Where to eat/run in Phoenix pelase? (Read 71 times)

Mysecondnewname

Going to be in Phoenix shortly and staying within about 5 miles of the Sky Harbor airport during the week.  (I will have a car)

Are there any safe/convenient places where you would recommend to run near where I'm staying?

Any favorite restaurants you would recommend nearby?  (I'll eat pretty much anything).

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Art in AZ

I live in Mesa which is the East side of things so I don't know any specific areas. Depending on where you are staying I think there are a few options. There is the canal system which has paved paths you can run on. If you like trail running, South ot the airport is South Mountain. Several trails there. Check out more trails in the Phoenix area here: http://www.solesportsrunning.com/content/phoenix-area-trails-18.html

There are really a lot of places to run, depends on how much time you have and how far you want to go.

As for the food, here's one magazine's readers choices: http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/best-of

I like the Four Peaks Brewery restaurant in Tempe. Good food and good beer.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

For running check RA's Run Spots.

steph  

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

All of these are within 5 miles of the airport.

OHSO Brew Pub has excellent food and beer.

Camelback and Piestawa Peak are very popular challenging hikes.  Just be prepared that parking can be a challenge.

La Grande Orange has a great breakfast and espresso bar and fantastic pizzas.

The Lux in downtown for hipster coffee and food.

Postinos is a good wine bar with good food too.

Angels Trumpet for another good brew pub. 28 rotating beers on tap

Not running or eating but The Nash is a cool

little jazz club.

You people have issues 

Mysecondnewname

Thanks everybody--I sure appreciate all of your input!   I'm looking up all of the suggestions now.

I run on the canal system.  Hard packed gravel, no traffic to deal with, a lot of other runners. You can pick it up at a lot of different spots (probably closest for you would be about 40th and Camelback).

Maniac

Here is a handy map of the canals with a "distance calculator".  Don't know if you'll find it helpful.  I do all my running way out in the East Valley (prob farther than you want to drive).

http://www.srpnet.com/water/canals/distances.aspx

There is some nice running around Tempe Town Lake that also connects to a path/sidewalk that goes way north into Scottsdale through a series of parks.  No worries about cars....I always like that.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

wbudde

For food, definitely go to Chino Bandido Takee Outee. It is a mixture of Mexican and Chinese food, with a little Jamaican thrown.