a runner with a drinking problem (Read 578 times)

NHLA

There comes a day each year in early summer when it's like a switch is flipped in my body, and I suddenly go from drinking 4 ounces of water after a run to drinking 4 glasses of water.  You'd think there would be a gradual adaptation, but that doesn't seem to be the case with me.

+1 Me too.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Can you remember your milage from last summer? Have you significantly increased speed / mileage since then?

Sadly, no.

That is, my mileage might be a fraction higher, and I'd very much like to think I'm a fraction faster, but that's mostly imagination and inside the boundaries of statistical error...

And all my miles are outside, so I ought to be acclimated - I've already been running and doing speedwork and even racing in 90F or so.

Maybe I'll try supplementing with salt etc (thanks DB), along with some of the other suggestions from this thread.

This is my first outdoor running summer. Last year, I would stay inside on the TM, so Im still acclimating to what I need. Yesterday I did a 6.5 mile run and used 20 oz. Today 5.5 mile run and only drank 1 sip. Yesterday (feels like) 101 with humidity - today 65-70. But I was covered in sweat when I came home today. Just wasnt as thirsty.

I can remember being used to it - or at least I think I was - hard to know if that is old age & fading memory betraying me, but I think I was less affected later in the summer.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Best Present Ever

That is, my mileage might be a fraction higher, and I'd very much like to think I'm a fraction faster, but that's mostly imagination and inside the boundaries of statistical error...

It is well known that when one appears to be running faster, that is never due to any kind of measurement error.  When one is running slower, the first assumption is, of course, that something is wrong -- watch acting up, distance run mismeasured, etc.

I thought this was going to be a Pre Dopplebock thread.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

And this season is upon me again. This morning I ran my first contiguous long run in a while (21mi). Forgot to have breakfast. Probably drank 40oz from my water bottle during the run, and at least that much soda immediately afterward.

Happily my stomach didn't hurt, and I proceeded pretty quickly into solid food.

And felt okay to run several more miles after eating.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My body has had no experience in the last seven months with running in heat.  The hydration thing could be a delicate balance in Boston if the temps get into the 70s, but more recent forecasts are looking much better (high of 58F).

TripleBock

Damn straight - This thread disappoints me

Thanks for all the suggestions; I'll experiment. I appreciate the input. Also I thought of a better title than "too thirsty after running"...

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock