Athlete dies in a tri (Read 2691 times)

Scout7

100% of people who participate in a triathlon die.
    C-R

Now you are a fatalist too? Time to put away the Nirvana/INXS CDs and get out on the road for some endorphins to help you be the normal crusty irascible cantankerous runner full of stubborn ideas that we all know and love. BTW - stop feeding the Trent troll MTA - isn't swimming in any NYC water source considered life threatening.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Scout7

I was just pointing out the statistics.

running yogi

100% of people who participate in a triathlon die.
          yeah, but not while participating in the tri. that's sad. i am coming across too much of such news these days. kind of begining to scare me a bit.
            It's always during the swim. Three deaths this year in the U.S. in triathlons... Sad
            JakeKnight

It's always during the swim. Three deaths this year in the U.S. in triathlons... Sad
              Strange. I would have blamed the bikes.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Mr R

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

And someone I know died training for an Ironman while swimming off the coast of China earlier this year. Bummer. Always sad to read that stuff.
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I think you're more likely to die driving to and from the race than actually participating in it.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I think you're more likely to die driving to and from the race than actually participating in it.
                      +1
                      JakeKnight

You're probably several orders of magnitude more likely to get hurt on the drive to the race than during the race. But that wouldn't make a good news story, now would it?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You're probably several orders of magnitude more likely to get hurt on the drive to the race than during the race. But that wouldn't make a good news story, now would it?
                          No, but it might make a good Onion news story. "Local man dies driving home from Yosemite after dangerous BASE jump off El Capitan."

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

TRIing to beat the heat!

This is the first thing I thought of as well. Always during the swim. So very sad... Sad

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

De-slacking in progress

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14