboats" wait in vain for a pair of Vaporfly Size 14 to get into. 
                              I simply do not sit in middle seats. I'd have to be carried off the plane.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Quote from dpschumacher on 2/6/2020 at 4:15 PM:

Quote from Brewing Runner on 2/7/2020 at 4:59 AM:

While you people with small feet are picking through the sale racks, my "longboats" wait in vain for a pair of Vaporfly Size 14 to get into. 

It would be nice if they'd actually reliably make shoes for small feet.  I'm very annoyed at Skechers right now.  I really want to try their new Speed Elite Hyper, but the smallest size it comes in is men's 8.

So we have opposite but similar concerns.