Lets be realistic (Read 2364 times)

Well said.  My best races hurt the least, or at least that's my perception because I was able to put the hurt aside to the point of not even being able to remember it.  I think bad races hurt more than good ones because the "pain" of racing is mostly mental and the anxiety and frustration of not being able to do what you want only increases it.

The kind of mental toughness it takes to be a good distance runner is not something that's conjured up at some moment of truth late in a race with mantras like "HTFU."  It's developed a little bit at a time, over many, many miles over many, many days and weeks and years.  In a race where you're truly ready do to what you came to do, there is a lot less anxiety.  There's excitement and nervous energy, sure, but not the kind of anxiety and dread that comes with biting off more than you can chew.  The preparation and planning is over and now there's nothing left but the running.

Mikey and Jeff,

It's interesting to me that your remarks come in response to a question about the marathon (Mikey even specifically referenced distance running).  The problem I am having is that, while at the approach to the foothills of becoming a marathoner, I have suddenly become fixated on the 5k.  Now, I know your comments were not meant to be limited to long-distance races.  But, for me, all I have thought about over the last two years when I think about racing is essentially this: get in a comfortable groove and hold on (or chop away).  The 5k is really something I cannot get my head around.  So, my natural reaction is to kind of get all wound up and anxious. I get lost in the "the anxiety and frustration of not being able to do what [I] want."  I think my subconscious feel for the 5k that it's an event where you go out there and hurt yourself, cause, hey, how long could it last?

mta: grammar

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

The 5k is a long distance race.

Runners run

oh.

A Saucy Wench

Well said.  My best races hurt the least, or at least that's my perception because I was able to put the hurt aside to the point of not even being able to remember it.  I think bad races hurt more than good ones because the "pain" of racing is mostly mental and the anxiety and frustration of not being able to do what you want only increases it.

Yes.  Very much so.  I think that is the beauty and frustration of marathons especially because when you realize at mile 3 or 6 that this day isnt going to work, it is a long long damn time to push through that pain.  In a race that works at some point the pain is overcome by the inner roar of impending victory.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

L Train

I'm taking what jimmy and nobby are saying to be consistent with what mikey (and probably others) has said that it's more about a long slow buildup of weekly miles than it is a focus on long training runs, and that almost all runs but 2 workouts per week could really be construed to be recovery runs.  I think I even remember mikey saying that he might not be opposed to someone peaking at 16 MPW for marathon training if the overall base were there.  This approach takes a lot more discipline and foresight IMO but I've bought into it.  Thus my comment earlier in the thread about 50-60 mile weeks for 5 months virtually guaranteeing the OP's success.  I've got pacing issues and I've yet to run a decent marathon, but I'm going to be coming from a much larger base in October.  If I do what I intend I will be confident no matter the number of 20(+?) mile runs I get in. 

And Nads, quit stressing about the 5K.  Just keep doing what you are doing and run like hell on race day.  Like me, you haven't raced enough 5Ks to know what you are supposed to feel like.  You will soon enough I suspect.  Hell, there's 5Ks every weekend somewhere.  We'll bothy run 19:58s (on a certified course) before the end of the year.

Prince of Fatness

We'll bothy run 19:58s (on a certified course) before the end of the year.

I see what you did there, dick.

Not at it at all. 

We'll bothy run 19:58s (on a certified course) before the end of the year.

like.

I think I even remember mikey saying that he might not be opposed to someone peaking at 16 MPW for marathon training

I've said some crazy stuff but I'm pretty sure I never said that.

Runners run

You said MPH.  Quit splitting hairs.

.  I think I even remember mikey saying that he might not be opposed to someone peaking at 16 MPW for marathon training if the overall base were there.  

I guess you meant 16 mile long run.  I have a training plan that does the same, but has a 10 mile MP run   and 6-8 X mile repeats per week, peaks at 50 MPW, not sure where I copied that from

L Train

I see what you did there, dick.

7 minutes to respond.  You're slipping.

L Train

I've said some crazy stuff but I'm pretty sure I never said that.

Happyfeet is right - I meant 16 mile long runs.

This is what a peak week looks like in that plan.

Strength is 6 X 1 mile or 2 X 3 mile with half distance recovery

Mon   Tue         Wed    Thu  Fri  Sat  Sun  Total

5 or 6    strength  Off MP 10   5 or 6 8 or 10 16  50

MTA Tried to fix wonky formatting and atrocious spelling

Prince of Fatness

7 minutes to respond.  You're slipping.

Sorry but there are other things in life besides responding to your posts, like work for example.

Not at it at all. 

L Train

Sorry but there are other things in life besides responding to your posts, like work for example.

Just trying to keep you in the game.  Of course, I've got your best interest at heart.