2019 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 173 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Not that I'm running, but...for temps like this, I always like wearing a singlet and arm warmers. As you (and the temps) heat up as the race goes on, you can ditch the arm warmers.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

Disregard my babbling.  I see now that it's based on projected finish times.  I had entered a projected finish of 3:50 so I'm in your corral MendelDave (Orange Wave 2 Corral F).  Will you be at the Expo on Saturday?  Hoping to stop by the pacers area to say hello.

Which start/wave do you go out with as a pacer?  My first marathon and no clue how the pacers go out. I had a great run at the NJ Half in Longbranch back in April running the first 6 miles with the 1:40 pacer and felt so good I increased my pace to finish at 1:37 (last mile was a 6:40)

I'm orange / wave 2 running with three goals:

1. finish

2. under 4

3. 3:40

hoping to go out at 1:50 - 1:55 for first half and see how I'm feeling to move up to 3:40 pace and then see what's left in the tank after mile 20-21.

2019:  Run my first marathon.

"Who you are will show in what you do"

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

Not that I'm running, but...for temps like this, I always like wearing a singlet and arm warmers. As you (and the temps) heat up as the race goes on, you can ditch the arm warmers.

Old socks work great as throw away arm warmers.  My wife is glad I'm at least getting rid of some old clothes by taking them to the start. Wink

Julia1971

Have a great race tomorrow, everyone!

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

Finished!  1st marathon complete.  3:59:15.  I think the biggest surprise to me was just how crowded the course remained throughout.  Many times had to slow down due to congestion.  Probably my biggest mistake was darting around in brooklyn to try to avoid congestion...probably used up too much energy.  Water/gatorade stations were nuts with how many people just came to a dead stop to get drinks.  Also surprised how many jerks ran across the course!  Almost ran right into two girls running across the street in Brooklyn.

Quads started cramping just before entering Central Park.  Stopped quick to stretch them out and grind out the last 2.5.  Was mentally grueling to finish esp. since I knew I was so close to the 4 hour mark...didn't want to miss that milestone!

Hope everyone else had a great race!!!!

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Congratulations JZ. It's funny to remember the same things from my NYC debut too. The congestion throughout and pedestrians. I ran into a guy crossing in the Bronx. It still makes me giggle

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

ultramarathon/triathlete

Nice work everyone!

I pulled my 3:50 crew through at 3:49:27.  Another one in the books.

And sorry I missed the post about pacers!  You can always find us at the pacer booth at the expo, where you'll get lots of info.  So for 2020, come check out the booth if you want to run with a pacer and need more info (no need to sign up to run with a pacer, just come by the booth to say hi).

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

Julia1971

Sorry for the delayed check-in...  I had a rough day.  I went out on goal pace - sub-3:38, which is my guaranteed qualifying time for next year's race.  At Mile 10ish, it became clear that wasn't going to happen so I turned it into a long run.  I felt okay until around Mile 16 and then I felt completely depleted...  I've "hit the wall" in training a couple of times and was fearful that it might happen during the race.  For the first time, I really considered taking a DNF.  But, I shuffled my way to the finish in 4:07:46 (9:27 pace) - beating the 2018 Boston Marathon for my slowest marathon.

I had trouble with my earbuds before the race so I ran most of the race without music and the cheering of the crowds was amazing.  I also had my name printed on my shirt and it felt like someone was constantly yelling my name and encouraging me to finish.  Not sure I could have done this without the spectators.

I knew there was a chance that training for an ultra while training for a marathon would derail one or the other (or both!), so this isn't completely unexpected.  And, I already have a non-guaranteed qualifying time for next year, so other than being disappointed in my time, there were no negative consequences.  In fact, a positive is that I finished on my feet!

Race report to follow in a few days...

LRB

3:26:26 for me (details of the carnage can be found here).

TL;DR, It was well off my goal, so I was licking my wounds post-race as well. I had a great cycle though and have a few positives to take from the race.

P.S. Times Square was awesome.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

TL;DR, It was well off my goal, so I was licking my wounds post-race as well. I had a great cycle though and have a few positives to take from the race.

I didn't run NYC this year, so maybe it's not my place to jump in, but I read your RR, and am moved to comment. First, congrats on getting what to me is a great time! I know you were disappointed, but with a marathon, there are so many factors that you can't control, you just have to judge the outcome considering your performance in the context of the conditions at the time. Looks to me like you handled it really well. Don't beat up on yourself! Smile

So I just did MCM in DC, and decided to give up on my goal pace early on. I found the congestion of other runners affected me a lot worse in this race than it did in NYC. The crowds probably vary kind of randomly, depending on where you're positioned. In NYC, I didn't experience a stampede of rhinoceroses the way you did.  Here's my RR from NYC in 2015, for what it's worth. Some similarities to yours, some differences.

So again, great job!

LRB

Here's my RR from NYC in 2015, for what it's worth. Some similarities to yours, some differences. 

The similarities are eerily similar, and I loved Brooklyn. I cranked up an old classic as soon as I got back to my room.

Regarding MCM, I think if a serviceman salutes you, you salute back as a show of respect. I don't know that as fact but I personally would not walk away without some kind of acknowledgement.YMMV

Nice job on racing in the rain, and even more so for standing in it for all of that time beforehand, that had to suck. What's next for you?

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

Nice work everyone!

I pulled my 3:50 crew through at 3:49:27.  Another one in the books.

And sorry I missed the post about pacers!  You can always find us at the pacer booth at the expo, where you'll get lots of info.  So for 2020, come check out the booth if you want to run with a pacer and need more info (no need to sign up to run with a pacer, just come by the booth to say hi).

Thanks Dave!  I tried to find you at the Expo on Saturday but both times I came by they said you were just there but stepped away.  I was going to find you in Corral F but slipped under the ropes to E to try to get to a porta potty!  I was really annoyed that they were only really accessible to Corrals A-D, and when they dropped the ropes a NYRR woman immediately started telling everyone on line to head for the start as they were going to close the gates in 5 minutes!  I learned now though that if I would have just headed to the last few closest to the start that there was nearly no line.  As a result, I never found you in the mix.

I was trending nicely around 3:45 pace through brooklyn/queens but started to feel the energy drain coming up first ave.  By mile 22 I was trying to hang on to stay under 4!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

In the three NYCMs I've done, Brooklyn is by far the loudest. I always felt that people on First Ave were either there to be part of the scene, or they were looking for their particular runner. The people of Brooklyn seem to be there to cheer on runners.

Everyone needs to stop saying the "wall of sound" on First Ave when trying to hype up the race. The true wall of sound is always Lafayette. Feel like I'm running through a stadium.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

Thanks for your race report.  It makes me feel a little better about how I was beating myself up as I reflected on Brooklyn and how much darting I did to try to keep pace - water/gatorade tables were also extremely hard to navigate.  I tried to wait til the end of the tables to grab but still found myself running into people or having to be elusive to avoid a collision.  I really feel like these factors affected my performance.  It was my first marathon so finishing and getting in under 4 hours were my #1 & #2 goals, which I accomplished (just barely!)  but I really thought I had a shot at hitting around 3:40 - 3:45 based on my training (I had a 21 mile workout @ 2:56 w/ close to 400' elevation).

Taper was good but I think I peaked a week early.  I dunno...  I thought I'd never want to do this again, but as I always find, my competitiveness vs. myself always gets the better of me.  I'm still in pain and already thinking about when I'll take another shot at 26.2!

LRB

I'm still in pain and already thinking about when I'll take another shot at 26.2!

Well it's been 6 days, which race have you chosen??