The 5K that wasn't, and why it doesn't matter (Read 1032 times)

This is a long post, about a 5k that wasn’t…read if you’re bored (or need a distraction from all the BQ conversations)…

It’s been a long time – 10 years now – since my 5k PR (18:36) – set back when I was just starting getting serious about running at 24. It was tucked somewhere between a couple of marathons, HMs, and 20ks. Not the most impressive time, clearly, but semi-respectable for a hacker. Anyway, this year has been all about 5ks, and trying to get back under that time. And I have been getting there, 19:15 in June, 18:57 last month. So, was pretty amped for yesterday. Have felt unbelievable this past month, finding a way to squeeze in a few extra miles each week (amazing what a little guilt from reading these boards will do), and feel stronger/faster than I have in a long time.

So, had high expectations for yesterday. Was telling fellow runners openly (find declaring it out loud has some power) that 18:30 was mine. No problem. With the right weather, could even be better.

Showed up Sunday ready to race. Was an A+ fall day in New England. Spectacular, peaking color leaves, full sunshine, 65 degrees…doesn’t get better than that.  Now, for a few weeks I’ve been looking for a course map for this race – none online that I could find, so figured they’d have one there at the reg. Nope. That’s when things started to get interesting. Saw a couple of guys in triathlon tech shirts looking at a printout, so went over to ask them if I could take a look – these were great guys by the way, turned out to be the old college roommates of the marine in whose honor the race is run to raise money for a scholarship in his name. The map was hilarious, like someone just randomly drew squiggly lines all over the place…welcome to my first cross country course. 12th year of this race, so asked the guys about it. They said, “every year it’s the same…basically a race for the first mile, then we start asking each other which way to go, and make it up as best we can. One year, we’re pretty sure we ran it right, were out in front the whole time, then with 100 yards to go a group of like 40 joggers burst out of the woods randomly in front of us…you’ve never seen a group so impressed with their ‘times’”.  So, needless to say, it’s not the best ‘staffed’ race, there aren’t any volunteers to tell you where to go, no clocks, no chips, etc. The course had some painted arrows (there was a large XC invitation meet Saturday), but that didn’t really help.

I asked the roommates their times – all sub 18 guys – so I figured I would try and stick with them, that they would pull me along, and hopefully keep me from getting lost. So, we lined up at the start…and that’s when it started to hit me…priest gave a invocation, Congressman Murphy spoke, and the honoree’s brother gave a short thank you. And all of a sudden, I didn’t care about 18:30. Was here on top of this hill (and wow this is a hilly course by the way), with a bunch of folks, 90% of whom were there really to support the memory of their friend, fund his scholarship and have fun together. Sounds kind of cheesy, but I’ve done a lot of “Run For fill in the blank” races, and none of them felt like this one, so personal.

Anyway, race was really fun. Stuck with the roommates the whole time, and we led from start to “finish”. Very fast pace, and held it the whole time, which was pretty tough considering the hills (this was Canterbury School XC course in New Milford, CT for anyone who knows it). Best guess based on the first mile was 5:54s. Second mile on the sloping hay fields we got completely lost. One guy, quite impressively, pulled out the map while never breaking pace, in an effort to orient us, and we tried best we could to stick to what we were pretty sure the course was. At about 10 mins, we saw a big group coming down the trail right at us, and knew something was wrong. But kept plowing forward. Came into the final turns, and quite clearly we hadn’t run 5000m. Was still feeling really good, and at this point our lead pack had turned into just me and two of the roommates. Finish was in site, and for about a half a second I thought about a ‘finishing kick’, but then realized how silly that was, considering. Crossed the line right behind my new running partners, took the electrical tape off my watch to check our time – 13:12. Obviously we missed a few turns. Best guess was we covered somewhere around 2 and quarter. Didn’t really care though. Such a great day out, and really the whole reason for being there wasn’t about my time, or my effort. Met some really good people, and the run was fun in a way a lot of races haven’t been for me – it was more about running with these guys than running against them or the clock.

I’ll get 18:30 another day. And I’ll enjoy the memory of yesterday for what it was.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
    Mr Play

I for one enjoyed reading that - Thanks!

Bravo!  Loved reading this!

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

I'm glad you were able to figure out what you were getting yourself into before it started, as that probably alleviated a lot of frustration. You don't have to run an 18:30 to be an 18:30 runner. You know you're there. Congrats.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Great un-race report! Smile  Glad you were able to go with the flow and just have fun.  Let us know when that 18:30 happens!

Great read!  I'm sure many of us have been in your same shoes at one point in time.  Mine was a couple of years ago when I had in my mind I wanted to get under 18 pushing one of the kids in the stroller.  My previous best with a kid was 18:36.  So, we had it all set and decided to "race" in a "Fun Run" in downtown Chicago.  First clue should have been the emphasis on "Fun" in the title of the "Fun N Run" 5k.  Oh well, the wife was there and she watched our oldest while I got take our youngest on his first "official" race. 

We took off well, weaved around corners and in-and-around people on the bike path.  The route was well marked with plenty of volunteers to help out.  About 800m in the race, the young kid that took off like a jack-rabbit faded quickly.  From then on it was my son in the stroller trailing after the lead guy on a bike.  At about the two mile mark, my son was hanging off the side and when I looked back, I realized he dropped his prize possession from the day - his favorite Cookie Monster stuffed animal.  So we swung around, picked it up and continued on.  When we made it to the finish, the person there timing was surprised and didn't expect us to show up.  Overall time - 15:45.  No way in hell was that a 5k!  Second place came strolling in about 2 min behind.  We ran well and probably could have been under goal time but with how much I had left in the tank at the end, there was no way.

Oh well, we had a great time with the event and playing at the beach afterwards.  Haven't had the opportunity to try again for that sub-18 with the stroller.  I keep telling myself some year...unfortunately those peeps are only getting bigger and it's only going to get harder to do that.

MoBramExam

Good story / race report.  Uplifting read.

Great un-race report! Smile  Glad you were able to go with the flow and just have fun.  Let us know when that 18:30 happens!

Thanks everyone. Oct 31, I'll knock it out on a Halloween road race (and hopefully carry a little of the spirit of this race to that one).

xhristopher

Happend to me as a teenager in a small 10K. I was in the front group and we all got lost. We tried to backtrack and get on course but when we crossed the line posting times in the low 30s we were all rightfully disqualified. I think the person who was eventually declared the winner was very surprised.

lazy distance runner

i was going to run that race but was kinda beat from hartford the weekend before and running roxbury the day before. i didn't even know about it until friday when my wife saw it in the paper. are you running brookfield on the 31st? i noticed your profile pic is king of the hill thats a nice run.

beat

Break on through

Nice report, H2bubbles.  I'm in that King of the Hill picture too. Good luck on your Halloween race!

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

i was going to run that race but was kinda beat from hartford the weekend before and running roxbury the day before. i didn't even know about it until friday when my wife saw it in the paper. are you running brookfield on the 31st? i noticed your profile pic is king of the hill thats a nice run.

Yep, will be in Brookfield, red shirt as usual...I see you and 'beat's times at all the locals (beat because he's usually at or near the top, and you because you're right around my times and in my AG)...hope to see you both there

Well, pretty close today. 18:34.

5:54, 5:56, 6:05. Couldn't hold those last few seconds on the final hill. Still a PR by a couple of seconds and 10 years, so still pretty happy.

beat

Break on through

Nice run! - I haven't run that race, but I have heard that that course has a couple of decent  hills - probably worth 5 seconds at least, compared to a flat course.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."